Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills 2022 Draft Pick: Round 6, Pick #180: P - Matt Araiza - San Diego State [released]

Bills Fans

6 minutes ago, Ann said:

Well, it is so smart that there is no longer money to settle. And, with trial by Twitter, how much has he further damaged that poor girl in the process? And he’s her attorney!

Well, considering he apparently put her name in one of the tweets he deleted, it definitely seems he's caused her further harm.  But she was on TV herself discussing this, so maybe she was cool with it.

Feel really bad for her as her life will never be the same after that October day.  Maybe the silver lining of this is parents can show their children a very public example of what can happen when you put yourself into the situation that was set up at that party.  The girl has had her life arc tremendously altered and the 5 boys involved likely had theirs altered as well.  And none were altered in a positive manner.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cinga said:

I'm not going to comment a lot on this but just this one time hopefully to point out a few issues in this entire thing.

First, the police knew about this when it happened, and even wired her to follow up 

It appears he admitted in the conversation to having sex with her yet the police must not have thought they had enough evidence to charge him with rape vs consensual sex

I see in the comments that her scumbag lawyer was probably holding out on filing the civil suit (which doesn't prove criminal guilt) for him to make the team

If that's the case. he totally f***ed that up since rosters are not set until the first day of the season. 

If he had however waited until Thursday game to file, he would have then had at least a guaranteed salary for the year to go after, now he only has the signing bonus

Finally, why is this single charge of a rookie getting so much more attention than the multiple charges against Watson got out of the gate? Is it because Watson was an established vet or something more nefarious? 

I'll say it. Araiza is a "White Hispanic" while Watson is just another Black guy wrongly accused of sexual misconduct with 24 unrelated women. Black Watson deserves his quarter of a billion dollars in guaranteed money while Araiza doesn't even deserve due process. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Seems to me that one of two things were happening with this civil case.  

Either Ariaza is guilty and that girl’s lawyer mishandled her interests badly.  

Or the lawyer knows that his claims against Ariaza are false at worst/weak at best and tried to get everyone to pay before his case would be tested in Court. And even then it looks like he badly mishandled things. 

Aside from that…

I think I read somewhere along the way that the SDPD investigation has just recently concluded and that the SDDA will look into whether anyone may be charged. Hopefully the justice system takes care of whoever attacked that girl. Hopefully, someone’s taking care of her outside the legal system, as well.

I’m not commenting on whether the Bills should have released Ariaza or not. There were a number of things that they could have done. They chose their path. Maybe I’m reading into Beane’s “culture” comment a bit, but I have a feeling that the locker room is okay with releasing Ariaza. I guess I’m assuming that the front office would have taken the temperature of the players before making their decision.

And that’s hopefully the last you’ll hear from me on this topic.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Mods---should we consider a device for The Dude that would prevent him from posting if he is determined to be high? I mean he actually told me that he lied about a rape in order to get me to call him out so that I could understand his position. 

You were so close. You almost understood. 

Don’t worry on the kids thing, bro — I’m out. You win😉

Edited by The_Dude

3 hours ago, The_Dude said:

We do too, now! Somebody needs to be fired. A mid-management sacking. Whoever the regional scout was, or the security rep who’s supposed to look into this…

"Am I still available to be fired?"

Image result for russ brandon arms up picture

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, snafu said:

Or the lawyer knows that his claims against Ariaza are false at worst/weak at best and tried to get everyone to pay before his case would be tested in Court. And even then it looks like he badly mishandled things. 

Aside from that…

I think I read somewhere along the way that the SDPD investigation has just recently concluded and that the SDDA will look into whether anyone may be charged. Hopefully the justice system takes care of whoever attacked that girl. Hopefully, someone’s taking care of her outside the legal system, as well.

I’m not commenting on whether the Bills should have released Ariaza or not. There were a number of things that they could have done. They chose their path. Maybe I’m reading into Beane’s “culture” comment a bit, but I have a feeling that the locker room is okay with releasing Ariaza. I guess I’m assuming that the front office would have taken the temperature of the players before making their decision.

See. I don't believe this can make much sense. To take this long to investigate without an indictment is bizzare.

The police almost always seek to get enough to indict first and let the DA lead the investigation with detectives.

I don't think there is enough "there" there to criminally charge.

I got warned ATOP to stay out of these discussions, which I was mostly doing. Me being me and shit about me would make my a lightning rod which I would be at fault over when others attacked me I was told. Wtf... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT: When a civil suit is filed prior to any criminal charges having been made there should be a natural reluctance to automatically believe the claims. If money will assuage the "victim's" damage then the basic charges should be viewed with a grain of salt. I'm not claiming Araiza's innocence but I am saying that at the very least we should all let the evidence come out before placing blame. I'm old enough to remember the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin nonsense ATOP and in the MSM. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
32 minutes ago, Cinga said:

I'm not going to comment a lot on this but just this one time hopefully to point out a few issues in this entire thing.

First, the police knew about this when it happened, and even wired her to follow up 

It appears he admitted in the conversation to having sex with her yet the police must not have thought they had enough evidence to charge him with rape vs consensual sex

I see in the comments that her scumbag lawyer was probably holding out on filing the civil suit (which doesn't prove criminal guilt) for him to make the team

If that's the case. he totally f***ed that up since rosters are not set until the first day of the season. 

If he had however waited until Thursday game to file, he would have then had at least a guaranteed salary for the year to go after, now he only has the signing bonus

Finally, why is this single charge of a rookie getting so much more attention than the multiple charges against Watson got out of the gate? Is it because Watson was an established vet or something more nefarious? 

They were also building a case against multiple defendants, which takes time. 

And even against one defendant...I've seen it take as long as six months.  Sexual assault cases are insanely difficult to prosecute, so a proper investigation takes time.  It's not like on TV, where it takes an hour.  People's expectations have been really spoiled by police procedurals.

• Like 2

RochesterRob
11 minutes ago, snafu said:

Aside from that…

Culture and the locker room do not matter.  This only existed for a couple of days and it was plain as day that this was corrosive for McDermott and his need to administrate to the team.  If the team cannot play to win a championship then maybe it is best to find out who needs to exist as a frat boy so they can be gone the next offseason.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

You were so close. You almost understood. 

Don’t worry on the kids thing, bro — I’m out. You win😉

This is for you. When you surrender because of your Joe Biden like statements maybe just a white flag should do. 

See the source image

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, Big Gun said:

Hmmm...... did her dirtbag lawyer sit on this for 10 months knowing Araiza might hook on with an NFL team just so he could get a bigger payday and include whatever NFL team he landed on in the civil suit? Reading his words make it seem so, what a &#%$ing scumbag! 

He is not getting much of a payday as it is.  One third of nothing is still nothing.  On top of that he now has the rep of a premature ejac that could not get a seven figure settlement across the finish line.  

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I mean, he did call out the Bills in the announcement of the civil suit.  He all but named then as accomplices.  He absolutely does think so.

Or, he's simply following the Steve Dallas school of lawsuit protocol - go after the deepest pockets you can find however marginally they're involved in the matter at hand.

Though he didn't name the Bills in the suit, he seemed to have told them if he got enough money the civil suit goes away.

• Like 3

Jabba The Hutt
2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Yes.

Keep in mind, this shitbag lawyer is negotiating a civil suit on social media.  He has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal case the SDPD has been investigating.  And there's a shit-ton of evidence in that, that she was in fact gang-raped.

By Araiza?

5 minutes ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

By Araiza?

He isn't the only defendant of the suit, merely the deepest pocketed one.

And IF he did take her up to the room where the (alleged) gang rape occurred, IMHO that's almost as bad as having actively participated in it.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cinga said:

I said earlier in this thread that, if not for the Watson debacle, I think this played out very differently. 

• Like 2

Graham…I think it was him…..asked Beane why the Bills didn’t take Araiza’s “direct quote” into account.

You know…..the “direct quote”….from the plaintiff lawyer’s attorney from a phone call that was supposedly arranged by SDPD but which has never been actually heard by anyone…..that “direct quote”.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

By Araiza?

There's less evidence that he was involved.  Note that I've been very careful to say "She was raped" without saying Araiza was involved.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

He is not getting much of a payday as it is.  One third of nothing is still nothing.  On top of that he now has the rep of a premature ejac that could not get a seven figure settlement across the finish line.  

Wonder if he didnt anticipate the Bills cutting Araiza therefore getting no payday and subsequently dropping the civil suit. Then what if the Bills resign Araiza as a big FU to her POS lawyer.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Looks like Twitter is no longer after Bills management blood.

Because of this I want them to put Matt on the practice squad. Would be laughable to see their heads explode. I kid of course.

• Sad 1

RochesterRob
15 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

Wonder if he didnt anticipate the Bills cutting Araiza therefore getting no payday and subsequently dropping the civil suit. Then what if the Bills resign Araiza as a big FU to her POS lawyer.

He obviously did not anticipate the media and twitter shit storm that made Bills management extremely uncomfortable most likely on up to Terry Pegula.  On top of that an ill wife and partner in Kim who certainly does not need the stress.  I suspect the lawyer's ego got to him in the end culminating in him trying to run victory laps before he had the cash.