Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2023 NFL Quarterback Carousel

B-Man

Looks like people are ready to call some bullshit on no one dropping chow for Lamar the minute the franchise tag was announced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Looks like people are ready to call some bullshit on no one dropping chow for Lamar the minute the franchise tag was announced.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. If there really were no interest in Jackson around the league, do you think the Raisins would have tagged him? 

But let's be honest too. If he is really looking for a fully guaranteed contract in the Watson range I really doubt he gets it. Only the Browns are that stupid. That said, I'm a big Lamar fan and think his biggest problem has been Roman as an OC. All you have to do is look at his history, lots of read/option, and utilize only half the field in your reads. I don't know if it's Roman who lacks the intelligence to do anything else, or that he feels his QBs are not intelligent enough to pick up a pro system. I totally suspect it's the former. 

However now is the problem... Jackson certainly has the ability to make every throw in the league, but he has been used in a college set and never taught the pro game; stay in the pocket, go through more than a read or 2. Can he learn that still? He's certainly young enough, but could he be too set in his ways? How much different would Lamar game be if he had a Daboll or a Reich as his OC instead of Roman who IMHO wasted his talent

12 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. If there really were no interest in Jackson around the league, do you think the Raisins would have tagged him? 

But let's be honest too. If he is really looking for a fully guaranteed contract in the Watson range I really doubt he gets it. Only the Browns are that stupid. That said, I'm a big Lamar fan and think his biggest problem has been Roman as an OC. All you have to do is look at his history, lots of read/option, and utilize only half the field in your reads. I don't know if it's Roman who lacks the intelligence to do anything else, or that he feels his QBs are not intelligent enough to pick up a pro system. I totally suspect it's the former. 

However now is the problem... Jackson certainly has the ability to make every throw in the league, but he has been used in a college set and never taught the pro game; stay in the pocket, go through more than a read or 2. Can he learn that still? He's certainly young enough, but could he be too set in his ways? How much different would Lamar game be if he had a Daboll or a Reich as his OC instead of Roman who IMHO wasted his talent

Yeah

he also wasted the career of Tyrod

he could make all of the throws too.

just not on Sundays.

• Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

The Ravens are extremely smart here.

They hold all the cards.

They can continue to tag Jackson into next season. In the meanwhile Burrow, Hurts, and Herbert will all be negotiating new deals. None of them will get fully guaranteed contracts.

Watson’s contract will be deemed an outlier, and Jackson will have to reconcile that.

And it’s not even collusion by the owners. It was no secret that *everyone* was furious with Haslam for blowing up the salary model. Nor was it a secret that Jackson was demanding a full guarantee.

There’s not even a wink and a nod here.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 2

Alaska Darin

I don't care about Jackson's MVP season...not one bit.  He has not evolved as a passer in a passing league.  You have to completely design your offense around his clear limitations and pray like hell he doesn't get hurt (which is a sucker's bet with odds worsening as the years add up).  Additionally, he's done absolutely nothing in the postseason and last year was a distraction by choice.

I wouldn't be interested in him either.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't care about Jackson's MVP season...not one bit.  He has not evolved as a passer in a passing league.  You have to completely design your offense around his clear limitations and pray like hell he doesn't get hurt (which is a sucker's bet with odds worsening as the years add up).  Additionally, he's done absolutely nothing in the postseason and last year was a distraction by choice.

I wouldn't be interested in him either.

We have a burger joint near us called "Hudson's Hamburgers." Been around since 1907. You wait. You sit. You order "a Huddy burger" and a slice of pie and a drink. That's all you get. I can make a better burger by accident.

But somehow, every year, when "The Best Of CDA or Northern Idaho" contest comes out, Hudson's wins best burger because it's considered taboo to not praise them after all the praise they already received.

Lamar is the Huddy burger of the NFL. He comes up short where others have clearly surpassed him, but people still act like it's the best they ever had, and there will always be more people stupid enough to stand in line for the mediocrity.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Another factor with Lamar Jackson... he wants a guaranteed contract larger than Watson's. As i understand it, that owner has to put that money in an account the day the deal is signed.  Not only don't i think Jackson is worth $300m for 5-6 years, only so many owners have that money at the ready. Toss in 2 first rounders, his limitations,  his injuries the last two years, his lack if an agent (negotiations are personal)... yeah, i can see why teams are out.

He shoulda taken the $250m with $136  guaranteed. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Spartacus said:

this seems to be a gross overpay

Dabol is carrying an inflated sense of his ability to turn Danny Dimes into Josh

I guess Hodgins will be Danny's Stef Diggs 

The Jones contract, as of today, is definitely a gross overpay.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
6 minutes ago, Ann said:

Top guaranteed contracts. Josh Allen comes in at #5

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1633467916682182657

Pat Kirwan was going over the contracts yesterday.  Josh's annual cap number is pretty far down the list for QBs.  Paying him early looks even smarter now than it did when it happened.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • FANtastic 1

Got this to look forward to all offseason. Like the Aaron Rodgers rumors last year, the Lamar Jackson rumors will fill sports news cycles….