Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2023 NFL Quarterback Carousel

B-Man

SquirminThurman
On 3/29/2023 at 1:39 PM, devnull said:

Thank you

I had a disagreement with somebody earlier today regarding Jackson. 

Other guy said Ravens screwed up by not giving LJ Josh Allen money when they had the chance.

I disagreed because LJ does not deserve JA money because LJ does not perform at the JA level.

Other guy totally disagreed

I just showed him the above tweet....

Now he kinda sees my point

It's not just passing yards, which Allen destroys LJ on.

Total Regular Season Rushing: (Profootball Reference)

JA - 546 Rushes/ 3087 Yards/ 5.7 YPC/ 38 TD/ 230 1st Downs (42%)/ 40.1 YPG Rushing/ 52 FUM

LJ - 727 Rushes/ 4437 Yards/ 6.1 TPC/ 24 TD/ 267 1st Downs (37%)/ 63.4 YPG Rushing/ 42 FUM

LJ is clearly excellent at running the ball. But someone could argue Allen is more efficient at it.

JA has 14 more rushing TDs on 181 fewer carries.

JA converts 1st downs 42% of his carries, while LJ converts 37% of the time

JA scores a TD on 7% of his rushes, LJ scores 3.3% of his carries

JA gets a 1st Down or TD 49% of the time he rushes!

LJ gets a 1st down or TD 40% of the time. Still amazing for a QB.

LJ does protect the ball much better. I give him that, and it is important.

Lamar also averages almost half a yard more per carry, that counts too.

If my QB is going to get hit, it better be for a TD or a much needed 1st down.

I'd gladly take Allen's efficient running and his passing over LJs bulk rushing and poorer passing.

LJ could be a huge help to about 8-10 teams, but his ego is making these negotiations much harder than they need to be.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

LJ could be a huge help to about 8-10 teams, but his ego is making these negotiations much harder than they need to be.

Why he needs an agent. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ann said:

Why he needs an agent. 

Yes.  Negotiations and the contracts themselves at his level are complex.  Very few players are equipped to do this themselves.  Also, the agent is a good buffer between the player and the GM making the process less likely to get personal and frictional. 

I sold a business end of '21 and can't tell you how many times in the process I wanted to tell the other side to F-off.  The lawyer probably prevented me from blowing up the deal and navigated me through a lot of uncharted territory.  When I got his bill, it wasn't small but the conclusion was it was absolutely worth it.

Lamar still has time to get representation and get a deal done.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

Yes.  Negotiations and the contracts themselves at his level are complex.  Very few players are equipped to do this themselves.  Also, the agent is a good buffer between the player and the GM making the process less likely to get personal and frictional. 

I sold a business end of '21 and can't tell you how many times in the process I wanted to tell the other side to F-off.  The lawyer probably prevented me from blowing up the deal and navigated me through a lot of uncharted territory.  When I got his bill, it wasn't small but the conclusion was it was absolutely worth it.

Lamar still has time to get representation and get a deal done.  

"The player who represents himself in free agency has a fool for an agent and a jackass for a client." - Benjamin Franklin probably

• Haha 7

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

There was no concern for availability with Deshaun?  

There was no uncertainty.  They knew he wasn't going to be available until late in the season.  

It was still a spectacularly stupid trade, of course.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 2

SquirminThurman
On 4/1/2023 at 9:07 AM, Ann said:

Not downing your post, downing the content of the post. I watched the video. I know Sherman has haters. He is polarizing. I have agreed with some of his opinions and disagreed with many. This is one of those situations I strongly disagree with him.

The arguments for and against LJ getting the contract he wants are pretty entrenched and well established now. I'll leave it at that.

46 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

There was no uncertainty.  They knew he wasn't going to be available until late in the season.  

It was still a spectacularly stupid trade, of course.

At the time the trade was finalized they didnt even know if he would play at all in 22.

11 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

At the time the trade was finalized they didnt even know if he would play at all in 22.

that's correct.

they were trading for him to play the 10 years after that, and being available in the playoffs

Lamar may play if he feels like it, or maybe not.

probably belongs in the NBA with its guaranteed contracts and load mgmt problems resulting therefrom

• Like 1

The NFL Quarterback Market Is Shifting as Teams Balk at Paying Second-Tier Players
Either you have a franchise quarterback or you don’t, but what teams are doing about it may be changing.

</snip>

It was, instead, part of a conversation I was having with him about how teams reward their quarterbacks and which ones are worth paying. And those moments, both the one in Florida in October and this one in Arizona last week, illustrate where we were going with all this—in both whom you reward and how laughable overcomplicating any of it is.

“Come on, dude,” he says, laughing. “It’s Patrick Mahomes. So, yeah, sure, when you got that guy. And I think Joe Burrow is that guy, too. I think [Justin] Herbert is that guy. Josh Allen, when you have that player, yes. He’s been in your building, you drafted him and you developed him, you know exactly what he is, yes. Bet the farm. Give him everything.”

But if you don’t?

That’s what we’re going to explore this week, diving into how the quarterback market has materially changed over the last couple of months, with the league’s highest-end players at the position subtly separating from the pack and the future of the middle-class signal-caller shifting in a pretty significant way.

</snip>

• Like 1

NFL rumors: Eagles-Colts-Commanders bust Carson Wentz isn’t done yet, NFL insider insists

Carson Wentz’s NFL career may not be over just yet, according to one NFL insider.

The former Eagles, Indianapolis Colts and Washington Commanders quarterback has had quite the fall from grace, going from the second overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and a second-team All-Pro in his second season to being cut by the Commanders this February after just one season. The 30-year-old’s career looked to be on the verge of ending after that latest move.

But according to ESPN’s Jamison Hensley, one NFL franchise could still take a chance on Wentz: the Baltimore Ravens. With starting quarterback Lamar Jackson publicly requesting a trade out of the organization, John Harbaugh’s club might be on the market for another signal-caller, and Wentz is around.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

NFL rumors: Eagles-Colts-Commanders bust Carson Wentz isn’t done yet, NFL insider insists

Carson Wentz’s NFL career may not be over just yet, according to one NFL insider.

The former Eagles, Indianapolis Colts and Washington Commanders quarterback has had quite the fall from grace, going from the second overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and a second-team All-Pro in his second season to being cut by the Commanders this February after just one season. The 30-year-old’s career looked to be on the verge of ending after that latest move.

But according to ESPN’s Jamison Hensley, one NFL franchise could still take a chance on Wentz: the Baltimore Ravens. With starting quarterback Lamar Jackson publicly requesting a trade out of the organization, John Harbaugh’s club might be on the market for another signal-caller, and Wentz is around.

if they don't sign him, is that further proof of collusion?