Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Today I ...

Foxx

On 2/4/2023 at 10:45 AM, Foxx said:

I've wanted to post this thread for a while now. The events of this morning gave me the impetus to do so. 

Just a thread to post anything meaningful that happened in your life today. Or if you just want to post whatever happened today.

I'm in my office surfing the 'net, and I hear a diesel engine outside the window that sounds like it stopped in the road. Wanting to see what was happening, I got up to look out the curtain. I see that the town snow plow salting the roads has stopped because my elderly neighbor was at his mailbox getting the mail. After a bit, he walked across his front lawn, enabling the snow plow to proceed without fear of possibly running him over. So I continue to watch my neighbor walk across his snowed front yard in his slippers and, with his walking cane, walk towards the neighbor's house. 

I figured he got some of their mail delivered to his mailbox and wanted to give it to them. Now it is dangerously cold out there today, and I am always concerned about this neighbor, but he has good children and grandchildren that come over every day to look in on them and stay for hours caring for them. Unfortunately, they were not around this morning.

So, after watching him struggle to get to the neighbors and fumble around for a couple of minutes, I realize something is not right. I put my coat and shoes on and go out to see if I can assist him. Sure enough, he thought he was heading back into his house. He tells me that he is blind and can't see a thing. So I explained to him that he was at the neighbor's house, not mine but the one on the other side of him, and proceeded to walk him back to his house. We get to the open garage door, and he says that he is okay from there. I told him we are close; let me walk you to the house door. He thanked me profusely, and I told him he was welcome but that I was just glad I heard the truck outside my window, or who knows what would have happened. 

All I know is that if he had gone out in the dark to get his mail last night, it might not have been a very good morning here. I will wait for his daughter to show up, explain to her what happened, that his getting the mail might not be a good idea, and that I can get it for them if it helps.

Anyhoo, is anything happening in your world today?

A follow-up of sorts, here.

The next day after this happened I stopped over to make sure everything was okay and tell them that I would get their mail from the roadside box and bring it to them so that this doesn't happen again. During the course of conversation, I mentioned that a friend of mine up the street has the post office instruct the mailman to deliver her mail to a mailbox she has at her door and that it might be a good solution here. A couple days after that, I wait till I see the daughters car in the driveway and go over to see her to mention the mailbox at the house thing. She said that her mom had mentioned it to her and that she was going to call the post office. So I told her that if they get a mailbox for the house, that I would mount it for them.

After about two weeks of retrieving their mail for them (they get quite a lot of mail!), there were two days in a row where nothing is in their mailbox. It didn't dawn on me that maybe the mailman was bringing to mail to them himself, but my wife said she saw the mailman walk the mail up the driveway and leave the mail between the door and the storm door.

Approximately two weeks after that, they got a mailbox that I mounted to the side of their house next to the front door. So now that is all set. I guess my only concern at this point is that that walk to the mailbox everyday was most likely the extent of his daily exercise. I will have to noodle what we can do to keep those muscles moving.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I...

Went out to lunch with Hubby, then we went for pedicures. I liked the place so much, I'll be going back regularly! Bonus, I will not have his feet exfoliating my calves at night for at least a month. :b-nana:

All that, and the cleaning people came and cleaned our house while we were out. :b-nana: :b-nana:

So, no cooking, no cleaning, no husband with abrasive feet.  Truly a wonderful day.  :party2:

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin

Today I successfully got ChatGPT to call me "We Are Legion."

Failed to get it to call a chicken an "elephant," though.  There's always tomorrow.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Today I successfully got ChatGPT to call me "We Are Legion."

Failed to get it to call a chicken an "elephant," though.  There's always tomorrow.

How many billable hours did that take?

Crap Throwing Clavin
30 minutes ago, devnull said:

How many billable hours did that take?

None.  Billable hours are for Sudoku.

Today I took a trip to the dump with my wife....Alone. then I went shopping with my wife....alone. Then we called a friend and got lunch. We have not gone out alone in 6 months without my daughter and granddaughter. We miss them but I'm not in my 20s anymore. Daddy is home from UAE so it makes us all happy!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 2

• 1 month later...

was reminded of my youth:
https://www.keizertimes.com/2023/06/08/mcnary-prank-became-national-news-50-years-ago/?fbclid=IwAR10pkwjfy2Yiuji9ivqP0y7n3V5OCcgfvbvCN39qTBjWyXxON058XX4weU

No, my name is not in the article. No, it is not THE David Cassidy. However, David got to be an extra in a couple Animal House scenes while he was a student at UofO.
image.jpeg.e0dce9aae7e38db5c9f0602ae50922c8.jpeg

And yes, my name is on a tire.

73 tires for the claas of '73

flagpole.jpg

Edited by Uncle Joe
added pics
  • Like 1

CarpetCrawler
On 6/6/2023 at 3:51 PM, devnull said:

Today I replaced the flapper on my crapper

I bet while you did it you looked rather dapper.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Just a small FYI...

Anything after, "?", in a url is just tracking information.

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Just a small FYI...

Anything after, "?", in a url is just tracking information.

I know that.  I usually delete them.  Didn't this time.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

So when you visit your nieces/nephews, do you have them call you Uncle Tom?

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
20 minutes ago, devnull said:

So when you visit your nieces/nephews, do you have them call you Uncle Tom?

Back when I was allowed to talk to them, I would usually get asked about my cabin...

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin

Today I spent four hours discovering that the language I've been programming in doesn't treat an inner join as a cartesian product by default, which is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, and I can't even complain about it because nobody knows what the &#%$ I'm talking about.  :wallbash:

• 2 weeks later...

I was reminiscing today a week after Father's Day..,
I wanted to post this earlier for my virtual friends, TODAY I decided to do so.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/oregon/name/justin-goe-obituary?id=52021402&fbclid=IwAR1sHFCwXUDwhUABlnBS9pnji-OTrafF3_O234NPuNRC8jfxgN77bTjGbyo
@Alaska Darin A real life story about our fears of youth football
@IDBillzFan A college friend of mine that is/was a sports reporter. He is a good man and this wasn't about clicks. This is about telling the truth in order to educate others. I commend him for doing so publicly,
@Augie I don't think I need to elaborate.

Carry on. Its been a rough year for me.

• Sad 6
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I was reminiscing today a week after Father's Day..,
I wanted to post this earlier for my virtual friends, TODAY I decided to do so.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/oregon/name/justin-goe-obituary?id=52021402&fbclid=IwAR1sHFCwXUDwhUABlnBS9pnji-OTrafF3_O234NPuNRC8jfxgN77bTjGbyo
@Alaska Darin A real life story about our fears of youth football
@IDBillzFan A college friend of mine that is/was a sports reporter. He is a good man and this wasn't about clicks. This is about telling the truth in order to educate others. I commend him for doing so publicly,
@Augie I don't think I need to elaborate.

Carry on. Its been a rough year for me.

I guess you know I’ve never been shy about what we have been thru in losing Michael. My heart goes out to all the people who loved your son. 

Time doesn’t fully heal, but it definitely helps. God bless. 

• Love 6

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

I guess you know I’ve never been shy about what we have been thru in losing Michael. My heart goes out to all the people who loved your son. 

Time doesn’t fully heal, but it definitely helps. God bless. 

To be clear, it was not my son, but that of a college friend.

However, I knew I didn't have to look under the couch a couple months ago...

• Like 2