Today I ...

Foxx

On 8/9/2023 at 1:42 PM, B-Man said:

Although I am proud of her for using Liam Neeson as a verb. :classic_cool:

That's just good parenting right there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

Trying the new smaller charcoal grill for a smaller family, just my wife and I most of the time to cook chicken. I dont like getting used to new things. 

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin

Today I went to the used bookstore and found a copy of Frederick the Great's On The Art of War, his instructions and training corpus for his generals.

So if anyone ever needs to fight a linear battle with regiments of muskets, I got your back.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Today I went to the used bookstore and found a copy of Frederick the Great's On The Art of War, his instructions and training corpus for his generals.

So if anyone ever needs to fight a linear battle with regiments of muskets, I got your back.

If it's a used book, it may not be the updated version with an addendum on what to do if the regiments encounter an AH64 Apache

• Haha 2

Today I'm watching broadcast TV (College Football).

It's been so long since I've watched broadcast TV (USFL titlegame, maybe) that I had to re-scan the OTA channels

• Like 2

20 hours ago, devnull said:

It's been so long since I've watched broadcast TV (USFL titlegame, maybe) that I had to re-scan the OTA channels

I use OTA for the Bills games here. It's actually a better picture than cable or streaming.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Foxx said:

I use OTA for the Bills games here. It's actually a better picture than cable or streaming.

On 8/26/2023 at 2:45 PM, devnull said:

I havent paid for tv in 3 years. 

36 months x 79.99 pr month = 2879.64$. For once I feel like I am ahead of the game. Use antenna for most of what I watch and steeaming apps for the rest. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

I havent paid for tv in 3 years. 

36 months x 79.99 pr month = 2879.64$. For once I feel like I am ahead of the game. Use antenna for most of what I watch and steeaming apps for the rest. 

I cut DirecTV over 5 years ago and had been subscribing to either Hulu or Youtube/GoogleTV during College Football season.  Now that Google owns Sunday Ticket, I'll be hitting them up for half a year for the foreseeable future

Also do Amazon Prime and bounce between streaming services depending on which shows I want to watch.

I also watch alot of Tubi and Pluto TV.  Both have commercials, but are free.  Plus Pluto has two dedicated Star Trek and a dedicated Stargate channel

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 8/20/2023 at 5:57 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Today I got another email from Amazon hawking this book.  That's 5 emails in 10 days since I posted this.

That's how much Amazon harvests data from the internet.

• Wow 1

Ended up back in the emergency room with another Tachycardia meltdown. Went to bed 930 last night with BP of 117/71 with a hr of 72bpm. Woke at 10:45 extreamly thirsty and got up out of bed to my heart pounding, room spinning and extremities going numb. They still have no clue what is wrong with me. Hospital didnt seem worried and Cardiologist just put a monitor on my chest to wear for 3 days and sent me home. 

I have long thought I was living below the plan God had for me and this has caused me to search my spiritual condition and found myself wanting. Have spent the better part of the last 3 weeks cleaning house. At this time I have gone from that to learning to trust his plan. When you are mr fix it this is not easy. Normally Im not an open book like this but feel like God wants me to lay it all out on the line and say, this is me and I am going to trust MY GOD! He's got a plan and I trust that!  

Isaiah 41:10

Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 2

14 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Ended up back in the emergency room with another Tachycardia meltdown. Went to bed 930 last night with BP of 117/71 with a hr of 72bpm. Woke at 10:45 extreamly thirsty and got up out of bed to my heart pounding, room spinning and extremities going numb. They still have no clue what is wrong with me. Hospital didnt seem worried and Cardiologist just put a monitor on my chest to wear for 3 days and sent me home. 

I hope they find out what is wrong and fit it quickly. :hug:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

CarpetCrawler
45 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

I have long thought I was living below the plan God had for me and this has caused me to search my spiritual condition and found myself wanting. Have spent the better part of the last 3 weeks cleaning house. At this time I have gone from that to learning to trust his plan. When you are mr fix it this is not easy. Normally Im not an open book like this but feel like God wants me to lay it all out on the line and say, this is me and I am going to trust MY GOD! He's got a plan and I trust that!  

Isaiah 41:10

Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

Sorry to hear about this, I'm relatively new to the conversation, but have they considered it could be SVT (SupraVentricular Tachycardia)? How high does your heart rate go? How often does it happen to you? Have they given you Adenosine, or discussed cardiac ablation? Hopefully, the monitor will fill in some of the blanks for the cardiologist and they can offer you better treatment.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Sorry to hear about this, I'm relatively new to the conversation, but have they considered it could be SVT (SupraVentricular Tachycardia)? How high does your heart rate go? How often does it happen to you? Have they given you Adenosine, or discussed cardiac ablation? Hopefully, the monitor will fill in some of the blanks for the cardiologist and they can offer you better treatment.

Have not discussed the treatments more than these would be options if it was this.  Are you a dr? I go from 70bpm to 170 and back down at my worse.

Edited by Fansince88
  • Sad 1

CarpetCrawler
1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

Have not discussed the treatments more than these would be options if it was this.  Are you a dr? I go from 70bpm to 170 and back down at my worse.

170 is high.

Not a doctor, I'm a Respiratory Therapist, so I have some experience that way, but more with cardioversion to break the rhythm if it goes on too long. However, more personally, my son suffered from SVTs in his childhood and teens. I might have recounted this before, but I can't remember in what context, so I'll repeat it. Anyway, starting at about 7 or 8 he would occasionally get very short of breath during athletic activities and we figured it was allergies or stress-induced asthma so we got his pediatrician to give us an inhaler. That went on for a few years and he would have episodes now and then but it was no big deal.

Then as he matured he became more self-aware and could describe the episodes better. He started talking more about fluttering in his chest and feeling a little dizzy. I gave him one of the finger pulse oximeters that also measures heartbeats to carry around, and sure enough it happened to him. He said his HR went up to 190, the pediatrician didn't believe it so we went to a pediatric cardiologist who did an EKG, and an echocardiogram that were both normal. He gave us one of those halter monitors too, but nothing happened for the 2 weeks he had it. He didn't want to wear the monitor at school so for the better part of 2 years he wore the monitor every school break. He was still having incidents, but nothing that was captured on the monitor. 

Spring of 2014, when he turned 15, the incidents were increasing and his HR would go over 200 at times. He got through the school year, then the cardiologist gave him a more sophisticated monitor to wear for a month (or maybe 6 weeks?). Nothing happened until literally the last day he was to wear it, and all he did was bend over to pick up a piece of paper he had dropped and his heart went off. His HR hit 300 and finally, it was captured. The cardiologist was amazed it was that high and said medications were pointless, he needed to have a cardiac ablation. (background, the stimulus for the heart to beat begins in the upper chamber and then travels down a nerve path to the lower chamber. One stimulation, one pathway, one heartbeat. But in some hearts, there can be multiple nerve pathways leading to the lower chamber. Most of the time there are no extra impulses going down those nerves, but certain things can cause them to fire, and every extra pathway causes an extra heartbeat.) With ablation, they go to the interior of your heart through the blood vessels, map the extra nerve paths, and then blast them with radio waves to disrupt the conduction of the extra heartbeats. 

We didn't mess around, we took him to the Columbia children's hospital (Morgan Stanley) in Manhattan and they did it there. The place was great, they took such good care of him. It's usually a 2-4 hour procedure, but his was over 4 and a half hours because it was a severe case. He was only there for one night and since then has not had even one instance of the high heart rate. There is a slight chance some of the blasted nerve paths could come back, but the Dr. said it wouldn't be for 40 or 50 years and if so, he can have the procedure again.

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Love 2

27 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

170 is high.

Not a doctor, I'm a Respiratory Therapist, so I have some experience that way, but more with cardioversion to break the rhythm if it goes on too long. However, more personally, my son suffered from SVTs in his childhood and teens. I might have recounted this before, but I can't remember in what context, so I'll repeat it. Anyway, starting at about 7 or 8 he would occasionally get very short of breath during athletic activities and we figured it was allergies or stress-induced asthma so we got his pediatrician to give us an inhaler. That went on for a few years and he would have episodes now and then but it was no big deal.

Then as he matured he became more self-aware and could describe the episodes better. He started talking more about fluttering in his chest and feeling a little dizzy. I gave him one of the finger pulse oximeters that also measures heartbeats to carry around, and sure enough it happened to him. He said his HR went up to 190, the pediatrician didn't believe it so we went to a pediatric cardiologist who did an EKG, and an echocardiogram that were both normal. He gave us one of those halter monitors too, but nothing happened for the 2 weeks he had it. He didn't want to wear the monitor at school so for the better part of 2 years he wore the monitor every school break. He was still having incidents, but nothing that was captured on the monitor. 

Spring of 2014, when he turned 15, the incidents were increasing and his HR would go over 200 at times. He got through the school year, then the cardiologist gave him a more sophisticated monitor to wear for a month (or maybe 6 weeks?). Nothing happened until literally the last day he was to wear it, and all he did was bend over to pick up a piece of paper he had dropped and his heart went off. His HR hit 300 and finally, it was captured. The cardiologist was amazed it was that high and said medications were pointless, he needed to have a cardiac ablation. (background, the stimulus for the heart to beat begins in the upper chamber and then travels down a nerve path to the lower chamber. One stimulation, one pathway, one heartbeat. But in some hearts, there can be multiple nerve pathways leading to the lower chamber. Most of the time there are no extra impulses going down those nerves, but certain things can cause them to fire, and every extra pathway causes an extra heartbeat.) With ablation, they go to the interior of your heart through the blood vessels, map the extra nerve paths, and then blast them with radio waves to disrupt the conduction of the extra heartbeats. 

We didn't mess around, we took him to the Columbia children's hospital (Morgan Stanley) in Manhattan and they did it there. The place was great, they took such good care of him. It's usually a 2-4 hour procedure, but his was over 4 and a half hours because it was a severe case. He was only there for one night and since then has not had even one instance of the high heart rate. There is a slight chance some of the blasted nerve paths could come back, but the Dr. said it wouldn't be for 40 or 50 years and if so, he can have the procedure again.

Wow, I am sorry your son had to go through that, but very glad they were able to figure it out and cure him. :hug:

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Crap Throwing Clavin
16 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

170 is high.

300!!!!!

I honestly wouldn't have thought that was even possible.  That's terrifying.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

CarpetCrawler
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

300!!!!!

I honestly wouldn't have thought that was even possible.  That's terrifying.

Oh yeah, we hid it from my son, but my wife and I were truly terrified, scared the crap out of the cardiologists too. Our local guy called Columbia right away and got us an appointment with the surgeon the next day and three days later he had the procedure.

• Like 2

So little known fact. Cardiologist don't prescribe aspirin therapy as much because long term use can trigger Tachycardia.  😉 . Also, one of the pills they prescribed in the ER doubles as a diuretic. I have not been able to get enough to drink and pee like a race horse. I unprescribed both of those on Saturday. Since then all has been well. Heart rate has stayed consistent for the most part. This morning I have to remove my stick-on Halter Monitor and UPS that back tomorrow. 😑 thats gunna hurt.  Possibly as bad as when the nurse dry shaved my chest to stick it on Friday morning. Ouch! Surprised it stuck to the blood.

Edited by Fansince88
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 3

Jabba The Hutt
On 9/4/2023 at 9:50 AM, Fansince88 said:

So little known fact. Cardiologist don't prescribe aspirin therapy as much because long term use can trigger Tachycardia.  😉 . Also, one of the pills they prescribed in the ER doubles as a diuretic. I have not been able to get enough to drink and pee like a race horse. I unprescribed both of those on Saturday. Since then all has been well. Heart rate has stayed consistent for the most part. This morning I have to remove my stick-on Halter Monitor and UPS that back tomorrow. 😑 thats gunna hurt.  Possibly as bad as when the nurse dry shaved my chest to stick it on Friday morning. Ouch! Surprised it stuck to the blood.

Hopefully the meds were causing the issue and all is well from here on out🙏🏿

• Cheers 4