Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

DeAndre Hopkins/[Permission to seek trade/Its now or never/Elvis] Released!

Figster

11 hours ago, devnull said:

That Kyler Murray contract looked bad at the start of 2022

Bad franchises are run badly. The on-field difference between the Ravens and Cardinals over the past many years is no accident when you compare how they handled their QB situations.

This is why any talk of the Bills ‘window’ is nonsense. As long as you have a well run franchise and a top tier QB, you are in the mix.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Boo 1

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Bad franchises are run badly. The on-field difference between the Ravens and Cardinals over the past many years is no accident when you compare how they handled their QB situations.

This is why any talk of the Bills ‘window’ is nonsense. As long as you have a well run franchise and a top tier QB, you are in the mix.

but wait!

is this before or after we shitcan McD and get back to cycling coaches and schemes every 2-3 years

• Facepalm 3

12 hours ago, devnull said:

That Kyler Murray contract looked bad at the start of 2022

It did.  After an injury, loss of top receiver and with a new GM and coach who won't be as loyal to the pick or signing; Murray has a steep uphill climb.  

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
59 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Related...somewhere in Tempe, AZ, right now, someone is asking "Did we make a mistake letting Josh Rosen go?"

• Haha 7

SquirminThurman
6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

There are many stages of a top tier QB career. The rookie 5 year window is clearly a time period that is very advantageous. It also marks the 33% point of most top tier QBs careers.

If you don't understand the competitive advantage having a top tier QB on a rookie contract provides, and why people talk about the 'window' then I really don't know what to tell you.

Josh is about 1/3 through his career and will get more expensive and take up more of the cap going forward. They will be in it most of those years, but the era of their biggest advantage is gone. The Bills blew it in that window.

Edited by SquirminThurman
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1

IDBillzFan
28 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

There are many stages of a top tier QB career. The rookie 5 year window is clearly a time period that is very advantageous. It also marks the 33% point of most top tier QBs careers.

If you don't understand the competitive advantage having a top tier QB on a rookie contract provides, and why people talk about the 'window' then I really don't know what to tell you.

Josh is about 1/3 through his career and will get more expensive and take up more of the cap going forward. They will be in it most of those years, but the era of their biggest advantage is gone. The Bills blew it in that window.

You may be surprised to learn this, but most fans don't give a shit about using the competitive advantage of a top tier QB rookie contract if it means in years 6, 8, 9, 10, whatever, he wins a ring. In fact, more fans are concerned that he's wearing a t-shirt on a date with a movie actress than they will EVER care about their top tier quarterback contract window.

Its funny. You are really smart about this game and generally speaking your posts show those smarts. But somehow you always close it out with some Eeyore shit. 

• O Rly 1
  • Haha 2

I wonder what percentage of QB's have won a Super Bowl on their rookie contract. I would think that number is ridiculously small.

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 1

Nouseforaname
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

I wonder what percentage of QB's have won a Super Bowl on their rookie contract. I would think that number is ridiculously small.

IMG_2199.png

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

IMG_2199.png

What about Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady? I'm sure there are others as well within the cap era.

• Like 2

Nouseforaname
14 minutes ago, Foxx said:

What about Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady? I'm sure there are others as well within the cap era.

Yep according to chat gpt.  It literally never gets anything right.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Brady first super bowl win was in 2002 (his second year), his second was 2004 (also his rookie contract)
Roethlisberger first super bowl was in 2006 (his second year), his second was 2009 (also his rookie contract)

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Yep according to chat gpt.  It literally never gets anything right.

Still, a ridiculously small percentage.

Alaska Darin
4 minutes ago, Ann said:

Brady first super bowl win was in 2002 (his second year), his second was 2004 (also his rookie contract)
Roethlisberger first super bowl was in 2006 (his second year), his second was 2009 (also his rookie contract)

Well and let's be perfectly honest with Brady - the Patriots were still paying Bledsoe big money at that time.  Bledsoe was the highest paid player on the team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ann said:

So... apparently AI was born sometime between 2009 and 2014. At some point in the future, we will probably refer to time before AI as, BAI and after as, AAI.

:borg:

• O Rly 1
  • Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

As best I can tell, because identifying rookie contracts before about 1980 is tough:

Brady, Ruthlessbooger, and Russel Wilson won their sophomore years.  Joe Montana and Jim McMahon won the last year of their rookie contracts.  Aikman, his fourth year (of six - I think that's around when rookie contracts get long and rich).  Eli Manning, the third year of seven.  Mahomes, third year of 4.  Flacco, the last year of 5.  

Kurt Warner...depends on how you define "rookie contract."  He won in the third year of his first NFL contract, but was in Arena Football and the European Football League before then.

That's 9 - or 10, if you count Warner - of 33 quarterbacks that have won Superbowls.  That's a lot more than I expected.

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
56 minutes ago, Ann said:

Actually, Brady signed a new contract in 2002, so was no longer under his rookie contract (which was 3-year, $800k+.  Which makes me inordinately happy, because &#%$ Tom Brady.)

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
44 minutes ago, Ann said:

Shesh

Because now, knowing he'll be released, teams are more than willing to trade for him.  :facepalm:

So ridiculous, I'm expecting the Jets to tell Arizona "Hold my beer and watch this..."

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, SquirminThurman said:

No doubt Josh Allen's contract comes with a Hugh Jass cap number in the next several years which will limit what they can spend elsewhere.  The Chiefs are getting it done.  Patriots and Bucs did with Brady.  Salary cap is rumored to jump a bunch next year.  It's also fair to say that Josh will play better over the next 5 years than he did in the past 5 years.  I still like the Bill's chances going forward.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2