Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

UFOs and Sitcom Math

devnull

Keukasmallie

I have no opinion pro or con regarding UFO's, BUT I am convinced there are aliens among us.  The most signifcant example resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC.  It is still struggling to perfect usage of our language, has trouble using our walking gait, and often loses track of names and places.  Thankfully, it is benign for the most part and does what it's told.

• Haha 2

Jabba The Hutt
16 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That dude sounded pretty convincing on the 9-11 call, the operator cracked me up though with her response once he says it looks like aliens. Her: "...Okay."

:classic_laugh: 

I think what freaks me out the most is, and I've heard this before...they don't like praying and responded with human like screams!

Why the &#%$ would that be exactly? Interdimensional most likely and hate praying? Yikes, are we talking demonic?

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 6/8/2023 at 3:33 PM, Keukasmallie said:

I have no opinion pro or con regarding UFO's, BUT I am convinced there are aliens among us.  The most signifcant example resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC.  It is still struggling to perfect usage of our language, has trouble using our walking gait, and often loses track of names and places.  Thankfully, it is benign for the most part and does what it's told.

Undocumented astronauts, you racist Nazi.

Keukasmallie
14 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Undocumented astronauts, you racist Nazi.

Please accept my most heart-felt apology.  I will also no longer refer to illegal immigrants as illegal immigrants, but as "folks invited to visit by Bidunce."

Hopefully I can redeem myself in your eyes by confirming I'm a strong supporter of the LGBTQ movement [Let's Get Biden To Quit].

16 hours ago, Keukasmallie said:

Hopefully I can redeem myself in your eyes by confirming I'm a strong supporter of the LGBTQ movement [Let's Get Biden To Quit].

As a member of the LGB+HTQ community, I am grossly offended by your exclusionary rhetoric

Keukasmallie
5 hours ago, devnull said:

As a member of the LGB+HTQ community, I am grossly offended by your exclusionary rhetoric

OK, OK, I say let's toss 'em all in the pot!

Crap Throwing Clavin
22 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

A majority of academics also think there's 45 genders.  

"Academics" can be just as stupid as the rest of us you.

• Haha 3

Deranged Rhino
4 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Probably swamp gas.

I saw a blurb today before getting to work stating that it was an old photograph (2020 I think) and was something called green lightning which, apparently, happens and isn't an unknown phenomenon on that planet. (shrug)

Crap Throwing Clavin
43 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I saw a blurb today before getting to work stating that it was an old photograph (2020 I think) and was something called green lightning which, apparently, happens and isn't an unknown phenomenon on that planet. (shrug)

It's not an unknown phenomenon on this planet.  Last hurricane that came through here, it was pretty damn freaky seeing the green lightning light up the clouds.  

There's never any sort of guarantee, though, that anything on this planet, occurring on any other planet, will resemble what it looks like on this planet.  It's one of my consistent complaints about planetary science: "Because X looks like Y here, then X must look like Y everywhere, and Y must indicate X somewhere else."  Uh...no.  There is no requirement that the observable universe be consistent.

Honestly, there's not even a requirement that physics be consistent everywhere in the universe.  We have to assume it, and can observe its consistency in the local environment ("local" being "within about a billion light-years").  But go further back than that, and it's possible that physical constants are different than what we observe here, and get more different the more parsecs back in time you go.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I don't know what this means, or the source, but it sure sounds cool. 

Ionizing radiation is a form of energy that acts by removing electrons from atoms and molecules of materials that include air, water, and living tissue. Ionizing radiation can travel unseen and pass through these materials.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/ionizing_radiation.html#:~:text=Ionizing radiation is a form of energy that acts by,spectrum in the figure below.

That don't sound good. I'd like my electrons to remain intact.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, snafu said:

Ionizing radiation is a form of energy that acts by removing electrons from atoms and molecules of materials that include air, water, and living tissue. Ionizing radiation can travel unseen and pass through these materials.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/ionizing_radiation.html#:~:text=Ionizing radiation is a form of energy that acts by,spectrum in the figure below.

That don't sound good. I'd like my electrons to remain intact.

"Ionized" and "ionizing" are two different things.

In this case, "ionized" means nothing but "consists of charged particles."  Atoms stripped of elections by collisions in the accretion disk of the black hole, accelerated in the magnetic field, spewed out of the poles in jets.  And almost certainly nothing more than high-energy protons and electrons (since most of the universe is hydrogen, and most of the rest helium.)

Plus...it's half a billion light years away.  The jet is very well attenuated by the time it gets here.  In fact...they're observing the jet almost certainly by either radio, infrared, or visible radiation, which means any charged particles that would get here would be years behind the light (because unlike subatomic particles in water, subatomic particles in a vacuum cannot travel faster than light).  

So when they get here in about half a million years, they'd be indistinguishable from cosmic rays anyway.  I don't think you have much to worry about.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

"Ionized" and "ionizing" are two different things.

In this case, "ionized" means nothing but "consists of charged particles."  Atoms stripped of elections by collisions in the accretion disk of the black hole, accelerated in the magnetic field, spewed out of the poles in jets.  And almost certainly nothing more than high-energy protons and electrons (since most of the universe is hydrogen, and most of the rest helium.)

Plus...it's half a billion light years away.  The jet is very well attenuated by the time it gets here.  In fact...they're observing the jet almost certainly by either radio, infrared, or visible radiation, which means any charged particles that would get here would be years behind the light (because unlike subatomic particles in water, subatomic particles in a vacuum cannot travel faster than light).  

So when they get here in about half a million years, they'd be indistinguishable from cosmic rays anyway.  I don't think you have much to worry about.

It was like I sent out a Nerd Bat Signal.

After reading that I don't really want to have to wait a half million years for the ionizing rays to come de-electron my flesh.

• Haha 2