Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

UFOs and Sitcom Math

devnull

Crap Throwing Clavin
19 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Actually, they've been saying since 2016 that it was a water droplet on the camera.

"Silent on."  Nice reporting, Fox.  :classic_laugh:

• Like 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
22 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I like James a lot, met him a few times. I don't know the man speaking though - just food for thought.

If a Navy Commander knows about an AF cover-up, it's probably not a very good cover-up.

It seems more likely that the AF is pretending incompetence in covering up UFOs, to cover up something else.  E.g., in the '60s, "We can't identify the objects people are seeing in the sky in the Mississippi valley" to cover up the fact that jets from Cuba were penetrating US air space.

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

I also know, first-hand, of several fake UFO sightings.  There was a group of guys in the Hudson valley about 30 years ago who would occasionally fly their biplanes at night, in close formation, very slowly (to minimize noise), just to &#%$ with people and generate a slew of UFO reports.  I saw them a couple of times, and got to talk to one of them at an airshow.

Do not underestimate the lengths people will go to, to fake UFOs.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deranged Rhino
52 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I also know, first-hand, of several fake UFO sightings.  There was a group of guys in the Hudson valley about 30 years ago who would occasionally fly their biplanes at night, in close formation, very slowly (to minimize noise), just to &#%$ with people and generate a slew of UFO reports.  I saw them a couple of times, and got to talk to one of them at an airshow.

Do not underestimate the lengths people will go to, to fake UFOs.  

You mean like these two guys? 

U.S. on alert as Chinese 'spy balloon' spotted over Nuclear launch site;  Biden briefed | Details - YouTube

😉 

• Cheers 1

Did the Mars rover find a crashed aircraft?

MATT REIGLE FROM OUTKICK 10:20 AM on February 24, 2023

Did NASA just find irrefutable proof of intelligent life once inhabiting Mars?

People who spend hours upon hours combing the internet for that kind of thing sure think so.

For the last few years, NASA’s Perseverance rover has been cruising around the Martian landscape snapping photos of anything it sees like an obnoxious tourist. Perseverance isn’t just taking photos for the ‘Gram. These are giant, high-res photos that are made up of a bunch of stitched-together images, and one of them of a Martian hillside caught one UFO believer’s attention.

The reason, it looks as though there’s a crashed spacecraft in the photo. He stuck the photos on his website, UFOSightingsDaily.com.

https://www.outkick.com/nasas-mars-rover-found-what-some-think-is-a-crashed-martian-aircraft/

• FANtastic 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
7 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Tom's spirit animal: 

A few observations:

Anyone with a passing knowledge of physics research knows Stony Brook is a major player in theoretical physics.

Also, anyone with a passing knowledge of the field knows that the financial industry is the single biggest employer of mathematicians and physicists.  Neither of these are secrets.

He misses one big possibility for "Why isn't the government sharing data with physicists?"  Because there's no data to share. 

Or...no renown physicists want to be looking in to it, for the same reason that biologists and zoologists dismiss Bigfoot: to research it is to give it credibility, and destroy your own (which I always thought was a poor reason to not research anything...I can think of a long list of discoveries across sciences that were made by people unafraid to face a controversial idea.  H.Pylori causing ulcers, dark matter, plate tectonics, the discovery of Troy, the coelacanth and mountain gorilla, symmetry breaking...)  A lot of scientists, when faced with controversial topics, step over the line of scientific skepticism into outright denial.  

A lot of his points are good, but not great.  (Antigravity research, you'd want "three subspecialities," then basically mentions general relativity twice?)  Overall, he strikes me as one of the more honest and knowledgeable people concerned with UFO phenomena.

And btw...never got much into tensor analysis - my interests were more field theories and statistical physics.  But I do know the Dirac equation - it's very cool.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
9 hours ago, B-Man said:

Did the Mars rover find a crashed aircraft?

MATT REIGLE FROM OUTKICK 10:20 AM on February 24, 2023

Did NASA just find irrefutable proof of intelligent life once inhabiting Mars?

People who spend hours upon hours combing the internet for that kind of thing sure think so.

For the last few years, NASA’s Perseverance rover has been cruising around the Martian landscape snapping photos of anything it sees like an obnoxious tourist. Perseverance isn’t just taking photos for the ‘Gram. These are giant, high-res photos that are made up of a bunch of stitched-together images, and one of them of a Martian hillside caught one UFO believer’s attention.

The reason, it looks as though there’s a crashed spacecraft in the photo. He stuck the photos on his website, UFOSightingsDaily.com.

https://www.outkick.com/nasas-mars-rover-found-what-some-think-is-a-crashed-martian-aircraft/

It's a rock.  It's obviously a rock.  :classic_laugh:  I can probably go out to Calvert Cliffs tomorrow, or some of the road cuts for I-70, and find a rock that looks like a spaceship.

The worst kind of analysis is "Looks like, so is."  The human mind is an efficient pattern-recognition engine, which causes a severe bias for interpreting patterns incorrectly (evolutionary necessary - the early homo sapiens who sees the shadow of a cave bear in a cave and doesn't think "Oh shit, a cave bear!  Run!" doesn't survive to pass on his propensity to interpret shadows as cave bears.)  That's why the scientific method exists: to overcome the very strong bias our pattern-recognition engine introduces.  

But in this case, the pattern recognition is extraordinarily dumb.  Because he's seeing a rock, but interpreting it according to the style of a space ship introduced by Lego in the '80s.

6985-1.jpg

• Haha 3

Jabba The Hutt
12 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

It's a rock.  It's obviously a rock.  :classic_laugh:  I can probably go out to Calvert Cliffs tomorrow, or some of the road cuts for I-70, and find a rock that looks like a spaceship.

The worst kind of analysis is "Looks like, so is."  The human mind is an efficient pattern-recognition engine, which causes a severe bias for interpreting patterns incorrectly (evolutionary necessary - the early homo sapiens who sees the shadow of a cave bear in a cave and doesn't think "Oh shit, a cave bear!  Run!" doesn't survive to pass on his propensity to interpret shadows as cave bears.)  That's why the scientific method exists: to overcome the very strong bias our pattern-recognition engine introduces.  

But in this case, the pattern recognition is extraordinarily dumb.  Because he's seeing a rock, but interpreting it according to the style of a space ship introduced by Lego in the '80s.

6985-1.jpg

Aka Matrixing

• 2 weeks later...
Deranged Rhino

Hearing a lot of rumblings like this - that the dam is about to break (about = 12-24 months). That's happened before only for the big moment never to arrive, but considering the past month of news coverage, let alone the past 4 years since the USN admitted UFO/UAP sightings are real and ongoing, there's hope that this time it might just happen.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Hearing a lot of rumblings like this - that the dam is about to break (about = 12-24 months). That's happened before only for the big moment never to arrive, but considering the past month of news coverage, let alone the past 4 years since the USN admitted UFO/UAP sightings are real and ongoing, there's hope that this time it might just happen.

No offense bro, but you've been telling us this is about to happen since about, i dunno.  as long as i've known you

• Like 2

RochesterRob
5 hours ago, devnull said:

No offense bro, but you've been telling us this is about to happen since about, i dunno.  as long as i've known you

ET has been too good at keeping it all under wraps.  

• Like 1