Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Appropos of nothing thread.

Joe

Uncle Joe

I once answered the the landline "Chines restaurant" in my best Chinese voice,

After about 20 minutes of trying to get the rep to buy my lunch special he came back to the phone after putting me on hold and told me HE had to hang up now. 😁

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 2/22/2024 at 6:04 AM, Foxx said:

Hmm...

There's no mystery to it.  There used to be about eight species of humans (Homo Neanderthalensis, Homo Floresiensis, Denisovians, Homo Heidelbergensis, etc.)  But Homo Sapiens outcompeted them all and drove them to extinction.

And there's only three species of zebra.  There's eight species under the genus Equus, but only three are zebras (two arre horses, three are wild asses).

Edited by Crap Throwing Clavin
  • Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

Don't know who's heard of Potosi (if you've played Civilization 5, you probably have).  Interesting story.  It was a silver mine discovered in the Spanish Americas early in the 16th century.

Supposedly, the discovery goes something as this: some guy was out walking and pulled up some bush or sapling or something (don't know why, maybe he tripped and grabbed it).  In the hole left by pulling the plant out, he saw a dull, whitish rock.  It was a vein of silver, about 100 yards long, 100 yards deep, and five yards across.  

It was also 50% purity - most precious metal strikes, you get 2-3% purity.  It is still the single biggest precious metal strike in history.  It averaged about 700 tons annual production for about 200 years (in comparison, the entire current US production is about 1200 tons a year). It was so big, it tripled the amount of silver in the world by 1700.  It was so much silver, it destabilized and ultimately toppled the Ming Dynasty in China.  

It was also so pure, that the Spanish couldn't refine it - European metallurgy methods of the time would boil the silver away.  They ultimately figured out how to refine it by mixing it with mercury...then about 400 miles away discovered Huancavelica, the richest single mercury strike in history.

[/Clavin]

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

KD in CA
On 2/25/2024 at 3:59 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

There's no mystery to it.  There used to be about eight species of humans (Homo Neanderthalensis, Homo Floresiensis, Denisovians, Homo Heidelbergensis, etc.)  But Homo Sapiens outcompeted them all and drove them to extinction.

Too bad they didn't have DEI programs to stop Homo Sapien supremacy.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Too bad they didn't have DEI programs to stop Homo Sapien supremacy.

Not true.  Neanderthals had a very progressive attitude towards gender roles and gender fluidity, until they were driven extinct by the heteronormative toxic masculinity of homo sapiens.

No, not really...but I'll bet you could write a dissertation on the subject, using lots of double-talk and empty arguments, and get a PhD in Gender Studies out of it.

23 minutes ago, B-Man said:

f9af388203f0f1f0b43336953412071901ead298

You've seen my husband's collection, haven't you?

• Haha 4

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 hours ago, B-Man said:

We used to keep cardboard boxes to ship things to my grandmother (books for her to read and such).

Since she passed, every so often we empty a box, then look at it and sigh, "This would have been a nice box to ship stuff to grandma in."

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 3/3/2024 at 4:04 PM, B-Man said:

431234327_25097218363225430_352817350146

It's the chair upholstery that really puts it over the top.

There's got to be some cast-iron roosters on a wall out of frame somewhere.

• Haha 1

Fansince88
On 3/3/2024 at 4:04 PM, B-Man said:

431234327_25097218363225430_352817350146

No plastic furniture covers. Land of make believe as far as I am concerned. 

Keukasmallie
On 3/2/2024 at 10:05 AM, B-Man said:

It used to be I had to use a steam iron to get the labels off them; today's adhesive lets labels just pull right off.  Then you gotta' figure if you have enough of that size or not.  Too big to reuse as a box, cut it open and use it when you wanna' spray something.

• Like 2