Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

7 minutes ago, Ann said:

It means stats don't equal the eye test.  It's kinda the inverse of what was happening with Allen his rookie and sophomore seasons...the numbers didn't look great but you could see the kid was going to be a great player.  His trajectory was totally evident.  The same can't be said about Edmunds...he still doesn't fill gaps quickly, shed blocks, or play close to the physicality of his stature.

I wanna like these stats because I'm a huge fan of Darius Leonard because he completely passes the eye test.  Guy is a straight up baller.

• Like 3

I posted this in the Edmunds 5th year option thread, too.

A reminder about what Beane said about Edmunds at his end of year presser.

.Tweet:

Article:

</snip>

The Bills picked up the fifth-year option on the 16th overall pick in the 2018 draft, and Edmunds is guaranteed $12.7 million in 2022. Edmunds wears the green dot on his helmet, so he's responsible for relaying coaches' signals to teammates and plays a key role in coordinator Leslie Frazier’s defense as the middle linebacker alongside Matt Milano, who signed a four-year, $41.5 million contract last offseason to return to the team in free agency.

As of now, the Bills will be investing $34.6 million in the linebacker position in 2022, per Spotrac, while the league average is $25.8 million.

</snip>

“Interesting guy (Edmunds) because they don't use him in coverage very much. He'll cover backs at times, but he rarely covers was tight ends, because Milano does that or if Milano blitzes, they have one of the safeties do that,” Greg Cosell of NFL Films, an analyst on ESPN's NFL Matchup, said. “Edmunds rarely matches up man-to-man to tight ends, which is kind of interesting in and of itself, given his length and his athleticism. … It just strikes me as odd given the athletic traits. I think he's a good player. My sense is he's not a dominant player.”

</snip>

The middle linebacker market was reset last offseason when Darius Leonard and Fred Warner -- two linebackers selected outside of the first round in 2018 -- received extensions averaging over $19 million per year. A deal for Edmunds wouldn’t get near that territory, but he will be looking to be paid appropriately.

“[The role of the linebackers in the Bills defense is] critical, because they play nickel on every snap,” Cosell said. “The two linebackers are absolutely critical, and you can make the argument that Milano and Edmunds together are among the best nickel duo in the league.”

</snip>

4 hours ago, Ann said:

“Interesting guy (Edmunds) because they don't use him in coverage very much. He'll cover backs at times, but he rarely covers was tight ends, because Milano does that or if Milano blitzes, they have one of the safeties do that,” Greg Cosell of NFL Films, an analyst on ESPN's NFL Matchup, said. “Edmunds rarely matches up man-to-man to tight ends, which is kind of interesting in and of itself, given his length and his athleticism. … It just strikes me as odd given the athletic traits. I think he's a good player. My sense is he's not a dominant player.”

“[The role of the linebackers in the Bills defense is] critical, because they play nickel on every snap,” Cosell said. “The two linebackers are absolutely critical, and you can make the argument that Milano and Edmunds together are among the best nickel duo in the league.”

</snip>

strange that the above 2 comments come from the same guy

Bills play a lot of zone (which is coverage, just not man to man), which is where Edmunds is valuable covering a lot of ground

I really don't have an issue with Edmunds and Milano against the run. They occassionally overrun a play giving up the cutback, could also be opposite edge containment thing, too. My only issue with Edmunds is in the underneath coverage in Zone. His strength is lateral pursuit, outstanding.

Crap Throwing Clavin
22 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

:confused:

He always makes the tackle.  Always.

Usually the last player there making the tackle, but dammit, he's always making it too.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Ann said:

Of course, Edmunds started a year younger than the rest, so he got those tackles in 4 seasons, as opposed to the 3 seasons of the others.

Which is just another way of saying: what a bullshit stat.

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Of course, Edmunds started a year younger than the rest, so he got those tackles in 4 seasons, as opposed to the 3 seasons of the others.

Which is just another way of saying: what a bullshit stat.

I so want him to blow up and prove us wrong this year. Just dont see it.

Alaska Darin
39 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

I so want him to blow up and prove us wrong this year. Just dont see it.

• Tremaine Edmunds

COLLEGE
Virginia Tech
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Danville, VA
Junior

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 5"
253 lbs
34 1/2"
HANDS
Weaknesses
  • Instincts are average and relies on athletic gifts
  • Can be a step slow to diagnose
  • Lured by misdirection
  • Will take random downhill paths that trap him in the quagmire
  • Patience is lacking
  • Races ahead of plays and voids his leverage and run fits at times
  • Needs to add more upper and lower body strength
  • Average base strength and high center of gravity create issues holding up at the point of attack
  • Needs to be quicker to punch in order to maintain clearance
  • Mental busts in man coverage hurt his team
  • Takes time to process moving pieces

We're entering year 5 and he's STILL this guy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

• Tremaine Edmunds

COLLEGE
Virginia Tech
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Danville, VA
Junior

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 5"
253 lbs
34 1/2"
HANDS
Weaknesses
  • Lured by misdirection
  • Patience is lacking
  • Average base strength and high center of gravity create issues holding up at the point of attack

100% accurate.

• Like 1

Beer__League__Hockey

We are stuck with Treemaine for 1 more year.  I read most of those critiques as a dude out of position.  Sucks being a finesse player shoehorned into the most violent position (mike).  Can't teach that, your either a killer or play a skill position.

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

• Tremaine Edmunds

COLLEGE
Virginia Tech
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Danville, VA
Junior

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 5"
253 lbs
34 1/2"
HANDS
Weaknesses
  • Lured by misdirection
  • Patience is lacking

You can't ask him to do everything he's asked to do in this 4-2 and fix all those issues at the same time.

Do I know that he would have developed into a more complete player if he were asked to do less?  No.  But the Bills have still done a piss-poor job developing him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Do I know that he would have developed into a more complete player if he were asked to do less?  No.  But the Bills have still done a piss-poor job developing him.

"Instincts are average"

I don't know many players that have been coached to hit a curve ball. Either it's in your instincts or not.

Also, you can't teach big. 

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
15 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

"Instincts are average"

I don't know many players that have been coached to hit a curve ball. Either it's in your instincts or not.

Also, you can't teach big. 

I'm curious to see what happens with Edmunds when he's inevitably jettisoned.  I can see some team paying him a ton of money to play WIL and him excelling when his key numbers are minimized to 2 or 3 per play. 

Dude just appears to have the EJ Manuel "Slow Eyes" problem that makes the position he plays beyond him.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...