Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

11 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Thanks for info. Not in NY. I've drawn out my ideal property about 40 times as my wife and I work out the details. 

Ideally I would like around 40 total acres, 15-20 of it being complete wooded. Plenty of pasture space for her horses and cattle and an area for my workshop, garden etc. Would love to back up to a creek or small lake. But; the more detail oriented I get; the harder it is to find. HAHA!

I've got that property. Central Virginia.

40 acres, seven in a gently rolling meadow, mowed for twenty years without any non organic additions. The rest is forested.

In that seven acres is a three acre vineyard.

North boundary is a creek, which runs year round.

Lot of work, but it works for us.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants
22 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I understand.  What dealership has the best reputation for parts and service where you are at?  That would weigh large in a purchasing decision if it were myself.  The area JD dealer here takes pretty good care of me considering that I am not a large volume buyer by any stretch.  Had a loader cylinder that needed new seals ahead of a snow storm a year ago and they worked me in on short notice and it was on before I went to bed that night.  Don't know if you are going to attempt to bale any hay but it would be good to check required power and operating weight before buying a tractor.  Maximum loader height would be important for loader mounted post hole auger.  Anyways, it sounds like you have put a fair amount of thought into it.  

Mahindra and Deere are closest. Not sure about reputation as many are brand people with their reviews. Trying to put as much thought and planning into this as I can. Going to look at a 20 acre parcel with option to combine another 18 this weekend. Its on a road that is not maintained and appears to be safe from any large developments so that's a plus. Heavily wooded on the entire property. Good and bad with that. I would do most of the clearing myself. Gives me the opportunity to open up the areas I want opened up and not have to rely on planting a bunch of trees at the start for the coverage I would want. May be able to enter a portion of the back into the forest program if I added the other 18 acres. There is an equine community not far but its 10 acres per home so, only 4 homes there. Everything else is dotted across the landscape so I like that element of it. Crime statistics and flooding etc; we will look into that more. Just so many variables going into this and with what we want to do; we are doing the best we can to make sure we settle where we will stay until we are gone. No kids so no need to worry about schools etc. So; makes it a bit easier. 

The Guy In Pants
21 hours ago, Ann said:

We've looked for that in three states. I hope you can find it (we did not).

Thanks; its tough going for sure

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants
13 hours ago, Sherpa said:

I've got that property. Central Virginia.

40 acres, seven in a gently rolling meadow, mowed for twenty years without any non organic additions. The rest is forested.

In that seven acres is a three acre vineyard.

North boundary is a creek, which runs year round.

Lot of work, but it works for us.

Sounds perfect!

10 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Sounds perfect!

Looks like you know what you're doing.

A few things that I've learned over the years.

Rent implements if you won't use them them often. 

Get a trailer and haul them from and to the rental facility.

Storing and maintaining them is not worth it, and I have a 30 x 40 barn that I could easily store them in. Just don't want the clutter.

The only implements I own are a bush hog, which I use every week, a six foot rake to rake the vineyard after pruning and harvest every year because it's cheap and I use it, and a blade to move snow in the winter, which happens once  or twice every two years, and because when I need one, everyone needs one at the same time.

Post hole diggers are cheaper to rent, and do not work that well off a PTO behind a tractor.

There are better options, and I'm not talking about the hand operating units. You probably have a much bigger post hole need than I did, (maybe 40 total holes), but I'm glad I don't own one.

Whatever tractor you buy, maintain it well. They are far easier to maintain than a car.

I had a 45 hp Kubota with hydrostat, and it performed perfectly for 20 years, but the hydrostat takes up a lot of hp before you get to the PTO.

I now have a 45 hp Deere. No hydrostat, since what I do is mostly straight line. Love it.

Used tractor prices are insane, but if you have patience, you can find one.

Good luck in your search

If you are ultimately successful in your search, and live in an area of low light pollution, get a telescope.

Planet and stargazing make for immensely rewarding kid and grandkid activities.

Edited by Sherpa
  • Like 2

The Guy In Pants

We spent the day taking care of a friends farm as they went out of town for the weekend. Spent a good portion of it cleaning 30 horse stalls and riding around on their Kubota L2900. Solid little tractor but wouldn’t be large enough for what I would expect to do with mine. I think it’s a tad underpowered but more importantly, too light.

I appreciate the info from y’all on what you’ve got and use.

I think I’ve watched every YouTube video they’ve got about tractors that are good for what I want it to do. Most homesteading, small farming forums settle around the same specifications. 

The land we had found; no go. Not anything I expected from the pics. Due to the sloping to the center and the flooding; no way in hell. I can see why it’s cheap and been on the market so long. 

Anyway; my back hurts. My legs hurt but it’s a good hurt. Felt good to work that hard today. My wife is starting to come around and be able to get back to things she loves. Thankfully. She worked her ass off today too.

Also; people are really &#%$ing up all the good things about living. So sad. 

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 2

The Guy In Pants
On 12/17/2021 at 6:49 PM, Sherpa said:

Looks like you know what you're doing.

A few things that I've learned over the years.

Rent implements if you won't use them them often. 

Get a trailer and haul them from and to the rental facility.

Storing and maintaining them is not worth it, and I have a 30 x 40 barn that I could easily store them in. Just don't want the clutter.

The only implements I own are a bush hog, which I use every week, a six foot rake to rake the vineyard after pruning and harvest every year because it's cheap and I use it, and a blade to move snow in the winter, which happens once  or twice every two years, and because when I need one, everyone needs one at the same time.

Post hole diggers are cheaper to rent, and do not work that well off a PTO behind a tractor.

There are better options, and I'm not talking about the hand operating units. You probably have a much bigger post hole need than I did, (maybe 40 total holes), but I'm glad I don't own one.

Whatever tractor you buy, maintain it well. They are far easier to maintain than a car.

I had a 45 hp Kubota with hydrostat, and it performed perfectly for 20 years, but the hydrostat takes up a lot of hp before you get to the PTO.

I now have a 45 hp Deere. No hydrostat, since what I do is mostly straight line. Love it.

Used tractor prices are insane, but if you have patience, you can find one.

Good luck in your search

If you are ultimately successful in your search, and live in an area of low light pollution, get a telescope.

Planet and stargazing make for immensely rewarding kid and grandkid activities.

Thanks. Actually looked at some JD online. Used prices are nuts. Rather go new for those prices. Especially with the rebates.

I do have a telescope. Pretty dark out where we are no. I love it. Not incredibly powerful but still fun.

I was outside this morning around 4 and the coyotes were going crazy. I am thinking of getting a night vision monocle. I have a scope on my Christmas list but want an independent device.

11 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Thanks. Actually looked at some JD online. Used prices are nuts. Rather go new for those prices. Especially with the rebates.

I do have a telescope. Pretty dark out where we are no. I love it. Not incredibly powerful but still fun.

I was outside this morning around 4 and the coyotes were going crazy. I am thinking of getting a night vision monocle. I have a scope on my Christmas list but want an independent device.

Farm equipment production was every bit as affected during the pandemic shut down like the automotive industry was.  The schedule back to normal is behind what is forecast for the automotive industry.  Bad time to be looking for  a lower HP tractor.  Could be worse if you were looking for other types of equipment.  The parts shortage is probably more acute at the moment.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Farm equipment production was every bit as affected during the pandemic shut down like the automotive industry was.  The schedule back to normal is behind what is forecast for the automotive industry.  Bad time to be looking for  a lower HP tractor.  Could be worse if you were looking for other types of equipment.  The parts shortage is probably more acute at the moment.

Yes. My husband sold his tractor (JD 955) for ask within a day via Craigslist. The wait time for new is incredibly long.

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants

The good news for me is I am not pressured to buy now. I have found some solid deals on Mahindra prior to Christmas. I won't need to purchase that soon. 

Land first. We've already chosen the floor plan for the house. I try to keep her mind off of life and on to more happy things like picking out the woodstove, designing her barn ect. Yesterday she had a bad day and was able to curb it by helping her make peanut butter balls she had been wanting to make. Her anxiety can get a little much for her sometimes. She's excited about our future plans and so am I. I cannot wait to get started. I have all these big plans. Even with the negative stuff; God has been very good to us. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...
The Guy In Pants

No real update for us. The process is slow. Looked at some land over the weekend. No go. I was told I’m very specific in what I’m looking for. Yes I am. Not buying just to say I have land. I’m buying for specific purposes and if it doesn’t work for those purposes, not buying it. In this market; we can’t afford to not be specific and get what we want from the start. 

Don’t get me wrong; it’s &#%$ing aggregating. I’m impatient as it is; so this is killing me on the inside. I want to get going. We are not getting any younger. 

Anyway; hope all is well with everyone here. 

• Like 3

RochesterRob
3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

No real update for us. The process is slow. Looked at some land over the weekend. No go. I was told I’m very specific in what I’m looking for. Yes I am. Not buying just to say I have land. I’m buying for specific purposes and if it doesn’t work for those purposes, not buying it. In this market; we can’t afford to not be specific and get what we want from the start. 

Don’t get me wrong; it’s &#%$ing aggregating. I’m impatient as it is; so this is killing me on the inside. I want to get going. We are not getting any younger. 

Anyway; hope all is well with everyone here. 

I'm probably not far enough away from I 90 and Rochester to see good value but I was just told about a sale for what I would call mediocre pasture land selling for over 10,000 per acre.  No housing development.  No industrial park.  Over 50 miles away from the Rochester city limits.  I think an adjustment is coming in land prices.  It is just too far removed from what an average person could afford to pay for it in 10-20 years into the future.  I remember the last one during the early 1980's.  If war comes involving China that will put a serious hurt on US grain exports because China is a very substantial part of our export market.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

41 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm probably not far enough away from I 90 and Rochester to see good value but I was just told about a sale for what I would call mediocre pasture land selling for over 10,000 per acre.  No housing development.  No industrial park.  Over 50 miles away from the Rochester city limits.  I think an adjustment is coming in land prices.  It is just too far removed from what an average person could afford to pay for it in 10-20 years into the future.  I remember the last one during the early 1980's.  If war comes involving China that will put a serious hurt on US grain exports because China is a very substantial part of our export market.  

But is it too much for Big Agra to afford? That is the real problem, squeezing out the little guys so the big corporations own all the land. And, it is hard to blame someone selling their land for wanting to get the most for it.

When we sold the hunting land, my husband called the neighbors first to see if they wanted it. It was sold to one of them, and the guy did not blink at the price. When the hunting land was purchased (by us) about 8-9 years ago, it had been for sale (and just sitting) for several years.

RochesterRob
18 minutes ago, Ann said:

But is it too much for Big Agra to afford? That is the real problem, squeezing out the little guys so the big corporations own all the land. And, it is hard to blame someone selling their land for wanting to get the most for it.

When we sold the hunting land, my husband called the neighbors first to see if they wanted it. It was sold to one of them, and the guy did not blink at the price. When the hunting land was purchased (by us) about 8-9 years ago, it had been for sale (and just sitting) for several years.

Big Agra is not involved in this sale.  The big farmers around here tend to be cheapskates when it comes to land.  I don't fault anyone to get the most that they can out of a sale.  I am just indicating caution is warranted in a market that has not seen a major correction in decades.  When assets start uncoupling from their value in terms of production or earnings i.e. speculation it is time to take a hard look at things.  I'll be the Negative Ned this morning and say the same thing about the stock market.  We are at the doorstep of 37,000 because we have have had decades where the market was infused with cash because institutional savings has been strangled by our government plus most companies have not had a pension in decades.  The traditional valuation method of evaluating a stock in terms of earnings is no longer in effect.  My fear is as the boomer generation moves so does the market.   As the tail end of that generation heads into retirement so goes the most effective earning group in terms of a paycheck.  They go from net contributors to net withdraw-ers.  I'm not confident that the generations who are mostly populated by comparatively smaller wage earners can keep the DOW propped up into the stratosphere.  

4 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Trust in Universe. Keep that intention going, she will hear you and provide. It may not be exactly what you want, but should be what you need. You will know it when you see it.

The Guy In Pants

We certainly aren’t rushing. I’m impatient as hell, for sure. What we are seeing here; and I’m sure it’s the norm, farms handed down to children who don’t want them and selling out to developers who are pressuring the municipalities to rezone and push for water and sewer access. Land isn’t even staying on the market long enough for people to go out and really look. You have to buy blind and hope no one comes in above you. 

Its certainly pushing the little guy out. What we are personally faced with is where the land is, the jobs are not. Par for the course. I don’t want to drive an hour and a half one way to get to work. 

• Like 2

RochesterRob
14 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

We certainly aren’t rushing. I’m impatient as hell, for sure. What we are seeing here; and I’m sure it’s the norm, farms handed down to children who don’t want them and selling out to developers who are pressuring the municipalities to rezone and push for water and sewer access. Land isn’t even staying on the market long enough for people to go out and really look. You have to buy blind and hope no one comes in above you. 

Its certainly pushing the little guy out. What we are personally faced with is where the land is, the jobs are not. Par for the course. I don’t want to drive an hour and a half one way to get to work. 

Most jobs are minimum wage here as it has risen above 13.00 per hour in NY.  That effectively takes those same people out of the land race as it would take several lifetimes to pay for it given the current prices.  As I told Ann most farmers loath to push prices but it is fair to say some buyers are outside of agriculture but do work with a farmer.  But to what end it is hard to say.  If I had to guess the farmer is just a front for foreign or illicit money to get in the door so to speak.  In general we are heading back to lords and serfs for which many left Europe in some cases centuries ago as it was hopeless to rise much above that system.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
The Guy In Pants

Going to look at more property this evening after work. 

Finally chose my tractor as well. Going tomorrow to test a Kioti NS6010. Really excited.

Starting some seeds indoors this weekend. Putting together a little indoor greenhouse idea in a spare bedroom instead the usually sun porch I use now. 

Can’t wait to get out and get my hands back into the earth. Messed with the raised beds this weekend; turning soil etc. and man did it feel good.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Going to look at more property this evening after work. 

Finally chose my tractor as well. Going tomorrow to test a Kioti NS6010. Really excited.

Starting some seeds indoors this weekend. Putting together a little indoor greenhouse idea in a spare bedroom instead the usually sun porch I use now. 

Can’t wait to get out and get my hands back into the earth. Messed with the raised beds this weekend; turning soil etc. and man did it feel good.

Far too early to start tomatoes, peppers, or cabbage around WNY.  

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants
On 2/8/2022 at 5:49 PM, RochesterRob said:

Far too early to start tomatoes, peppers, or cabbage around WNY.  

I don’t recall when mom used to start them but it was still snowing lol