Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

• 2 weeks later...

Freeze/near freezes are pretty much done here so I'm going to get some herbs going next week,... cilantro, basil, rosemary, and leaf lettuce. I'm doing everything in pots this year, it makes more sense so I can move stuff around if I have to. Sun is great for plants but it gets extreme here in the summer so that's why. Heirloom tomato's will be the German Queen. If you have never tried this variety I highly recommend it. Can be purchased wherever they sell Bonnie's plants... usually home depot, lowes, walmart, those types of places.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MothersMilk said:

Freeze/near freezes are pretty much done here so I'm going to get some herbs going next week,... cilantro, basil, rosemary, and leaf lettuce. I'm doing everything in pots this year, it makes more sense so I can move stuff around if I have to. Sun is great for plants but it gets extreme here in the summer so that's why. Heirloom tomato's will be the German Queen. If you have never tried this variety I highly recommend it. Can be purchased wherever they sell Bonnie's plants... usually home depot, lowes, walmart, those types of places.

I've done container gardening for a few years now. I recommend an earth box (on wheels) for growing. They are fabulous. If you plant in a traditional pot,  rolling "plant stands" or "planter caddies"  will help make your containers movable.  What seems light and airy with only soil + seedlings can become heavy and unmanageable when you have a large plant growing out of it.

You may also want to look into bloem ups-a-daisy planter lifts, especially for large pots to save on soil.

Giving thought to raising some pigs. We're planning to do some cows, but wifey made a good point that if you look at what meat we eat most, the pig is the winner: hams, chops, ribs, sausage, loins.

Anyone here raise pigs?

(Try to refrain from the obvious jokes...or at least try to be original if you feel the the need.)

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
9 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Giving thought to raising some pigs. We're planning to do some cows, but wifey made a good point that if you look at what meat we eat most, the pig is the winner: hams, chops, ribs, sausage, loins.

Anyone here raise pigs?

(Try to refrain from the obvious jokes...or at least try to be original if you feel the the need.)

I moderated some, years ago ATOP.

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Anyone here raise pigs?

We raised pigs when I was in high school. Cute little weaners but by the time they were bigger we couldn't wait to take them to the slaughter house.
Make sure the pens are secure because those buggers liked breaking out. Other than that they were well worth the effort to raise. Mom used to laugh when the old man would dumpster dive at IGA in his suit on the way home for veggie scraps to feed them. Feed them grain and supplement with things like molasses before slaughtering. Ex gf's son just raised some a couple years ago - the smoked pork was wonderful.
https://countrylivinginacariboovalley.com/raising-and-butchering-pigs-for-your-family/

Edited by Uncle Joe
add link

3 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

We raised pigs when I was in high school. Cute little weaners but by the time they were bigger we couldn't wait to take them to the slaughter house.
Make sure the pens are secure because those buggers liked breaking out. Other than that they were well worth the effort to raise. Mom used to laugh when the old man would dumpster dive at IGA in his suit on the way home for veggie scraps to feed them. Feed them grain and supplement with things like molasses before slaughtering. Ex gf's son just raised some a couple years ago - the smoked pork was wonderful.
https://countrylivinginacariboovalley.com/raising-and-butchering-pigs-for-your-family/

Thanks so much. We're not going to do the slaughter, but we're learning you need to book the mobile slaughter people WAY in advance these days. Appreciate the feedback.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Thanks so much. We're not going to do the slaughter, but we're learning you need to book the mobile slaughter people WAY in advance these days. Appreciate the feedback.

It is best to get in with grocery stores in your area to collect their expired milk, yogurt, cheese... vegetables, etc. Everyone I have ever known that raised pigs for slaughter has done this. The pigs don't care what kind of shape its in lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MothersMilk said:

It is best to get in with grocery stores in your area to collect their expired milk, yogurt, cheese... vegetables, etc. Everyone I have ever known that raised pigs for slaughter has done this. The pigs don't care what kind of shape its in lol.

Nice advice. Thanks.

It's funny, because when it comers to chickens, there's a lot of "what they eat is what you eat" but when it comes to pigs there's a lot of expired milk and dumpster diving. 

• Cheers 2

The Guy In Pants

Got my endoscopy done yesterday. The weather was beautiful. Glad I had the day off of work. Turned the soil in all my resided beds again. This weekend the beets, lettuce and other cooler veg seeds will go in. 

No luck on land. Looked at 25 acres in the local forestry program. Can’t access the land. Trees and brush grew up too dense due to neglect. Could only walk the permitter. Spoke to the family who owned it throughout the early and mid 1900’s to get an idea of what may be in there. Took my drone out and no luck getting an inside look. Would take a few years for the trees to mature enough but even then, arborist friend of the family saw the pics and said most of them will be useless.

They want way too much. The mother passed so it’s for sale by the son. I would maybe pay half of what they want because it’s going to take me literally thousands of dollars and months to clear, remove the stumps, turn the soil under, grade and replant. Even then; I don’t know what the situation with the middle of the property is, what the natural spring situation is or even a visual of how it slopes. I can see it on the map but nothing like seeing it.

They did deliver the tractor yesterday. Messed around with that for a little while getting familiar. 6’ box blade and a 6’ Bush Hog. Anyway, spring is knocking on the door and it makes me happy. 

Sister called and a tumor has returned. Please pray for her. She’s way too young for these things. Thanks.

image.jpeg.8dad28fc8837152730d340f1b8d66a95.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Sister called and a tumor has returned. Please pray for her. She’s way too young for these things. Thanks.

Oh no! I hope they can get rid of it. My best wishes that she has a complete recovery.

• Like 1

RochesterRob
5 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Got my endoscopy done yesterday. The weather was beautiful. Glad I had the day off of work. Turned the soil in all my resided beds again. This weekend the beets, lettuce and other cooler veg seeds will go in. 

No luck on land. Looked at 25 acres in the local forestry program. Can’t access the land. Trees and brush grew up too dense due to neglect. Could only walk the permitter. Spoke to the family who owned it throughout the early and mid 1900’s to get an idea of what may be in there. Took my drone out and no luck getting an inside look. Would take a few years for the trees to mature enough but even then, arborist friend of the family saw the pics and said most of them will be useless.

They want way too much. The mother passed so it’s for sale by the son. I would maybe pay half of what they want because it’s going to take me literally thousands of dollars and months to clear, remove the stumps, turn the soil under, grade and replant. Even then; I don’t know what the situation with the middle of the property is, what the natural spring situation is or even a visual of how it slopes. I can see it on the map but nothing like seeing it.

They did deliver the tractor yesterday. Messed around with that for a little while getting familiar. 6’ box blade and a 6’ Bush Hog. Anyway, spring is knocking on the door and it makes me happy. 

image.jpeg.8dad28fc8837152730d340f1b8d66a95.jpeg

Prayers sent.  A bad time to be buying land currently.  Too much money looking for places to go with land on the top of the list for many.  Hard to beat out somebody who got started in the 1960's and retired in style the past 20 years.  A stubborn inch or so of snow here so no out door plants for a while yet.  Around here a dozer hires for around 150 dollars per hour so a thousand dollars does not go far even to just to cut a rough path.  To do extensive work in 10 or 20 acres most likely would run into the 10's of thousand of dollars.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 1

We've ordered two piglets, which should be here in about 4-6 weeks.

So far the funniest part of this was a recent trip I took to SoCal for the memorial service of a colleague's wife. I stayed with some old friends, who invited other old friends over Saturday night for dinner. These are very good people, but very Orange County. 

When I mentioned the plan to raise a couple of pigs, you'd have thought I was announcing that I was leaving my family for a trans brazilian waxer and a job dealing blackjack in Atlantic City. Dead silence. Long stares. Incomplete sentences.

It was pretty funny. Actually, it was very funny.

One of the very best freedoms is the freedom from caring what other people think about you and your life.

• Like 5

The Guy In Pants
On 3/2/2022 at 9:49 AM, Ann said:

Oh no! I hope they can get rid of it. My best wishes that she has a complete recovery.

On 3/2/2022 at 11:42 AM, RochesterRob said:

Prayers sent.  A bad time to be buying land currently.  Too much money looking for places to go with land on the top of the list for many.  Hard to beat out somebody who got started in the 1960's and retired in style the past 20 years.  A stubborn inch or so of snow here so no out door plants for a while yet.  Around here a dozer hires for around 150 dollars per hour so a thousand dollars does not go far even to just to cut a rough path.  To do extensive work in 10 or 20 acres most likely would run into the 10's of thousand of dollars.

Thanks y’all!

• Love 1

The Guy In Pants
8 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

So far the funniest part of this was a recent trip I took to SoCal for the memorial service of a colleague's wife. I stayed with some old friends, who invited other old friends over Saturday night for dinner. These are very good people, but very Orange County. 

When I mentioned the plan to raise a couple of pigs, you'd have thought I was announcing that I was leaving my family for a trans brazilian waxer and a job dealing blackjack in Atlantic City. Dead silence. Long stares. Incomplete sentences.

One of the very best freedoms is the freedom from caring what other people think about you and your life.

I can relate to the skepticism of others when you announce a plan like that. It’s as if they go through stages: humor - inquisitive disbelief - confused disgust - misdirected animosity- humor again.

Some can’t fathom anything other than what they consider normal. Not caring is the best.

Good luck with the pigs

RochesterRob
8 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

So your friends looked at you and your wife like you were Oliver and Lisa Douglas?

The Guy In Pants

I just priced out building our own chicken coop/run. That’s a hard no. I’m talking with someone whose already got the materials and has been building them for years. Saves me time and money.

We’ve been bartering for eggs from neighbors. I’ll do some clearing between the peach trees and blueberries to make room for a large chicken house. I’ll be starting with egg layers. Once I get the wooded area clear where we live now; will probably add meat chickens.

We’ve suspended the search for property. I don’t know what the hell is going to happen in this country and I’m done trying to understand the level of stupidity I’m seeing. We are moving forward with our plans here. I’ve got a lot of work to do. It’s not the ideal we were looking for but the lord has blessed us with what we have and it’s time to make the best of what we have and be thankful for it.

Thinking of Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rock hens. Good layers, temperament is good and really hardy chickens. 

More work in the garden; I extended the fence and added a couple more raised beds. 

Just some updates on what I’m doing. Hope all is well.

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

So your friends looked at you and your wife like you were Oliver and Lisa Douglas?

That was kind of the running joke when we first told them we were buying 5 acres in Northern Idaho. They smiled, but you could tell they thought we were overreacting to life in Calfornia.

That was a bit over three years ago. Once they couldn't find toilet paper, they wanted to come see what Northern Idaho was all about.

1 hour ago, The Guy In Pants said:

I just priced out building our own chicken coop/run. That’s a hard no. I’m talking with someone whose already got the materials and has been building them for years. Saves me time and money.

We bought this when we first decided to do chickens. It is awesome (and on sale when we got it), VERY easy to put together, and has never had a single issue for the past couple of years.

Now, however, wifey wants a larger run and coop, so we're starting again, but looking at something someone local has built. And we'll keep this one for other things like chicken care, etc.

• Like 1