Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

RochesterRob
8 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

SA-LUTE!

Most of these places you need to have one pair of regular overalls, one pair of Carhart overalls, unstained, for Sunday church, two vehicles without license plates (nobody puts cars up on blocks anymore),  5,000 dollars worth of Big Foot type tires on a 2,000 dollar pickup truck, and a minimum of 500 dollars worth of firearms for the locals to accept you.  

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2022 at 10:57 AM, Uncle Joe said:

We raised pigs when I was in high school. Cute little weaners but by the time they were bigger we couldn't wait to take them to the slaughter house.

Case in point @IDBillzFan

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants

Doing something similar @IDBillzFan. But, not for meat chickens. Was speaking with a neighbor down the road who stopped to see what I had going on. Currently building a new rain catching system and about 30 other projects all at once. Trucks; tractor and material scattered throughout the yard got his attention. I bought a frame off of Amazon and I am attaching it to 4x4 skids and wrapping in hardware cloth to allow the ladies their chance to get out and enjoy the grass/sun more. I'll be able to move it when I need to.

Anyway; he does meat chickens. We spoke of some bartering options. I love that. We already do a little bit hear and there. But; it's pretty awesome to do and I can't stress the importance of having those options enough. 

I met this guy and his wife a couple years ago. He moved from California and works and travels for Bank of America. Army vet. I cant recall for sure but I believe his family originally came from Venezuela. They moved out to a little place at the end of our road. His wife's family (Californians in every sense of the word) give his wife and him a very hard time, thinking they're nuts for "homesteading". He sees the writing on the wall for this nation of incompetent citizens who spend most of their time pretending there is nothing wrong. 

Anyway; so many projects. Extended the garden a bit more on Sunday. Yesterday I got the squash, zucchini, spaghetti squash, cucumber, peas, corn and peppers in. Today I'll need to get the beans, radishes and other stuff in. We just had a massive yard sale for charity and I have one trailer load of stuff to take up to Goodwill so I can free up the trailer to load with rock for other projects. 

My wife asked me why I don't mind doing all of this stuff and being so busy but hate going to work. I probably could have listed dozens of reason. Number 1; I am not working with a bunch of childish grown ass adults causing me unnecessary stress. Number 2; no commute on the road with hundreds of retarded drivers. Number 3; this is my stuff on my terms. I don't have to deal with someone who doesn't have a clue about what I do, giving me advice on how to do it. Number 4; taxation is theft and I have no choice but to partake when employed by the man. Number 5; I am outside and my hands are dirty and I am closer to God out there. Number 6; I set my own deadlines. Number 7; I answer to no one (But her hahahaha). Number 8; I LOVE what I do outside. If I could; I'd do nothing but farm. Its tough work but it's honest work. 

We are still looking for more land. Went and looked at a home with 13 acres. Liked it but ultimately, it was not where we wanted to be. Not in a rush and don't NEED to go anywhere. Just have dreams we'd like to live out but not at the expense of massively inflated prices of real estate. 

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. I have to get some lumber today on my lunch break so I drove my truck. It was at 3/4 tank. I filled it up for almost $60. I would like to take this opportunity to do the unchristian thing and tell everyone who caused this entire debacle we are living to &#%$ right off. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Anyway; he does meat chickens. We spoke of some bartering options. I love that. We already do a little bit hear and there. But; it's pretty awesome to do and I can't stress the importance of having those options enough.

There's a genuine effort up here to barter and something my wife immediately embraced once people found out she has chickens. She gets $6 per dozen taken off bills from places like our chiropractor or where she gets her hair done. Once the pigs are in she wants to focus on extending from six birds to maybe two dozen. We'll also move on to cattle next year.

Also, now that the weather has calmed down, we spent the entire weekend in the garden, and starting the fencing and housing for the pigs, and what you say is 100% true: getting outside in the dirt like this is therapeutic, to say the least. There's a peace out there I never find in my job. 

My biggest goal right now, for the next two years moving forward, is to find a way to sustain off the land and do this full time. 

• Like 4

The Guy In Pants
1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

There's a genuine effort up here to barter and something my wife immediately embraced once people found out she has chickens. She gets $6 per dozen taken off bills from places like our chiropractor or where she gets her hair done. Once the pigs are in she wants to focus on extending from six birds to maybe two dozen. We'll also move on to cattle next year.

Also, now that the weather has calmed down, we spent the entire weekend in the garden, and starting the fencing and housing for the pigs, and what you say is 100% true: getting outside in the dirt like this is therapeutic, to say the least. There's a peace out there I never find in my job. 

My biggest goal right now, for the next two years moving forward, is to find a way to sustain off the land and do this full time. 

As is mine. 

• Like 3

The Guy In Pants

Finishing up the run for the chickens. Have to trim the hardware cloth etc. They seem to like it and they're getting comfortable with me being around.

278774106_5218538854851825_5430724909796292100_n.jpg.f12707b1a7c53236d84239a662167a1b.jpg278865833_5225354467503597_4006987781291869140_n.thumb.jpg.528ab2100bc96dc642a4759ae4821fd5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today is pig day. Finished up the fencing and shelter earlier this week with my neighbor.

I'm not particularly good at building stuff, so I made an arrangement with my neighbor, who is very good at this stuff and has all the farm toys you need (tractor, auger, etc). The deal is "you buy your pig and pay to have it slaughtered, and I'll take care of all the other costs (food, materials, etc.) if you help me build."

Turns out he had plenty of railroad ties, wood and metal roofing sheets, and I purchased second hand hog panels, electric fence (with solar power) materials, water barrel and other stuff from a friend of the family whose daughter raises pigs for Four H, but was done and looking to get rid of her material. Got 20 virtually new pallets for free from the local grocery story to use as the sides, back and roofing of the shelter.

Weaners cost $150 each. Total materials purchased to build the shelter inside the 16'x16' pen was just under $300.

Assuming this isn't a shitshow, we built everything so we could easily do four pigs next year because it's becoming pretty clear that pigs are the new chicken for homesteaders, and selling a whole hog to someone can fetch upwards of $900 up here. The math works out pretty nicely over the next couple of years.

I'll try to post some photos later. Wish me luck. I have pretty much no effin' clue what I'm doing, and it's pretty invigorating.

• Cheers 2

IDBillzFan

If you somehow told 40-year-old me this is something I'd be doing at the age of 60, I'd have pissed myself laughing. Will keep updates here as we learn our way through this. But I can't tell which I enjoy more; getting involved in a project like this, or the looks on the faces of family and friends who see me building structures and raising pigs in Northern Idaho.

279574934_10166478786425154_9153516295199746960_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p600x600&_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=THeemdISgX4AX-uawVe&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AT-dBZ5zsSWI2TknEABBJkxSp8buLHkn49d3ms6lmcGmdA&oe=627549A5

May be an image of outdoors

279427380_10166478786410154_3799634548304374793_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p600x600&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=7D0_rO-GgAEAX9Hv1jf&tn=YGw8h9gKD2vT7wYN&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AT9k3SblJGngW8geJhHHaPYujXvC_1nvP8BVFptv_noaRA&oe=62752E3C

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants
On 5/2/2022 at 10:53 AM, IDBillzFan said:

If you somehow told 40-year-old me this is something I'd be doing at the age of 60, I'd have pissed myself laughing. Will keep updates here as we learn our way through this. But I can't tell which I enjoy more; getting involved in a project like this, or the looks on the faces of family and friends who see me building structures and raising pigs in Northern Idaho.

279574934_10166478786425154_9153516295199746960_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p600x600&_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=THeemdISgX4AX-uawVe&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AT-dBZ5zsSWI2TknEABBJkxSp8buLHkn49d3ms6lmcGmdA&oe=627549A5

May be an image of outdoors

279427380_10166478786410154_3799634548304374793_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p600x600&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=7D0_rO-GgAEAX9Hv1jf&tn=YGw8h9gKD2vT7wYN&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AT9k3SblJGngW8geJhHHaPYujXvC_1nvP8BVFptv_noaRA&oe=62752E3C

Life is short. 40 year old you didn't know what 60 year old you had seen or began to appreciate about life. If you bump into 40 year old you; let him know it was a good idea.

Speaking of the looks you're getting; we had a baby shower to attend this weekend for a family on our road. It'll tie in momentarily. 

I met him not long after her and his wife moved in. I was out building my raised beds and he was walking their baby in a stroller. I waved and didn't think much of it but figured I hadn't seen this person before so maybe I should engage. He and his wife came from California. They moved to a very large city near me after he got out of the Army. Anyway; his family thinks he is absolutely nuts. He moved out into the country and built a very beautiful homestead. He has created complete self sustainment. But they think he is nuts. 

He was an Army Special Agent in Maryland; tied to the executive branch somehow. I never did really dig for more info. But; this guy was definitly not enlisted. He had to have been an officer. While in the Marines; there were stark differences between enlisted and brass. Easy to tell them apart most times. 

Not to get in on the fringe "theories" in the homestaeading thread but, he and I talk almost everyday. He's got some good inside information from some friends in better places on the situations many will be facing in the not too distant future if things play out the way he and I have discussed. 

You see; being able to live outside the circle of grocery stores, gas stations and work is not something a lot of people today are able to do. 

What you, myself and many others are doing, regardless of why we started, is setting ourselves up to be able to provide for those whom we are tasked to provide for should the comfort and accesibility of our former world be removed or at least crippled. 

Anyway; things are going good here. The garden is beautiful and my chickens are healthy and slamming out those eggs. 

• Like 3

IDBillzFan
3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

What you, myself and many others are doing, regardless of why we started, is setting ourselves up to be able to provide for those whom we are tasked to provide for should the comfort and accesibility of our former world be removed or at least crippled. 

My business partner and his wife are gun enthusiasts, and have spent many weekends doing tactical training in the desert. At one moment, when the shit was hitting the fan for some Obama-driven drivel, I joked to him that things get any worse, I'm coming to his house, to which he replied, "No you're not. Get your own shit."

We laughed because he was joking, until now, years later, when I am much closer to being self-sufficient than 98% of everyone I know personally, and a friend in CA commented to me "It's cool watching what you're doing up there on your propery. If the shit hits the fan, I'm come to your house."

Uh, no, you're not. Get your own shit. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

MothersMilk

Just found out that I have a Sirinam Cherry bush across the way, like 15' from my yard.

https://healthfully.com/275240-the-benefits-of-surinam-cherry-fruit.html

The fruit of the Surinam cherry is very highly flavored, tasting similar to a mango 3. Information obtained from the Western Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education reveals that the fruit is rich in vitamin C, phosphorus, calcium, iron, riboflavin and niacin, as well as being an excellent source of vitamin A. The Surinam cherry fruit is also rich in the antioxidants lycopene, beta-cryptoxanthin, gamma-carotene and rubixanthin 3. The fruit readily releases its juices when sprinkled with sugar, and is used in jams and jellies, ice cream and fruit cups; as well as fermented into wine, vinegar and liqueurs.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants
On 5/11/2022 at 3:57 PM, MothersMilk said:

Just found out that I have a Sirinam Cherry bush across the way, like 15' from my yard.

The fruit of the Surinam cherry is very highly flavored, tasting similar to a mango 3. Information obtained from the Western Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education reveals that the fruit is rich in vitamin C, phosphorus, calcium, iron, riboflavin and niacin, as well as being an excellent source of vitamin A. The Surinam cherry fruit is also rich in the antioxidants lycopene, beta-cryptoxanthin, gamma-carotene and rubixanthin 3. The fruit readily releases its juices when sprinkled with sugar, and is used in jams and jellies, ice cream and fruit cups; as well as fermented into wine, vinegar and liqueurs.

That’s pretty sweet

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants

Tractor made quick work of lifting two 8500 Watt generators up to my shop table to work on them. Got them both running and making power. Everything works like it should so that’s a plus. Put together a cable to run the well pump should power go out. 

Also received the EcoFlow Delta Max portable power station and solar panels. 
i love the pass through charging and the length of time it will power freezers etc. the fact that it can be charged a multitude of ways is a big help. For example; I can run a gas Gen for an hour and a half and recharge the Ecoflow.

Backup power is important to me but I’m skeptical with dropping a bunch of money on useless products that really don’t do what they say. There is an abundance of them on the market so it took a while to figure out how I wanted to set this up. 

6 more 60 gallon rain catching barrels to install. Going to route these in series with each other. Lots of little projects going on in anticipation for anything that’s possible anymore. 

I won’t get political but this worldwide bullshit is ridiculous. People are stupid and they just happen to be in charge.

• Like 2

IDBillzFan

We're a little over two weeks into raising our two pigs and while I know this will change, it's literally one of the simplest tasks I've ever taken on. They're like babies in that all they do is eat, sleep, piss, shit and root around.

You can sense the impending assault on your nostrils, but so far the only real challenge has been having to bring in the solar panel used to power the electric fence. We're just not getting enough sunlight to be self-sufficient, so we have to put it under a grow lamp at night. Not a big deal.

• Like 1

You guys all talking about these big immense outdoor projects and here I am transplanting a few hostas and planting some new shrubs and a tray of annuals I picked up at the nursery thinking Im all that. 

Thanks for reminding me Im worthless and weak 

• Wow 1
  • Haha 2

Jabba The Hutt
On 5/11/2022 at 3:57 PM, MothersMilk said:

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

That’s pretty sweet

We put in a Suriname Cherry hedge on the back part of our property. Going to Graft some very sweet varieties that have little to no resin flavor. 

• Like 2

Jabba The Hutt

Also going to chainsaw down a few more trees today while waiting for the forestry mulcher to arrive. Want to grab more logs for Hügelkultur beds. After that happens going to plant Mango hedges and tons of other more rare tropical fruit trees.

• Like 2

MothersMilk
7 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

We put in a Suriname Cherry hedge on the back part of our property. Going to Graft some very sweet varieties that have little to no resin flavor. 

What State are you in? Down here in places they are considered a nuisance plant, this would be Florida. The one across the way is a lone wolf though, don't think there are any more around here. Could have been planted by a bird years ago.

• Like 1

Jabba The Hutt
3 hours ago, MothersMilk said:

What State are you in? Down here in places they are considered a nuisance plant, this would be Florida. The one across the way is a lone wolf though, don't think there are any more around here. Could have been planted by a bird years ago.

I'm here in Florida. Those "wild" ones taste like diesel fuel poured on a dog turd when compared to the selected varieties. :shtf:

Edited by Jabba The Hutt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1