Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Around the NFL

GG1

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't think he is...he still misses far too many holes, and has this weird penchant for taking outside runs too wide.

Damn, I thought that was just me. He had a couple of runs this past week where I was yelling "Hit the hole!" and he'd bounce it outside for minimal gain. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't think he is...he still misses far too many holes, and has this weird penchant for taking outside runs too wide.

I'm afraid you're right. I like Singletary but they really need an upgrade to keep this offense legit.  And in this case, by  "upgrade" I mean more consistent production.  Not looking for a superstar there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Damn, I thought that was just me. He had a couple of runs this past week where I was yelling "Hit the hole!" and he'd bounce it outside for minimal gain. 

I kept shouting "hold on to the ball", because that's also been an issue.

• FANtastic 1

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

I'm afraid you're right. I like Singletary but they really need an upgrade to keep this offense legit.  And in this case, by  "upgrade" I mean more consistent production.  Not looking for a superstar there.

l like him as a changeup type of guy but I prefer more physical guys.  I'm not going to be one of those dudes who screams "we need a Derek Henry" because that's not at all reasonable but I do prefer bigger, more punishing guys who are less likely to end up being road kill when guys like Ingram are blitzing (my God, how do you trade THAT guy to a team in the AFC?).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, snafu said:

If that translates into a competent, complimentary running game, then I agree.

The Bill offense exploded because Singletary ran better in the last six games or so.  I don't know if he's the guy. however. 

And for those who are praising Daboll so much, it took him all of last year plus 2/3 of the season to figure out that the offense needed balance.  Either he didn't see it or he didn't use his personnel right, or he isn't too good at devising running plays.

Singletary is ok.  He lacks vision and will never be a Jonathan Taylor, but he might be good enough in a pass first offense.  He needs better blocking than what he had the first 2/3 of the season.  Same situation with Moss.

You nailed it with the second paragraph.  If I'm McD, I'm not happy with how Daboll handled the run game and blocking scheme.  It does look like Daboll changed up the blocking scheme, as well as personnel (Bates at LG) late in the season.  You have to wonder about Daboll's thought process through most of the season with regards to blocking scheme and run game.  It got to the point where it affected the passing game so I guess that prompted Daboll to take drastic action, where anything that changed his preferred blocking scheme is drastic even though the olinemen couldn't execute.  It is perplexing how teams think Daboll is HC material and ignore the fact that Josh covers for his ineptitude, but fine with me.  I won't miss him.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
22 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't think he is...he still misses far too many holes,

I wonder how much of that is because his run blocking has been shit for two years.  Hard to hit holes when they're not consistently open.

Not that I think he recovers from that...just wonder how much bad run blocking has hindered his development.

54 minutes ago, snafu said:

And for those who are praising Daboll so much, it took him all of last year plus 2/3 of the season to figure out that the offense needed balance Gabe Davis.  Either he didn't see it or he didn't use his personnel right, or he isn't too good at devising running plays.

Bates addition to the Oline helped a lot. I think he also helped Morse since he's played center and knew when to help out.
But the addition of Gabe Davis to the starting lineup not only added a receiver with a big body and great hands, he is also a damn good blocker.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Core Four said:

It is perplexing how teams think Daboll is HC material and ignore the fact that Josh covers for his ineptitude, but fine with me.  I won't miss him.

I'd actually prefer if he stays. He's gotten it figured out.  AND if he goes to Miami, then we're going to need to make drastic changes -- which is never a good thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, snafu said:

I'd actually prefer if he stays. He's gotten it figured out.  AND if he goes to Miami, then we're going to need to make drastic changes -- which is never a good thing.

I don't know about that.  It looked like he had it figured out last year, we outscored everyone.  Then this season rolled around starting with the Steelers, which was a perplexing offensive plan to say the least.  Rather than trying to be effective, Daboll can lure himself into showcasing his circus-like "trick" plays where he only fools himself.  He looked like a complete dunce against Jacksonville, Urban Meyer outsmarted Daboll badly.

20 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Singletary is ok.  He lacks vision and will never be a Jonathan Taylor, but he might be good enough in a pass first offense.  He needs better blocking than what he had the first 2/3 of the season.  Same situation with Moss.

You nailed it with the second paragraph.  If I'm McD, I'm not happy with how Daboll handled the run game and blocking scheme.  It does look like Daboll changed up the blocking scheme, as well as personnel (Bates at LG) late in the season.  You have to wonder about Daboll's thought process through most of the season with regards to blocking scheme and run game.  It got to the point where it affected the passing game so I guess that prompted Daboll to take drastic action, where anything that changed his preferred blocking scheme is drastic even though the olinemen couldn't execute.  It is perplexing how teams think Daboll is HC material and ignore the fact that Josh covers for his ineptitude, but fine with me.  I won't miss him.

To me the motor is even better then ok and continues to improve in the process IMO.

I think a game plan can be built around him IMO. Its not by coincidence Singletary's production improved when his number was called more and the Oline run blocking techniques improved IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Urban Meyer outsmarted Daboll badly.

"I'm going to force Cody Ford to make a decision each play."

There haven't been many huge misses in BB's drafts...but Ford is clearly one.

1 minute ago, Figster said:

To me the motor is even better then ok and continues to improve in the process IMO.

I think a game plan can be built around him IMO. Its not by coincidence Singletary's production improved when his number was called more and the Oline run blocking techniques improved IMO.

Yeah, I can't argue with this.  I wouldn't be upset with bringing both Moss and Singletary back, nor do I think we need to spend big or draft another RB.  McD has to keep in mind that they need better blocking than what Daboll schemed the first 2/3 of the season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The other one that comes to mind is Edmunds.  He's not a total miss like Ford though I do think he was over drafted; my guess is Leslie Frazier had something to do with the pick.  What isn't helping is that he is being forced into a role that he probably isn't able to play at a high level when compared to guys like Darius Leonard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Core Four said:

Yeah, I can't argue with this.  I wouldn't be upset with bringing both Moss and Singletary back, nor do I think we need to spend big or draft another RB.  McD has to keep in mind that they need better blocking than what Daboll schemed the first 2/3 of the season.

I'm not giving Daboll a pass but the difference in play with Bates (versus IB, JF, CF, etc.) played a role here.  Bates is pretty clearly smarter/more physical than the other guys and that allowed for a lot more flexibility. 

I always wonder how the "playing time" matrix works.  Did McDermott force Daboll to keep trotting Ford out there?  Who finally made the decision to put 79 in at RT and kick DW inside?  Is Bates' value as a swing guy so high that you don't play him and let the offense suffer as a result?

Before the seasons I was concerned about the Oline for all the obvious reasons...which played out even worse than I could have imagined for far too long.  The only real questions now is what the depth looks like next season - who gets cut loose, who do we draft, etc.  But the starting 5 should remain exactly as is barring injury.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I wasn't unhappy with the Cody Ford pick initially. I think he is a mauler. What I have seen though is his inability to process information e.g, blocking air in pass pro,

• Like 1

The other one that comes to mind is Edmunds.  He's not a total miss like Ford though I do think he was over drafted; my guess is Leslie Frazier had something to do with the pick.  What isn't helping is that he is being forced into a role that he probably isn't able to play at a high level when compared to guys like Darius Leonard.

You and I have been on the same page with 49 since...well as long as I can remember.  I know he's young and they're trying like hell to give him every chance they can to develop...but I think that log is burnt.

3 minutes ago, Core Four said:

With Allen at QB (running skills) Singletary and Moss carrying the rock. Becoming a better run blockking team is a no brainer IMO. Its not that I want Allen running the football. The threat of him running and doing so at crunch time becomes an unstopable force for the oppostion iMO. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

You and I have been on the same page with 49 since...well as long as I can remember.  I know he's young and they're trying like hell to give him every chance they can to develop...but I think that log is burnt.

It's interesting though, we keep hearing how the staff is happy with Edmunds and he's doing what he is supposed to do in Frazier's scheme.  My problem with this is the scheme isn't right for teams like KC and Edmunds rarely makes any kind of impactful plays.  Maybe that is being noticed and kept in-house behind locked doors.  They did pick up his 5th year option, so they're probably going to keep him next year at the least.

6 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm not giving Daboll a pass but the difference in play with Bates (versus IB, JF, CF, etc.) played a role here.  Bates is pretty clearly smarter/more physical than the other guys and that allowed for a lot more flexibility. 

I always wonder how the "playing time" matrix works.  Did McDermott force Daboll to keep trotting Ford out there?  Who finally made the decision to put 79 in at RT and kick DW inside?  Is Bates' value as a swing guy so high that you don't play him and let the offense suffer as a result?

Before the seasons I was concerned about the Oline for all the obvious reasons...which played out even worse than I could have imagined for far too long.  The only real questions now is what the depth looks like next season - who gets cut loose, who do we draft, etc.  But the starting 5 should remain exactly as is barring injury.

I have to think Beane had some say in giving Ford every opportunity imaginable.  BB does have some input in the starting 53 just like McD and staff have input into drafting and FA acquisitions.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Morse's $11.25M cap hit, as well as Daryl Williams' $9.9M cap hit next year.  Williams was paid as a RT, only now overpaid as a RG.  Those two are overpowered too easily.  Only problem is the dead cap is $3.75M with Morse and $3.6M with Williams.  Maybe they roll with Morse for another year, but I would have an issue with them keeping Williams who is currently the weak link.

• Like 2

I have to think Beane had some say in giving Ford every opportunity imaginable.  BB does have some input in the starting 53 just like McD and staff have input into drafting and FA acquisitions.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Morse's $11.25M cap hit, as well as Daryl Williams' $9.9M cap hit next year.  Williams was paid as a RT, only now overpaid as a RG.  Those two are overpowered too easily.  Only problem is the dead cap is $3.75M with Morse and $3.6M with Williams.  Maybe they roll with Morse for another year, but I would have an issue with them keeping Williams who is currently the weak link.

I think Morse at a minimum gets restructured because centers are way harder to replace than guards.  Not sure what the plan is with Williams but your points are clearly valid.