Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Around the NFL

GG1

Question for those of you who follow college football:

Do you think Urban Meyer can be a successful NFL coach?

It's seems odd to me that he took the job at Jacksonville fully aware he would get Trevor Lawrence, and the plan is to find an as-yet undefined offensive identity that is a hybrid between what you did in college and what your former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator wants to do. I'm also surprised he doesn't have an assistant anything that was a former NFL HC, which is usually a good idea for a first time HC (i.e. McDermott and Frazier).

It also seems ridiculous to me that CJ Beathard is QB3. I know he was playing against 3rds last night, but his camp has been very good and he should be QB2 over Minshew, and probably should even be QB1 for a while while Trevor Lawrence gets his feet under him because Lawrence is about to have his career FUBAR'd behind that line.

Can Meyer make it work? Or will he be next in a long line of college-to-NFL coaches who couldn't make the switch?

Edited by IDBillzFan

3 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

It's seems odd to me that he took the job at Carolina fully aware he would get Trevor Lawrence, and the plan is to find an as-yet undefined offensive identity that is a hybrid between what you did in college and what your former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator wants to do. I'm also surprised he doesn't have an assistant anything that was a former NFL HC, which is usually a good idea for a first time HC (i.e. McDermott and Frazier).

It also seems ridiculous to me that CJ Beathard is QB3. I know he was playing against 3rds last night, but his camp has been very good and he should be QB2 over Minshew, and probably should even be QB1 for a while while Trevor Lawrence gets his feet under him because Lawrence is about to have his career FUBAR'd behind that line.

Can Meyer make it work? Or will he be next in a long line of college-to-NFL coaches who couldn't make the switch?

When did he work for Carolina?  I think you meant Jacksonville.

I know head coaches need a plan. It may not seem obvious to us, but he shouldn't have been hired without one. Is his plan going to work in the NFL? 

One thing is for sure, Trevor Lawrence is gonna get killed behind that line.

5 minutes ago, Ann said:

I know head coaches need a plan. It may not seem obvious to us, but he shouldn't have been hired without one. Is his plan going to work in the NFL? 

I meant Jacksonville. I always get those two franchises confused for some reason.

Oh, and to the larger point: if he FUBARs a rebuild like this, it will be horrible for Jaguar fans. You have everything you need to start a successful rebuild. 

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ann said:

It was a lot easier to walk into a High School All American’s living room and offer a scholarship to UF or OSU, then redshirt him behind all the previous All Americans. It would be a shame for the league and the player if they make Trevor a human piñata.  David Carr advises against that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Clemson is now unofficially known as "Boo Boo Foot U".

But at least they go on to have BIG JOBS! 

4 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

It's seems odd to me that he took the job at Jacksonville fully aware he would get Trevor Lawrence, and the plan is to find an as-yet undefined offensive identity that is a hybrid between what you did in college and what your former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator wants to do. I'm also surprised he doesn't have an assistant anything that was a former NFL HC, which is usually a good idea for a first time HC (i.e. McDermott and Frazier).

No. Most have failed... miserably. Urban is clever, but we've seen how clever CFL coaches have faired in the NFL>

8 hours ago, Joe said:

Happy bag on Cian Fahey day....the Duck is dead

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Clemson is now unofficially known as "Boo Boo Foot U".

My brother almost accepted a professorship there, but went to Auburn instead.

His feet are fine.

Coincidence?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I meant Jacksonville. I always get those two franchises confused for some reason.

Oh, and to the larger point: if he FUBARs a rebuild like this, it will be horrible for Jaguar fans. You have everything you need to start a successful rebuild. 

They were both founded the same year

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler
6 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I think he's just an opportunist. He got a nice contract, knew he would get Lawrence, and he thought he would figure the rest out later. Later is now

Alaska Darin
8 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Frankly, I doubt it.  Urban won in at Florida and OSU by out-recruiting everyone.  At Utah he basically put the spread on the big stage for the very first time and dared anyone to match up with it.  The Mountain West wasn't exactly a conference known for talent/defensive acumen.

He simply had better athletes and let them do what they do.  If he tries to use his offensive "system" in the NFL, Lawrence will have a career similar to RG3.  Not surrounding that dude with a ton of top notch OLine talent ain't a great start.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Frankly, I doubt it.  Urban won in at Florida and OSU by out-recruiting everyone.  At Utah he basically put the spread on the big stage for the very first time and dared anyone to match up with it.  The Mountain West wasn't exactly a conference known for talent/defensive acumen.

He simply had better athletes and let them do what they do.  If he tries to use his offensive "system" in the NFL, Lawrence will have a career similar to RG3.  Not surrounding that dude with a ton of top notch OLine talent ain't a great start.

Sounds like beane should trade a back up or 2 to jax

pick should be valuable