Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Around the NFL

GG1

49 minutes ago, Koko said:

Wasn't one of the offseason rumors that there was a hang-up between the Fish and Texans regarding language in the trade agreement that would either reverse the trade, or provide some compensation if Watson were suspended/prosecuted?

That sounds famliar, and it *should* be part of what is going on. I have to believe not even the Fish are capable of giving up a ton of high draft picks for a guy who can still end up going to prison.

On 10/20/2021 at 4:40 PM, Joe said:

How is THAT pronounced 

Shi-shev-ski.  Total guess but that's my default for every Polock. .

On 10/19/2021 at 5:21 PM, Ann said:

On 10/20/2021 at 5:40 PM, Joe said:

How is THAT pronounced 

8 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Shi-shev-ski.  Total guess but that's my default for every Polock. .

Buffalo News has it as: Ka-czar-check

SI has it as: Ki-ZAR-zack

Being as he is a West Seneca native and UB Bull, though they are close, Im'a go with the Buff News pronunciation

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

SI has it as: Ki-ZAR-zack

Being as he is a West Seneca native and UB Bull, though they are close, Im'a go with the Buff News pronunciation

I bet they don't have even one person on staff at SI who has ever made pickles.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

We make 'em here. Not too bad if I say so myself. Wife loves them.

• Love 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
23 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I had assumed it was that, or pretty close.  But honestly, if it had turned out to be "Smith," I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised. 

Only Welsh pronunciation is weirder than Polish (and yes, I considered Finnish.  A close third.)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Foxx said:

We make 'em here. Not too bad if I say so myself. Wife loves them.

Gotta get fresh cukes! That’s a must. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't think SI has a staff, so ...

14 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I had assumed it was that, or pretty close.  But honestly, if it had turned out to be "Smith," I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised. 

Only Welsh pronunciation is weirder than Polish (and yes, I considered Finnish.  A close third.)

Gaelic and Hungarian are pretty weird, too. Sometimes I go on Google maps and scroll through the Welsh countryside and laugh at the names of some of the villages.

Like Ffawyddog, Bettws-y-crwyn or Three Cocks.

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Gaelic and Hungarian are pretty weird, too. Sometimes I go on Google maps and scroll through the Welsh countryside and laugh at the names of some of the villages.

Hungarian and Finnish are actually closely related.  Both in the Finno-Urgic language group, so share a lot of the same weirdness.

Gaelic and Welsh are related too, of course.

Just now, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Hungarian and Finnish are actually closely related.  Both in the Finno-Urgic language group, so share a lot of the same weirdness.

I wasn't aware that the Horde reached all that way up North.

17 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Huh, did not know that about Finnish and Hungarian. Hungarian should be a weird hybrid of the steppe languages of the Tatars/Cumans maybe even Mongols (same with Bulgarian I guess) and Slavic languages.

When you think about it, it's pretty remarkable how far reaching the Vikings were for Norse warriors in an inhospitable land. They formed the Varangian guard in the Eastern Roman Empire who the Emperor trusted more than his own men. Then, of course, Normandy was a part of France given to the Vikings under the leadership of Rollo, who then produced one of the founding members of the royal English bloodline in William the Conqueror who is a direct descendant of the British Royals TODAY. Normans were so successful that they required expansion and Roger I was able to conquer Sicily with his son Roger II taking over the Kingdom of Sicily, where, in place of squabbling Greek Christians, Arab Muslims and Catholic Italians, he unified the island and reigned with virtually no conflict between the various groups and ethnicities.

Viking blood is everywhere. Such an underrated civilization.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
50 minutes ago, GG1 said:

I wasn't aware that the Horde reached all that way up North.

Not sure they did.  It's always been weird to me, how closely Finnish is related to Hungarian and some of the steppe languages, and not related to Nordic, Slavic, or Baltic languages.  Finnish just seems like this weird geographical outlier, and I've never seen a satisfactory explanation for how "they" got "there."

And it's not terribly closely related, mind you - not like Spanish and Italian.  But close enough that you can see the common word roots pretty easily.

19 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Not sure they did.  It's always been weird to me, how closely Finnish is related to Hungarian and some of the steppe languages, and not related to Nordic, Slavic, or Baltic languages.  Finnish just seems like this weird geographical outlier, and I've never seen a satisfactory explanation for how "they" got "there."

And it's not terribly closely related, mind you - not like Spanish and Italian.  But close enough that you can see the common word roots pretty easily.

Best guess is some of the weirdo horde clans took the wrong turn to the right

Crap Throwing Clavin
25 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Best guess is some of the weirdo horde clans took the wrong turn to the right

They should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque.  

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Is that anything like, taking a trip and never leaving the farm? :classic_laugh: