Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 Sabres Offseason

ComradeKayAdams

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Sabres knew McCabe was leaving.  His girlfriend & his heart are in Chicago.  Adams was bemoaning his being injured last year as he would've been traded had he been healthy.  The 2nd part was unstated, but pretty obvious as to be the reason he was bummed about the duration of the recovery from injury.

They wanted to keep Ullmark as the starter and told people they expected he'd sign.  Seems they were very far apart on term so don't understand why they expected they had a deal in place.  That news that he's a Bruin was crushing.

So disappointed w/ this off-season.  This bad movie just keeps going.

I am not crushed, yet i am the eternal optimist. 

Or quite sure what this Eichel  statement was about. 

1) gets medical info out in the open that he can get the surgery and still be ready by opening night?

2) Sabres agreed to surgery ?

3) piss the Sabres fans off enough KA will take anything back?

4)presssure KA by realistically saying ain’t no damn way Jack playing one second in a Sabre sweater ever again?

So weird on a late Friday night to release that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am not crushed, yet i am the eternal optimist. 

Or quite sure what this Eichel  statement was about. 

1) gets medical info out in the open that he can get the surgery and still be ready by opening night?

2) Sabres agreed to surgery ?

3) piss the Sabres fans off enough KA will take anything back?

4)presssure KA by realistically saying ain’t no damn way Jack playing one second in a Sabre sweater ever again?

So weird on a late Friday night to release that. 

Would seem to be an attempt to get his client out of Dodge.

Would also seem to be handing the PR battle in the eyes of the Sabres fans to Adams.  When Adams trades him, he needs to get a semblance of fair value for him & not make the sort of deal his predecessor made punting O'Reilly nor that he made punting Hall & Reinhart.

This would, on a cursory level, seem to be setting up to place him on BF-LTIR to start the season.  If so, would not be surprised to find the Sabres have an insurance policy that will kick in after 20 or so games.  So, in a season the Sabres brass wants to be bad & spend as little cash as possible while attaining that goal, they might have gotten a huge boost towards both misguided goals.

Said this summer was going to stink.  Boy does it ever. 

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would seem to be an attempt to get his client out of Dodge.

Would also seem to be handing the PR battle in the eyes of the Sabres fans to Adams.  When Adams trades him, he needs to get a semblance of fair value for him & not make the sort of deal his predecessor made punting O'Reilly nor that he made punting Hall & Reinhart.

This would, on a cursory level, seem to be setting up to place him on BF-LTIR to start the season.  If so, would not be surprised to find the Sabres have an insurance policy that will kick in after 20 or so games.  So, in a season the Sabres brass wants to be bad & spend as little cash as possible while attaining that goal, they might have gotten a huge boost towards both misguided goals.

Said this summer was going to stink.  Boy does it ever. 

What’s interesting is I think I read this is one of the seasons salary was paid mostly as a bonus, so thinks that is happening today or maybe tomorrow? Wonder if GMs thought TPEGs would force a trade before cash was spent and maybe that is why return has not been great so far,,, will research in a few. 

BTW, just listened the new 31 thoughts with the doc advocating for the artificial replacement surgery, pretty compelling stuff. Highly recommend a listen. Highly doubt its a coninkydink the letter and pod come out same day, but must say my mind has changed a bit on course of action. 

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

What’s interesting is I think I read this is one of the seasons salary was paid mostly as a bonus, so thinks that is happening today or maybe tomorrow? Wonder if GMs thought TPEGs would force a trade before cash was spent and maybe that is why return has not been great so far,,, will research in a few. 

BTW, just listened the new 31 thoughts with the doc advocating for the artificial replacement surgery, pretty compelling stuff. Highly recommend a listen. Highly doubt its a coninkydink the letter and pod come out same day, but must say my mind has changed a bit on course of action. 

Haven't had a chance to hear the pod cast.  So haven't heard the doctor that's advocating for the surgery case.  But having 1st hand experience with a fully credential medical practitioner advocating for elective surgery which after being performed turned a minor issue into a major one will ALWAYS view with a skeptical eye the advice of someone with a large financial incentive advocating for surgery when that is a fairly lonely voice.

If he really does need surgery, expect the disc replacement will be better than the fusion surgery.  But there seem to be enough doctors advocating against surgery that am nowhere near convinced that is the right course.

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

PS - Next season ('22-'23) is the remaining year of his contract w/ a signing bonus ($7.5MM) not this season.  That is also the year his NMC takes effect.  Though he may not get traded prior to this season, barring a major reconciliation there is a 99% chance he is elsewhere by June 30 at the latest.

• Like 1

4merper4mer
On 7/30/2021 at 3:32 PM, snafu said:

Yep.

Captain isn't necessarily the best player on the team.

Now that Eichel is probably gone, Reinhart is gone, and Risto is gone, the Sabres will probably slap the "C" on Dahlin -- which would be insane.

Although on the ice he is one of the least effective Sabres, knowing what I know….which isn’t enough, I’d give the C to Okposo.

4merper4mer
On 7/30/2021 at 1:23 PM, Alaska Darin said:

Eichel wasn't setup for success from the beginning and it's only gotten worse.  Crosby was surrounded by Hall of Famers from his very first game and the Penguins did a great job augmenting the roster VERY quickly.

Guys on the Pens' roster Sid's first season:  Mario, Palffy, Recchi, LeClair, Odelein, Gonchar. 

By his third season they'd added Sykora, Malkin, Staal, Whitney, Letang, Roberts, and Hossa.  While Crosby led the team in points in the playoffs on the way to his first Cup, he was tied with 3 other guys on the roster for playoff goals. 

Eichel is basically JP Losman.  Who knows what coulda been if the Sabres had been even remotely competent at building the roster around him.  Instead they just anointed him savior and proceeded to do one dumbass thing after another.

There are a lot of good points in the above but Eichel is not blameless.  Losman seemed to try.  Eichel seems to have the good old Mass Hole personality.  I stress “seems” for both because we don’t really see enough.  This crap with the surgery is more see through than 99% of windows.

4 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Good.  There's no reason to have next season be his first year.  He'll be much better off in college.

Absolutely.

And, as an aside, this is an announcement shocking not a single person.  He'll be a Sabre in a March or April unless his college year gets completely fubar'd.  Hopefully he only gets at most 9 games so he doesn't burn a year towards UFA status.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Sad that he'll never get to announce a Sabres Stanley Cup victory.  But glad he's leaving while he's still a decent pbp guy.  Was afraid he'd follow Van Miller's footsteps going from HoF quality to a characature of himself at the end.

The team won't ever replace his excitement level.  He was best when he was radio-only years and years ago.

I've said it before that once he moved to TV, they needed a radio-only replacement.  Simulcasting the TV broadcast on radio is absolutely useless and reflects a cheapness in the team.

• Like 3