Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the announcers in the NFL?

Ann

• 2 weeks later...

He just wants to get away from Collinsworth.  😜

ESPN considering Al Michaels pursuit with Amazon closing in

ESPN is contemplating a pursuit of legendary play-by-player Al Michaels for “Monday Night Football,” The Post has learned. 

No final decision on whether to fully engage Michaels has been made, according to sources.

ESPN declined comment. 

The potential interest in returning Michaels, 77, to his TV football home — he was the longtime voice of MNF — comes as Michaels is deep into negotiations with Amazon Prime Video about becoming the main voice of its exclusive “Thursday Night Football” package that begins next fall, according to sources. 

While Michaels’ negotiations have progressed with Amazon, there are still questions on whom Michaels would partner with at the streaming platform. That is to say the official’s arms have not been raised to the sky yet.

Meanwhile, ESPN’s “Monday Night Football” is on the verge of something of a renaissance as in its new 11-year deal, it will add six ABC games and two Super Bowls. Its schedule is expected to remain very strong, as it soon adds some late-season flex games. Its expansion in games will necessitate needing an extra broadcast team.

ESPN is satisfied with its current No. 1 crew of Steve Levy, Brian Griese and Louis Riddick Jr. and was ecstatic over the reception of the Manningcast alternative broadcast this season. The network doesn’t feel like it is imperative to go after Michaels, but it remains intrigued.

</snip>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazon eyeing ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit as its top NFL analyst

In its search for its “Thursday Night Football” analyst, Amazon has looked for big names, trying to lure Troy Aikman, Sean McVay and John Lynch into the booth when it begins its exclusive coverage this fall.

It failed to land any of them.

Aikman left Fox for ESPN and $90-plus million, McVay stayed with the Rams, forgoing a potential $100 million offer, while Lynch quickly shut down talks after one dinner, choosing to remain as the 49ers’ GM.

Now, The Post has learned, Amazon is eyeing the biggest analyst in college football, ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit, for its lead NFL Thursday night game analyst spot.

Herbstreit is the analyst ESPN’s iconic College GameDay show revolves around and he is the network’s No. 1 college game analyst, including calling the national championship.

</snip>

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:42 PM, Ann said:

He just wants to get away from Collinsworth.  😜

ESPN considering Al Michaels pursuit with Amazon closing in

ESPN is contemplating a pursuit of legendary play-by-player Al Michaels for “Monday Night Football,” The Post has learned. 

No final decision on whether to fully engage Michaels has been made, according to sources.

ESPN declined comment. 

The potential interest in returning Michaels, 77, to his TV football home — he was the longtime voice of MNF — comes as Michaels is deep into negotiations with Amazon Prime Video about becoming the main voice of its exclusive “Thursday Night Football” package that begins next fall, according to sources. 

While Michaels’ negotiations have progressed with Amazon, there are still questions on whom Michaels would partner with at the streaming platform. That is to say the official’s arms have not been raised to the sky yet.

Meanwhile, ESPN’s “Monday Night Football” is on the verge of something of a renaissance as in its new 11-year deal, it will add six ABC games and two Super Bowls. Its schedule is expected to remain very strong, as it soon adds some late-season flex games. Its expansion in games will necessitate needing an extra broadcast team.

ESPN is satisfied with its current No. 1 crew of Steve Levy, Brian Griese and Louis Riddick Jr. and was ecstatic over the reception of the Manningcast alternative broadcast this season. The network doesn’t feel like it is imperative to go after Michaels, but it remains intrigued.

</snip>

paying multi-millions to talking heads is not going to save crap games

who watches the game because of the announcers?

with all the remote tech-

they should let watchers send in their play calls to the network

with announcers citing the most accurate

guest spot on the Manning cast

maybe convincing people to not turn the sounds down is enough for the advertisers

From Peter King:

Herbstreit to the NFL

I heard last night that Amazon—spurned by Troy Aikman, Sean McVay and John Lynch—has settled on ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit to be the analyst on its Thursday night package of NFL games starting this fall. (He’s likely to continue his current ESPN/ABC duties as well.) Andrew Marchand of the New York Post was first to connect the Amazon-Herbstreit dots on Feb. 27.

My first reaction: It seems weird. Amazon would rather have a very good college football analyst who’s never had a regular NFL job do the games than, say, Drew Brees or Sean Payton or Kurt Warner? My second reaction: Herbstreit’s a pro, he’s a big name to legions of college football fans, he must really want to break the college-to-NFL glass ceiling, Amazon surely wanted to make a splash with this hire, and Herbstreit’s a non-status-quo guy. He’s different. It’s a little edgy, a little risky. All that, just my educated guess.

We’re still awaiting decision from two of the great play-by-play people of our lives, Al Michaels and Joe Buck, on their 2022 homes. But when you stream Amazon this fall to watch the Thursday night package, you’ll be hearing a new NFL voice, Kirk Herbstreit, interpret the games.

Seasons1992

I hope KH doesn't get the job. I have a friend who works in TV production and tells me the background on all of those people. Some are great, he is not. By a lot.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:15 PM, Seasons1992 said:

I hope KH doesn't get the job. I have a friend who works in TV production and tells me the background on all of those people. Some are great, he is not. By a lot.

What's the biggest issue with Herbstreit?  He seems like a nice enough guy, but some of that could be a facade.

17 hours ago, Core Four said:

ESPN is sinking A TON of money into MNF.  Joe and Troy plus the Manningcast.  Seems a little over the top to me, especially for a network that recently unloaded a number of long time personalities and is (or at least was) on shaky ground financially.

Hopefully ESPN's renewed commitment to MNF includes more game coverage and less Narrative.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, devnull said:

Hopefully ESPN's renewed commitment to MNF includes more game coverage and less Narrative.

I personally didn't mind the crew on MNF this past season.  I also didn't mind Booger McFarland, though some people couldn't stand him.  Joe and Troy used to be a lot more enjoyable to listen to a few years back, they've become kind of annoying as of late, but maybe it's just me.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 10:36 PM, Ann said:

ESPN will expand ‘Manningcast’ concept to more sports with new deal

The Mannings also added a year to their existing three-year pact, meaning the brothers will be doing the “Manningcast” for ESPN through at least the 2024 NFL season.

I'm sure I'm probably in the minority here but... The Manningcast did nothing for me. Was it better than Levy and crew, probably but...  

Seasons1992
22 hours ago, Core Four said:

What's the biggest issue with Herbstreit?  He seems like a nice enough guy, but some of that could be a facade.

It is apparently 100% facade with him.

Alaska Darin
21 hours ago, Core Four said:

I personally didn't mind the crew on MNF this past season.  I also didn't mind Booger McFarland, though some people couldn't stand him.  Joe and Troy used to be a lot more enjoyable to listen to a few years back, they've become kind of annoying as of late, but maybe it's just me.

I know a lot of people don't like Buck but he's fine by me - I think it's a "familiarity breeds contempt" kinda thing.  Aikman sucks and always has.  There is exponentially better color commentary going on in my house, even when I'm watching by myself and just telling Aikman how wrong he is about most of his "analysis."

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

RochesterRob
20 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I know a lot of people don't like Buck but he's fine by me - I think it's a "familiarity breeds contempt" kinda thing.  Aikman sucks and always has.  There is exponentially better color commentary going on in my house, even when I'm watching by myself and just telling Aikman how wrong he is about most of his "analysis."

Aikman needs to do the inevitable which is go radio where the lack of physical presence forces a person to raise their game in terms of presentation.  Preferably gets assigned to all the Cowboys games which would enhance things for their fans.  

• Like 1