Round 2: #60 S - Cole Bishop, Utah
    Round 3: #95 DT - DeWayne Carter, Duke
    Round 4: #128 C/G - Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia
    Round 5: #144        
    Round 5: #160        
    Round 5: #163        
    Round 6: #204        
    Round 7: #221        

What do you think of the announcers in the NFL?

Ann

On 4/5/2022 at 10:17 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Seriously.  I was thinking that roughly 80% of Schefter's job could be done by a competently-written Twitter bot.

If a Twitter bot can realistically mimic the President of the United States, I don't see why one couldn't be an NFL talking head

• Applause 2

Keukasmallie

No opinion of the announcers as the music and/or crowd noise are usually piped in so loud one can't hear them.

Edited by Keukasmallie
damn spelling error

• 2 weeks later...
Alaska Darin

Couldn't really find a place to put this...but close enough.  I don't anything on ESPN except live sports but it's nice that a BILLS' fan works there.

• Like 1

Well ESPN has gotten credibility with Buck and Aikman despite dislike over the former and not really the latter.

• 2 weeks later...

Drew Brees done at NBC after one season as NFL analyst

One and done.

Legendary NFL quarterback Drew Brees will not return to NBC after just one season as a studio and game analyst, according to sources.

The decision seemed mutual as Brees preferred doing games over the “Football Night in America” studio show, and NBC didn’t have many NFL games to offer him. NBC soured on Brees’ potential after originally believing he could develop into the heir apparent to Cris Collinsworth on “Sunday Night Football” games.

</snip>

• Angry 1

13 hours ago, Ann said:

Drew Brees done at NBC after one season as NFL analyst

One and done.

Legendary NFL quarterback Drew Brees will not return to NBC after just one season as a studio and game analyst, according to sources.

The decision seemed mutual as Brees preferred doing games over the “Football Night in America” studio show, and NBC didn’t have many NFL games to offer him. NBC soured on Brees’ potential after originally believing he could develop into the heir apparent to Cris Collinsworth on “Sunday Night Football” games.

</snip>

I'm looking forward to a similar statement from Fox after a year or two of Brady

Arm of Harm
On 4/1/2022 at 5:26 AM, Ann said:

Who praises Cris Collinsworth!? :classic_blink:

Greg Gumbel has got some HOT takes, who knew?
He was on a podcast recently and let his opinions fly about the sports broadcasting industry

</snip>

ESPN needs to have a Greg Gumbel day on First Take, because it appears that this man has been simmering with hot takes for years. He recently appeared on Sports Illustrated’s Jimmy Traina’s SI Media Podcast and let it fly about how he feels about the recent contracts that NFL broadcasters have received.

“I will tell you, it has gotten crazy. I don’t have any need to be jealous of it. I’ve been treated really nicely and have always been appreciative of what I’ve been able to do for a long, long time. So I think that doesn’t apply to me.” Gumbel said to Traina. “What does tickle my thought process is, I’ve never felt in my entire life there is an announcer who can bring someone to the TV set to watch a game that that viewer wasn't already going to watch. And I believe the only thing a broadcaster can do is chase people away.”

Gumbel goes on to say that for all of the praise that Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth get for the job that they did with Sunday Night Football, they have an advantage because, “they do the best game of the week.” He even went on to say that “Moe, Larry, and Curly can do a good football game.” If you’re not hearing Gumbel’s voice in your head while reading these quotes, you’re doing this all wrong.

</snip>

“I know this for a fact because—I won’t name them—but there are three or four announcers, ‘Oh, I’m really interested in watching, oops, nope, click, gone.’” Gumbel said to Traina. “I truly believe that. I don’t think that someone is tuning in just to hear a particular person call a football game.

</snip>

It was a Friday night. I was driving through southern Georgia and southern Alabama so that I could attend my cousin’s wedding the next morning. I turned on the radio. My two choices were high school football or country music. So, football. Obviously. 

There were two men calling the game. One had a good radio voice. The other sounded like a hick. My first thought was, There are plenty of hicks in these parts. They chose Hick so that the hicks could have one of their own in the radio broadcast. They chose Radio Voice so that the broadcast would seem polished and professional. 

Radio Voice produced a level of analysis that would be fairly normal for a television football person. That was not true of Hick. Hick was seeing things at a way deeper level than Radio Voice. He was among the most insightful football people I’d ever encountered. 

Hick will never be a television football announcer. You can be an announcer if you sound like you have marbles in your mouth, or if you’re unable to pronounce the word “Bills.” You cannot be an NFL announcer if you sound like a hick. And yet, if Hick were to be an NFL announcer, the quality of his analysis is such that it could get me to watch a game I otherwise wouldn’t have watched. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Ann said:

Fitz's apparel choices should be must-see-TV

fitz.jpg.90b998351cf03c2acafbc80ba2cba9e5.jpg

I'll tune in just to see the birds nesting in his magnificent beard.

Also: after last night, I want to hear Charles Barkley on MNF.

• Like 2

Billsandhorns
6 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I'll tune in just to see the birds nesting in his magnificent beard.

He would be an improvement on the current team 

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
9 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

He would be an improvement on the current team 

A mute would be an improvement on the current team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Manningcast is good, but compared to the MNF crew it is scrumpdillyicious with a cherry on top. I hope Manningcast is on more frequently this year. 

Billsandhorns
4 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

No lies detected 

Seasons1992
21 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

"Knuckleheads!"

On 6/3/2022 at 10:20 AM, Ann said:

Manningcast is good, but compared to the MNF crew it is scrumpdillyicious with a cherry on top. I hope Manningcast is on more frequently this year. 

Or how about....

FitzManningCast

• Like 1

Drew Brees is officially done at NBC Sports after one year.

NBC Sports chairman Pete Bevacqua said in a phone interview with The Associated Press that Brees will not be a part of the network's NFL and Notre Dame coverage this year. The New York Post reported last month that the former quarterback would not be coming back as a studio or game analyst.

</snip>

Bevacqua said conversations with Brees have centered around him wanting to spend more time with family.

“The unbelievable busyness of an NFL career and then really not taking a break at all and launching right in with us with both Notre Dame football and the NFL, it was certainly an around-the-clock assignment,” Bevacqua said. “This was definitely a lifestyle choice for him, which is totally understandable.”

Brees signed a multi-year contract with NBC in 2020, before he completed a 20-year NFL career with the San Diego Chargers and New Orleans Saints as the record holder in passing yards and touchdowns. He was an analyst for Notre Dame games with Mike Tirico and was in the studio most Sundays for “Football Night in America.” 

</snip>

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Ann said:

Drew Brees is officially done at NBC Sports after one year.

NBC Sports chairman Pete Bevacqua said in a phone interview with The Associated Press that Brees will not be a part of the network's NFL and Notre Dame coverage this year. The New York Post reported last month that the former quarterback would not be coming back as a studio or game analyst.

</snip>

Bevacqua said conversations with Brees have centered around him wanting to spend more time with family.

“The unbelievable busyness of an NFL career and then really not taking a break at all and launching right in with us with both Notre Dame football and the NFL, it was certainly an around-the-clock assignment,” Bevacqua said. “This was definitely a lifestyle choice for him, which is totally understandable.”

Brees signed a multi-year contract with NBC in 2020, before he completed a 20-year NFL career with the San Diego Chargers and New Orleans Saints as the record holder in passing yards and touchdowns. He was an analyst for Notre Dame games with Mike Tirico and was in the studio most Sundays for “Football Night in America.” 

</snip>

Somewhere in a quiet room Joe Delamielleure smiles.