Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the announcers in the NFL?

Ann

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Ann said:

Tirico and Collinsworthless.  Be still my beating heart. 

Seriously.  Be still.  Just...stop beating.  Kill me now.

• Haha 4

Who praises Cris Collinsworth!? :classic_blink:

Greg Gumbel has got some HOT takes, who knew?
He was on a podcast recently and let his opinions fly about the sports broadcasting industry

</snip>

ESPN needs to have a Greg Gumbel day on First Take, because it appears that this man has been simmering with hot takes for years. He recently appeared on Sports Illustrated’s Jimmy Traina’s SI Media Podcast and let it fly about how he feels about the recent contracts that NFL broadcasters have received.

“I will tell you, it has gotten crazy. I don’t have any need to be jealous of it. I’ve been treated really nicely and have always been appreciative of what I’ve been able to do for a long, long time. So I think that doesn’t apply to me.” Gumbel said to Traina. “What does tickle my thought process is, I’ve never felt in my entire life there is an announcer who can bring someone to the TV set to watch a game that that viewer wasn't already going to watch. And I believe the only thing a broadcaster can do is chase people away.”

Gumbel goes on to say that for all of the praise that Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth get for the job that they did with Sunday Night Football, they have an advantage because, “they do the best game of the week.” He even went on to say that “Moe, Larry, and Curly can do a good football game.” If you’re not hearing Gumbel’s voice in your head while reading these quotes, you’re doing this all wrong.

</snip>

“I know this for a fact because—I won’t name them—but there are three or four announcers, ‘Oh, I’m really interested in watching, oops, nope, click, gone.’” Gumbel said to Traina. “I truly believe that. I don’t think that someone is tuning in just to hear a particular person call a football game.

</snip>

• Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, Ann said:

Gumbel goes on to say that for all of the praise that Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth get for the job that they did with Sunday Night Football, they have an advantage because, “they do the best game of the week.”

One might say that their advantage is because they are the only game on in that time slot.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 2

Alaska Darin
On 4/1/2022 at 9:38 AM, Foxx said:

One might say that their advantage is because they are the only game on in that time slot.

Michaels is still ok...but Collingsworth has never been any good.  It's amazing that Networks aren't looking at recently retired players to try to find the next Tony Romo.  They'd save a ton of jack and improve the product measurably.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Michaels is still ok...but Collingsworth has never been any good.  It's amazing that Networks aren't looking at recently retired players to try to find the next Tony Romo.  They'd save a ton of jack and improve the product measurably.

The NFL Network has quite a few. GMF is a launch pad for them. 

14 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't mind Tirico but I'm not sure he will 'rescue' worthless as much as Michaels did. Many times worthless would stick his foot up his own bum and Michaels would smooth it over for him. Should be interesting to see how it works (not that I really want to listen to it mind you), maybe NBC will put him out to PFF pasture before long.

• Like 1

So a guy whose job is to speculate/spread rumors about the NFL will make more than all but a handful of NFL head coaches?  Wow.  Power of the media is a scary thing.

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
54 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

So a guy whose job is to speculate/spread rumors about the NFL will make more than all but a handful of NFL head coaches?  Wow.  Power of the media is a scary thing.

Seriously.  I was thinking that roughly 80% of Schefter's job could be done by a competently-written Twitter bot.

Alaska Darin
4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

There's a reason ESPN has had to clean house every few years and start over. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

To paraphrase a Jason Robards character, Cris Collinsworth is like your Aunt Edna's ass. It goes on forever and it's just as scary.

• Angry 1

On 4/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, Alaska Darin said:

surprised not being mandated to hire the token woman minority

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

surprised not being mandated to hire the token woman minority

Rest assured, it's coming - though for the money they'd make I'd be willing to pretend to be transgendered so I could check all the woke boxes. 

Winning!

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Rest assured, it's coming - though for the money they'd make I'd be willing to pretend to be transgendered so I could check all the woke boxes. 

Winning!

Do you realize that all those woke boxes you are checking out may not actually be boxes yet?