Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Extreme Weather

Foxx

Winter storm death toll rises to 25 in the Buffalo, New York, area as residents remain trapped under feet of snow

At least 25 people have died in Erie County, New York, as a result of a massive winter storm which blasted much of the US in recent days, county officials said Monday, bringing the nationwide death toll to 47.

</snip>

1 hour ago, Ann said:

That's a lotta snow.  People have to be hoping the lake will freeze soon. Although, it is supposed to be back in the 40s later this week, so maybe not.

lot.jpg.6b5512d2671be82d2e134d468e8c4499.jpg

Hamburg always seems to get walloped.  They got it from that south towns storm and now they’re getting it from this north towns storm. It must truly seem like paradise in the summer when people are out shopping for a house.

8 minutes ago, snafu said:

Hamburg always seems to get walloped.  They got it from that south towns storm and now they’re getting it from this north towns storm. It must truly seem like paradise in the summer when people are out shopping for a house.

I have a friend that lives on the lake in Hamburg. Her view is glorious.  And yes, she gets walloped on every storm that comes through in the winter be it ice and/or snow.

I looked for better photos, but these are all I could find. I don't usually take photos at friend's houses, but she had a decent sized beach at that time, which is not really usual.  These do not do justice to her view.

111.thumb.jpg.696c07005dd83758a06b65102c404c9d.jpg

222.thumb.jpg.350a6afdb865d648a7f51ba0b1071094.jpg

333.thumb.jpg.1fa73fc6afb4aaf7276a864bd3de2a0a.jpg

• Cheers 2

They Traveled From South Korea. They Got Stranded Near Buffalo.

Alexander Campagna and his wife, Andrea, lifelong residents of Buffalo, New York, were ready to wait the blizzard out. They had stocked the fridge and planned for a quiet holiday weekend indoors at their home in suburban Williamsville, as long as the power stayed on.

Then, on Friday at 2 p.m., with the storm already swirling and snow rapidly piling up, making roads impassable, there was a knock at the door. Two men, part of a group of nine tourists from South Korea that was traveling to Niagara Falls, asked for shovels to dig their passenger van out of a ditch.

And so an unlikely holiday weekend began, with the Campagnas welcoming the travelers, along with their driver, as house guests. They became “accidental innkeepers,” said Alexander Campagna, a 40-year-old dentist.

Before leaving Friday morning from Washington, D.C., the tour participants, most of them from Seoul, seemed unaware of the worrisome forecast, said Yoseb Choi, 27, who is from Pyeongtaek. He was traveling with his wife, Claire, on the tour, which they had booked for their honeymoon.

A day earlier, he had grown concerned after receiving messages from friends alerting him to the coming storm. On Friday, the van ride was slippery and windy, and the passengers had become anxious, he said.

Then, after hours of watching the weather deteriorate outside the van’s windows, they ended up stranded near the Campagna house, Choi said.

</snip>

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

1. Walmart does not have a store in Buffalo.

2. That video is purportedly  from the BLM “protests” in Philly in 2020🤷‍♀️

3. Looked at that person’s Two tiktok accounts (Second one) from the watermark and cannot find it. Removed for misinformation?

I have never understood how the city of Buffalo does such a shitty job plowing. I get that there are abandoned cars, and the West Side and Riverside have streets with both side parking and the plow can barely make it down the middle, but the main streets and secondary streets should be plowed and opened at this point.

• Angry 1
  • Wow 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 hours ago, Ann said:

Looks like they are just waiting for it to melt. 40 tomorrow, temperature climbs higher after that. 

nuts.jpg.35ebc8fc931db2f4c61d7de63cc0f7a6.jpg

Because flooding will make it so much better.

Actually, it won't melt very quickly either.  Heat transfer is a function of surface area, so it's just too deep to melt.  But at this point, I don't see where they have a choice either.

And can't dump it in the lake.  Has salt in it.

Crap Throwing Clavin

I want to know where on the Kensington this is.  'Cause if it's where the Kensington has walls anyway, this isn't as impressive.

30 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Because flooding will make it so much better.

Actually, it won't melt very quickly either.  Heat transfer is a function of surface area, so it's just too deep to melt.  But at this point, I don't see where they have a choice either.

And can't dump it in the lake.  Has salt in it.

I doubt there is much salt in the streets at the moment. 

I spoke to my niece this morning. She has some er, in, at the mayor's office. Her view is skewed (of course) but some of the stuff that is going on is insane. Looting and then BURNING the building afterwards!? WTF are people thinking? (Covering up the crime maybe?) This ended up changing some of the plowing plan due to having to get the police and fire to these building.  She got miffed when I said they were just waiting for the snow to melt. 

Every time they found a body the finder has to stay with the body, wait for the (more) plows, wait for the police, wait for the coroner. That took anyone working emergency personnel or plow drivers that found the body (along with their equipment) out of commission for hours. 

Main and secondary streets are plowed. The side streets are mainly impassible. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
35 minutes ago, Ann said:

I doubt there is much salt in the streets at the moment. 

There's enough.  State environmental authorities basically consider any amount of road salt unacceptable for dumping into the waterways.

They can make exceptions, though - they did in 2002, after testing the salt levels.  I can't find anything that specifies the limit, though, and I think it may have been lowered in 2017 again.

The amount of crime I'm watching happen in  Buffalo is absolutely incredible. 

The looting is off the scales, and now people are just stealing abandoned cars.

Nice community you've created there, leftists.