Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Extreme Weather

Foxx

Crap Throwing Clavin
29 minutes ago, Ann said:

I must have a mental block on 2001. I recall it being bad, but not that bad.

I do remember 95.  I think it was closer to 40" in Clarence.  Deep enough to lose a kindergartener in.  That was pretty wild.

• Haha 2

ExiledInIllinois
35 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I do remember 95.  I think it was closer to 40" in Clarence.  Deep enough to lose a kindergartener in.  That was pretty wild.

Not totally off the mark here. History has the 1888 "Schoolhouse Blizzard."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoolhouse_Blizzard

"What made the storm so deadly was the timing (during work and school hours), the suddenness of the storm, and the brief spell of warmer weather that preceded it. In addition, the very strong wind fields behind the cold front and the powdery nature of the snow reduced visibilities on the open plains to zero. People ventured from the safety of their homes to do chores, go to town, attend school, or simply enjoy the relative warmth of the day. As a result, thousands of people—including many schoolchildren—got caught in the blizzard. The death toll was 235, though some estimate 1000.  Teachers generally kept children in their schoolrooms. Exceptions nearly always resulted in disaster. ..."

• Sad 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not totally off the mark here. History has the 1888 "Schoolhouse Blizzard."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoolhouse_Blizzard

"What made the storm so deadly was the timing (during work and school hours), the suddenness of the storm, and the brief spell of warmer weather that preceded it. In addition, the very strong wind fields behind the cold front and the powdery nature of the snow reduced visibilities on the open plains to zero. People ventured from the safety of their homes to do chores, go to town, attend school, or simply enjoy the relative warmth of the day. As a result, thousands of people—including many schoolchildren—got caught in the blizzard. The death toll was 235, though some estimate 1000.  Teachers generally kept children in their schoolrooms. Exceptions nearly always resulted in disaster. ..."

In '95, I'm referring to when the neighbors and I were out shoveling, and their kids were outside playing.  It wasn't bad out, just a hell of a lot of snow.  We actually couldn't find their youngest for a minute, because the snow was over her head.  "Melissa?  Melissa?  Wave your hand."  See this little pink glove peek up above the snow.  

The '88 blizzard sounds like one of the blizzards covered in Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter.  

• Wow 1

ExiledInIllinois
32 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

In '95, I'm referring to when the neighbors and I were out shoveling, and their kids were outside playing.  It wasn't bad out, just a hell of a lot of snow.  We actually couldn't find their youngest for a minute, because the snow was over her head.  "Melissa?  Melissa?  Wave your hand."  See this little pink glove peek up above the snow.  

The '88 blizzard sounds like one of the blizzards covered in Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter.  

Yeah. Two in 1888. One on plains in January 1888. The elites on the coast in NYC were playing down the event... "Like that could never happen to us... We're so sophisticated on the East Coast... We can handle Mother Nature... Yada Yada yada..."

Guess what happened in March of 1888? Karma is a muthafugger! 😆 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1888

Ooops. Sorry for speaking trash towards our pioneer citizens!  😏 

AnyWAY... Silver lining, that event during the Gilded Age got places like NYC off the snide with starting to bury stuff underground... 

Crap Throwing Clavin
24 minutes ago, Ann said:

@Wacka posted this video in chat

One thing this storm had that '77 didn't: a 7-9 foot storm surge on the lakefront.  

Talked to my father, he said the lakefront is just devastated.

1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

One thing this storm had that '77 didn't: a 7-9 foot storm surge on the lakefront.  

Talked to my father, he said the lakefront is just devastated.

The photos in this Facebook reel are horrible.