Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Extreme Weather

Foxx

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Ann said:

Wow

He takes responsibility? He was in a news conference the other day blaming the people for not staying home, and then the mayor for not cleaning up:

A driving ban that people are still ignoring anyway.

At some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions, and not blame the government.

• Applause 2
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

A driving ban that people are still ignoring anyway.

At some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions, and not blame the government.

I agree with this. They predicted this storm for a week. Maybe it was past weathermen crying wolf that had people ignoring the severity? Maybe it was fast moving? Maybe people aren't very bright? Maybe circumstances really were dire for those people to be out driving? But ultimately, it is personal responsibility.

23 minutes ago, Ann said:

I agree with this. They predicted this storm for a week. Maybe it was past weathermen crying wolf that had people ignoring the severity? Maybe it was fast moving? Maybe people aren't very bright? Maybe circumstances really were dire for those people to be out driving? But ultimately, it is personal responsibility.

You just mentioned a few of the key reasons why not putting the city on lockdown far enough ahead of the storm killed people.

Edited by Figster

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

You just mentioned a few of the key reasons why not putting the city on lockdown far enough ahead of the storm it killed people.

Not very bright people will not listen regardless. 

My son's next door neighbor decided he needed to go out Christmas Day (there was a travel ban in Buffalo that day). He left his vehicle at the end of their street when he got stuck. That meant no plows could get down the street.  My son's street is very wide and can easily fit three vehicles abreast (one parked, one each way driving) but the plows had to wait to plow his street until that guy's vehicle was towed away.

No matter what was driving ban was imposed when, people gotta people.

While I give the city of Buffalo grief for their plowing (I think they do an all around horrible job), stuck vehicles everywhere definitely hindered the plow trucks this storm.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ann said:

Not very bright people will not listen regardless. 

My son's next door neighbor decided he needed to go out Christmas Day (there was a travel ban in Buffalo that day). He left his vehicle at the end of their street when he got stuck. That meant no plows could get down the street.  My son's street is very wide and can easily fit three vehicles abreast (one parked, one each way driving) but the plows had to wait to plow his street until that guy's vehicle was towed away.

No matter what was driving ban was imposed when, people gotta people.

While I give the city of Buffalo grief for their plowing (I think they do an all around horrible job), stuck vehicles everywhere definitely hindered the plow trucks this storm.

So you fine these kind and generous folks $ 1,000 each to help the city with possible jail time. Provided your way to late travel ban didn't put them there in the 1st place.

Edited by Figster

10 minutes ago, Figster said:

So you fine these kind and generous folks $ 1,000 each to help the city with possible jail time. Provided your way to late travel ban didn't put them there in the 1st place.

Not at all.  

12 minutes ago, Ann said:

Not at all.  

I'm not sure what you mean.

On a side note my aunt in Buffalo had what was thought to be a heart attack during the Bills game. The under 10 minute response time she received was amazing. My heart felt thanks and gratitude goes out to the emergency responders that braved the dangerous weather conditions to help her.

I'm happy to report my Auntie is back home now and doing well.

Edited by Figster
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 3

ExiledInIllinois
1 hour ago, Ann said:

Agree... My 86 year old MiL who lives alone drove herself on Tuesday to Tops preparing. She doesn't use the internet.  Just TV and the that BFLo News rag...

...Somehow she got the memo. 

• Like 2

ExiledInIllinois
39 minutes ago, Figster said:

Yeah... Make then work it off. Shovel snow.

But that would take three bureaucrats behind a desk to manage one scofflaw.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Agree... My 86 year old MiL who lives alone drove herself on Tuesday to Tops preparing. She doesn't use the internet.  Just TV and the that BFLo News rag...

...Somehow she got the memo. 

The timing of the storm put lower income last minute Christmas shoppers in a tough situation in my humble opinion. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ann said:

The initial reports were making it sound like the storm would hit Friday night, not Friday morning.

If not for a frantic phone call from my parents Thursday evening stating that the storm was now expected to hit Friday morning, our son would've been stuck in the city for the holiday as he'd planned to come home for the holiday Friday afternoon.  He came in Thursday night instead fortunately.

Expect a fair amount of people were in his boat of not knowing how early the storm would arrive.

• Like 2

ExiledInIllinois
On 12/29/2022 at 11:21 AM, Figster said:

The timing of the storm put lower income last minute Christmas shoppers in a tough situation in my humble opinion. 

Yeah... Good point!