Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Extreme Weather

Foxx

ExiledInIllinois
3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Yeah..  The high efficiency furnaces (+90%) don't have a chimney going to roof! I THINK most have a pvc pipe out the side of house.  That gets blocked, no bueno! 

Also...

My father inlaw was a welder for gas company. He always said to clear the regulator air vent/screen (right before meter) of anything blocking it. Like snow.  Here it is:

GasMeterRegulatorVent.jpg.c87c86840d2aad8803c109e6220ce8ff.jpg

There's a screen under there. Keep the drifts away from blocking this right by regulator... 

• Like 3

ExiledInIllinois

Here's a write up. The gas vent is actually a relief valve.  If pressure gets too high, then regulator will relieve it into the atmosphere.  BUT, needs clearance,  don't want flammable gas building up somewhere.  Like under a snowbank. 

https://www.infotecinspect.com/what-are-gas-meter-regulator-vent-clearances/

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Foxx said:

500%

Pretty much every 14 and 21 day record has been broken. Yesterday was the first day it didn't rain at all since maybe Christmas. Several days have been multi-inches of rain. Another round came through today and more coming over the weekend.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Pretty much every 14 and 21 day record has been broken. Yesterday was the first day it didn't rain at all since maybe Christmas. Several days have been multi-inches of rain. Another round came through today and more coming over the weekend.

With Cali's failed forest management, things are certainly worse than they should ought to be.

I saw that there was a portion of highway 101 in Oregon that shifted and there was no real way around it for something like 12 miles.

'Atmospheric Rivers' are a relatively new phenomenon or, at the least, the term is. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
16 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

What's the snow pack in the mountains at?

7 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

What's the snow pack in the mountains at?

>200% of average last I checked. Of course, that's the number that matters. But between the highway closures and the wind/avalanche holds, it's so much snow you can't get there to ski!

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, KD in CA said:

>200% of average last I checked. Of course, that's the number that matters. 

It surprises me how many Californians don't seem to realize that, or just how badly they're dependent on precipitation.  Reservoirs are empty, CA gets rain, Californians start screaming "It's too much rain!"

I know, flooding and mudslides.  It's also the reason you thrive in an overpopulated Mediterranean climate.  Live with it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

It surprises me how many Californians don't seem to realize that, or just how badly they're dependent on precipitation.  Reservoirs are empty, CA gets rain, Californians start screaming "It's too much rain!"

I know, flooding and mudslides.  It's also the reason you thrive in an overpopulated Mediterranean climate.  Live with it.

Exactly. We need it to keep coming. The reservoirs continue to fill all spring as the snow melts.  But saturating the ground now also allows that to happen so the runoff don't just soak into the ground.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Exactly. We need it to keep coming. The reservoirs continue to fill all spring as the snow melts.  But saturating the ground now also allows that to happen so the runoff don't just soak into the ground.

I'm sure the aquifers need repletion too.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I'm sure the aquifers need repletion too.

And the San Francisco homeless community their annual bath.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I looked at that map of rainfall amounts and don’t see a lot of benefit to the Colorado River watershed, unfortunately. At least California will get some relief.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My brother just told me about this. On that Friday evening he couldn't get home because of cars blocking the road (he is a plow driver for Erie county) .He made it to friend's house in Lovejoy neighborhood.  On Christmas  Eve, they called him back into work. He said the only way he could get in is if they sent a high-lift to get him. While waiting for them, he goes out to his friends  drive to shovel some. He hears a woman yelling and sees a woman laying in the snow a few doors down. Meanwhile  a guy come out of the house across the street (her brother). SAHe had gone out to the car to charge her phone and probably was being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes. She was conscious, but out of it. They dragged her across the street and had to drag her up the few steps at her front door and into her house.  The woman ended up being OK.

• Cheers 1

Wait till another big quake hits the SF area. There are two long lakes just south of the city that are reservoirs for their drinking water. Th ewater is piped from near Yosemite, across the state, and across three major fault lines  to these .reservoirs. They said if the pipeline gets severed, SF will have mo drilling water for at least 6 months.

ExiledInIllinois
13 hours ago, Wacka said:

Wait till another big quake hits the SF area. There are two long lakes just south of the city that are reservoirs for their drinking water. Th ewater is piped from near Yosemite, across the state, and across three major fault lines  to these .reservoirs. They said if the pipeline gets severed, SF will have mo drilling water for at least 6 months.

That's Hetch Hetchy, right? It's off limits to any recreational activities with the water directly... Minimally filtered, processed. Wasn't their some kinda referendum a few back where they wanted to restore the valley? San Fran has like a sweetheart water deal since day one. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois