Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Tidbits

MothersMilk

Deranged Rhino
4 minutes ago, SensaiFredVillari said:

I know I am fresh meat around here but does anyone else worry that Tre White is all done? He was a great player and a good boy in the locker room but I feel that secondary players dont recover from these injuries.

Not too concerned. You can never completely rule it out but sports medicine has come a long way in just the past decade. Everything is better, from the procedure to the recovery. A world class athlete should be able to return to form, and White is certainly a world class athlete. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, SensaiFredVillari said:

I know I am fresh meat around here but does anyone else worry that Tre White is all done? He was a great player and a good boy in the locker room but I feel that secondary players dont recover from these injuries.

If anybody can come back from an injury like this it is Tre White. He will put in the work to rehab. 

That said I can't predict the future. 

Oh and I don't call Mr White "boy".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, SensaiFredVillari said:

What is your weird fascination w/ both meat & pro rasslin'?

Welcome.  But, it's coming off as being a bit weird, no offense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Taro T said:

What is your weird fascination w/ both meat & pro rasslin'?

Welcome.  But, it's coming off as being a bit weird, no offense.

Weird enough that I'm a little bit skittish of giving him the usual "You're an idiot" welcome.

I think instead I'll just start every post tomorrow with "I know I'm a gristly old side of beef around here but..."

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SensaiFredVillari said:

Not worried at all. 

• Like 4

Beer__League__Hockey
11 hours ago, SensaiFredVillari said:

I think Tre will be fine, he'll be on a pitch count for half the year.  But if not, they'll run the old 1 CB defense and add a third DT in his place.  Book it.

• Like 1

The Detroit Free Press ran an article on what is happening with that $1.2B (which has grown after investments) that Ralph Wilson left after the sale of the Bills to help areas around Detroit and WNY. I did not know it has to spend all the money by 2035.

New RiverWalk park plants a question: How do you spend $1.2B on deadline?

</snip>

As for the Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Foundation, its mission continues, even if it sometimes seems to be treading water.

Its goal is to do a wide range of valuable things in and around Detroit and Buffalo, New York, and that part is going swimmingly. But by charter, it needs to spend itself out of existence by Jan. 8, 2035 — and there, it's swimming upstream.

Wilson owned the NFL's Buffalo Bills and succeeded in a long list of marginally connected fields, among them insurance, car hauling, highway paving, mining and thoroughbred racing.

A bequest launched his posthumous foundation with $1.2 billion in 2015. In its first full year, 2016, it dispersed $56 million, a fairly tidy sum for most of us. But its investments brought in $57 million, so as president and CEO Dave Egner noted, he was already $1 million in the hole.

Fast-forward to 2022, and "in terms of spending and commitments, we're at $915 million," Egner says. Sounds promising. But meantime, the foundation's finance committee and money managers have been busy: "We're still sitting at over a billion dollars."

Ask whether he's concerned about that deadline looming in 13 years, and he responds with a gentle but precise correction.

Counting from today, "it's 12 years, seven months and 23 days."

</snip>

• Cheers 3

IDBillzFan

This team is goofy as shit, and somewhere along the way I stopped rooting for me to get a SB win and started rooting for them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
47 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

This team is goofy as shit, and somewhere along the way I stopped rooting for me to get a SB win and started rooting for them.

They're tight...like the '90-'95 Bills were tight, it seems.  But with social media exerting an additional positive influence.  

• Like 1

IDBillzFan
18 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

They're tight...like the '90-'95 Bills were tight, it seems.  But with social media exerting an additional positive influence.  

I think - chemistry-wise - the biggest difference between this team and the 90s Bills is most of this team is faith-based.

Some people, I think, don't like to hear that, but the primary point of its value is that if you are truly a follower of Christ in your daily life, you avoid things you're asked to avoid. For example, I tell my son if his first priority for a girlfriend is not hair color or tits size, but for a girlfriend who walks with Christ, because he can trust she won't do the three things that wreck a relationship: lie, steal and cheat on you.

Alternately, when you have a locker room that, as a majority, are believers, you can trust each other much more, as well as be there for each other. Iron sharpens iron, and all that.

Some argue the 90s Bills biggest issues to get over the hump was lack of personal discipline. Not many believers. This team doesn't have this problem, and it one does arise, it doesn't stay around for long.

It's the foundation for McDermott's 'humble and hungry.' Particularly the 'humble' part.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Cheers 2

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

I think - chemistry-wise - the biggest difference between this team and the 90s Bills is most of this team is faith-based.

Some people, I think, don't like to hear that, but the primary point of its value is that if you are truly a follower of Christ in your daily life, you avoid things you're asked to avoid. For example, I tell my son if his first priority for a girlfriend is not hair color or tits size, but for a girlfriend who walks with Christ, because he can trust she won't do the three things that wreck a relationship: lie, steal and cheat on you.

Alternately, when you have a locker room that, as a majority, are believers, you can trust each other much more, as well as be there for each other. Iron sharpens iron, and all that.

Some argue the 90s Bills biggest issues to get over the hump was lack of personal discipline. Not many believers. This team doesn't have this problem, and it one does arise, it doesn't stay around for long.

It's the foundation for McDermott's 'humble and hungry.' Particularly the 'humble' part.

I don't know enough about individual player's beliefs to know if what you're saying is true (there are plenty of people who "thank God" when the cameras are on but don't really live that life when the bright lights aren't on them).  That said, it is VERY clear that the BILLS are looking for players that aren't just talented athletes but have high character - very specifically looking for team captains/natural leaders so it's much easier to keep everyone on the same page.

McDermott may not be the best game day coach in the NFL but he is clearly a leader of men.  I've always believed that leaders are born and not made.  Leadership can be enhanced through various methods but not everyone has the ability to lead, especially at a level required to be the best of the best.

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 1

Alaska Darin

I am looking forward to see how Groot develops after an NFL offseason/camp with VM40.  He had moments last season but his limited repertoire was pretty evident as the season wore on.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing at 280+ when he reaches physical maturity, which would make him an absolute bear to deal with.

• Like 2

IDBillzFan
52 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't know enough about individual player's beliefs to know if what you're saying is true (there are plenty of people who "thank God" when the cameras are on but don't really live that life when the bright lights aren't on them).  That said, it is VERY clear that the BILLS are looking for players that aren't just talented athletes but have high character - very specifically looking for team captains/natural leaders so it's much easier to keep everyone on the same page.

McDermott may not be the best game day coach in the NFL but he is clearly a leader of men.  I've always believed that leaders are born and not made.  Leadership can be enhanced through various methods but not everyone has the ability to lead, especially at a level required to be the best of the best.

The thing I love about McDermott is he understands that the best leader is always learning. He can be a bit stubborn (i.e. Peterman), but he never seems afraid to admit mistakes and correct. Which is why I believe this year we will not see the same defense we've been seeing with Frazier, which is good because then Arm of Hammer can talk about something else. :classic_biggrin:

• Wow 1
  • Haha 2