Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Hollywoke -- A thread for Tinseltown's Tailspin into Televangelism

Deranged Rhino

IDBillzFan

I'm married to a women who used to treat the Academy Awards like the Super Bowl. We'd fill the house with snacks and finger foods, and she'd watch the red carpet arrivals, etc., and it was one of my wife's favorite things to watch on TV.

Last night she saw the trailer for "Wicked," which she's probably seen four times on stage. I said "Oh, man, I bet you can't wait!" to which she responded "They're gonna phuck this us with their woke bullshit, I know it." :classic_laugh:

Fortunately it looks like the new Deadpool will make everything better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm married to a women who used to treat the Academy Awards like the Super Bowl. We'd fill the house with snacks and finger foods, and she'd watch the red carpet arrivals, etc., and it was one of my wife's favorite things to watch on TV.

Last night she saw the trailer for "Wicked," which she's probably seen four times on stage. I said "Oh, man, I bet you can't wait!" to which she responded "They're gonna phuck this us with their woke bullshit, I know it." :classic_laugh:

Fortunately it looks like the new Deadpool will make everything better.

They make a new Wizard of Oz movie every few year - last I remember was The Wiz, but googling it, there's been something like 10 or so adaptations since then.  (There's one, Apocalypse Oz, which is "a short film parody of Wizard of Oz and Apocalypse Now."  How on earth did I miss that one?  :classic_laugh:)

What surprise me about Wicked is they cast a black woman as the Wicked Witch of the West.  When's the last time you saw an African American cast as anything even remotely resembling a villain?  (Which just tells me they're going to make her sympathetic, and make Glenda the Good Witch the antagonist.)

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

Fifty bucks says the Twister reboot replaces the whole Helen Hunt-Bill Paxton awkward romantic arc with an even more awkward lesbian love story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4merper4mer
3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

4 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

They make a new Wizard of Oz movie every few year - last I remember was The Wiz, but googling it, there's been something like 10 or so adaptations since then.  (There's one, Apocalypse Oz, which is "a short film parody of Wizard of Oz and Apocalypse Now."  How on earth did I miss that one?  :classic_laugh:)

What surprise me about Wicked is they cast a black woman as the Wicked Witch of the West.  When's the last time you saw an African American cast as anything even remotely resembling a villain?  (Which just tells me they're going to make her sympathetic, and make Glenda the Good Witch the antagonist.)

Wicked was a huge Broadway hit.  Your point about the antagonist and protagonist is…….wait I have no idea because I don’t know shit about the plot of any Broadway hits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CarpetCrawler
6 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Do everything you can to see the play before the movie comes out. I won't give away any of the plot, but you'll be amazed at how they turn the story around and how great it is. The music and songs are wonderful and memorable, I've seen it four times over the years and would gladly go again.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

10 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Do everything you can to see the play before the movie comes out. I won't give away any of the plot, but you'll be amazed at how they turn the story around and how great it is. The music and songs are wonderful and memorable, I've seen it four times over the years and would gladly go again.

As someone who would rather spend the time pulling my own teeth out, with a pair of rusty pliers, that were found in a nuclear exclusion zone, than attend a musical, I didn’t hate it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Hedge said:

As someone who would rather spend the time pulling my own teeth out, with a pair of rusty pliers, that were found in a nuclear exclusion zone, than attend a musical, I didn’t hate it.

Hmmm sounds like I might even stay awake during it! (I fell asleep twice during the Phantom of the Opera, the only one I can stay awake for is Madam Butterfly.)

• Like 2

IDBillzFan
17 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I'm gonna guess you haven't seen Wicked. It's an absolutely fantastic story, told from the perspective of the two witches, Glinda and Elphaba, starting when they were roommates in college. Part of the brilliance comes from having the original Wizard of Oz story essentially happening in the background while you follow this new story.

There is plenty of room for them to wokefy the story, but regardless, if you haven't seen it, I would make a point to see it performed on stage. Especially if you were even remotely a fan of the Wizard of Oz as a kid.

• Cheers 1

IDBillzFan
39 minutes ago, Hedge said:

Having proven to be a heterosexual man married for almost 25 years, I can comfortably tell you I love most musical theater. My reluctance to seeing "Wicked" had more to do with fear of tainting a massive childhood memory for me; the annual showing of Wizard of Oz on TV was a big deal in my house. "Wicked" was just really well written and produced.

Now "Rent," on the other hand...ugh. 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
49 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm gonna guess you haven't seen Wicked. It's an absolutely fantastic story, told from the perspective of the two witches, Glinda and Elphaba, starting when they were roommates in college. Part of the brilliance comes from having the original Wizard of Oz story essentially happening in the background while you follow this new story.

There is plenty of room for them to wokefy the story, but regardless, if you haven't seen it, I would make a point to see it performed on stage. Especially if you were even remotely a fan of the Wizard of Oz as a kid.

I hate the Wizard of Oz.  Goddamn flying monkeys still freak me out.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
45 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Having proven to be a heterosexual man married for almost 25 years, I can comfortably tell you I love most musical theater. My reluctance to seeing "Wicked" had more to do with fear of tainting a massive childhood memory for me; the annual showing of Wizard of Oz on TV was a big deal in my house. "Wicked" was just really well written and produced.

Now "Rent," on the other hand...ugh. 

I think Rent is the only musical I've seen live.  I really didn't get the hype.

Movies...I loved Chigago.  And Hello, Dolly, which still surprises me when I think about it.

We won't talk about Paint Your Wagon.

IDBillzFan
19 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I hate the Wizard of Oz.  Goddamn flying monkeys still freak me out.

"Wicked" will explain their origin, for what it's worth.

My favorites to this day remain "West Side Story," "Little Shop of Horrors," "Music Man," and "Guys and Dolls," the latter of which would have lefty wokesters shitting purple Twinkies if they had to watch it today, and also has interesting stories of Brando and Sinatra trying to work with each other shooting scenes. 

Part of my issue with "Rent," beyond the fact that by intermission I still had to have someone explain the plot to me, is the way the cultists in the front rows cheer in the beginning when a new character comes out. Otherwise, the best thing that ever came out of "Rent" was how it was mocked in "Team America."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deranged Rhino

Uh... this from the woman who just did Madame Web, about the safest thing you could do in the feature space (a super hero/spider-man flick)

• Cheers 1

CarpetCrawler
4 hours ago, Ann said:

Hmmm sounds like I might even stay awake during it! (I fell asleep twice during the Phantom of the Opera, the only one I can stay awake for is Madam Butterfly.)

If you do, buy the soundtrack a month before you see it and get familiar with the songs. 

• Cheers 1