Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Who do you want to see replace Daboll?

Arm of Harm

1 hour ago, Ann said:

I try and do a snip of the tweet as often as I can. Lately, since twitter started this stupidity, I have tried to go directly to the link if there is one.

Unless the NFL heads over to GAB or Parler, or Twitter dies, we are stuck with twitter, I am afraid.

2 hours ago, Nanker said:

Thanks Ann. 

oh, you may always want to put  your safari or chrome browser in private mode. That should allow you to read twitter without signing in (for now). Another choice is https://nitter.net/ but you need to know the username to read.

• Like 1

Blessed Believer
On 2/1/2022 at 6:12 PM, Core Four said:

No, I don't agree at all.  I don't understand the fans who want to retain Frazier, and it is more than 13 seconds worth of buffoonery, though that is fireable.  This was not a #1 defense as shown by the stats, which are misleading.  A #1 defense wouldn't have put in the type of performance we saw against KC at the end of the game and OT, it wouldn't allow a RB to get 160 yards and 5 TDs, it would be able to force Tenn to put at least once in the second half, it would have stopped Pitt and held a lead.  Tre White may have made a play which could have helped (he is certainly better than Wallace, Jackson, and Johnson), but is not really a difference maker; very good - yes, difference maker - no.

The guy can't stop the run (look at what Jon Taylor did), can't stop a multi dimensional offense (Tenn, KC, even Pitt), and schemes gutless and scared.  His "bend but don't break" defense will never be good enough to get to the SB, for to do so requires beating teams better than the NYJ or Houston Texans.  He never adjusts, at all.  Look at the first game vs Steelers, they completely adjusted their offense at the half, yet Frazier didn't change anything as usual.  The lead the Bills had at half time disappeared in the 3rd quarter; Frazier picked up where he left off last year.

Then there is his scheme, which I would label as "reactive."  He doesn't utilize the DL to attack the QB, instead he plays contain and relies on reacting to the offense by attempting to win with DB coverage, which isn't a winning strategy.  Just look at what the Bengals did against Mahomes.  Go back several years and look at what the NYG teams did vs Brady in the SBs.  I could go on and on with Frazier, but this post is way longer than intended.  Bottom line is Frazier cannot scheme successfully against a good offense today.

okay, let’s look at what the Bengals did to adjust to the beating they were getting in KC. What do you think they did to adjust that obviously was successful?

it seemed to me they went into rushing 3 and dropping 8 in coverage. So how was that utilizing the DL to attack the QB?  Whatever he did worked. So what did you see? 

Having said all that, I don’t like read and react DCs either. But sometimes if you can see your DL is not able to get to the qb and you don’t think blitzing can work against a mobile QB, then at least try to double up on the opposing teams top 2 receivers- Hill and Kelce for example.  Something Frazier blew for 13 seconds. 

bb

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blessed Believer said:

okay, let’s look at what the Bengals did to adjust to the beating they were getting in KC. What do you think they did to adjust that obviously was successful?

it seemed to me they went into rushing 3 and dropping 8 in coverage. So how was that utilizing the DL to attack the QB?  Whatever he did worked. So what did you see? 

Having said all that, I don’t like read and react DCs either. But sometimes if you can see your DL is not able to get to the qb and you don’t think blitzing can work against a mobile QB, then at least try to double up on the opposing teams top 2 receivers- Hill and Kelce for example.  Something Frazier blew for 13 seconds. 

bb

Bengals knew enough to man cover Hill and Kelce and make it tougher to complete passes to them.  They were able to tackle and were able to get to Mahomes multiple times, probably through a better rush scheme.  Mahomes never felt comfortable in the second half against Cincy.  Against us, he had all day and wasn't rattled at at.  Our game plan vs KC wasn't dissimilar to what we ran a year ago in the AFCCG.  Frazier doesn't learn.  He knows one type of defense (soft zone and contain rush) and doesn't differ from it.

Again, Frazier will never be successful against better teams, which means the Bills won't go further than the AFCCG, and more realistically the Divisional round, going forward.  Cincy was aggressive in attacking KC, the Bills were very soft.  The last 13 seconds and OT were a microcosm of the entire game plan Frazier had planned.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Bengals knew enough to man cover Hill and Kelce and make it tougher to complete passes to them.  They were able to tackle and were able to get to Mahomes multiple times, probably through a better rush scheme.  Mahomes never felt comfortable in the second half against Cincy.  Against us, he had all day and wasn't rattled at at.  Our game plan vs KC wasn't dissimilar to what we ran a year ago in the AFCCG.  Frazier doesn't learn.  He knows one type of defense (soft zone and contain rush) and doesn't differ from it.

Again, Frazier will never be successful against better teams, which means the Bills won't go further than the AFCCG, and more realistically the Divisional round, going forward.  Cincy was aggressive in attacking KC, the Bills were very soft.  The last 13 seconds and OT were a microcosm of the entire game plan Frazier had planned.

Tre White being out was a factor in our plan with KC.  I am still among those who think that we will draft a coverage DB high in the draft next year.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

4 hours ago, Blessed Believer said:

bb

It was really 3 DL plus a Spy.  The clearly told the DEs not to get so much depth to keep Maholmes from escaping the pocket.  Something I literally bitched about THE FIRST DRIVE of the divisional playoffs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

It was really 3 DL plus a Spy.  The clearly told the DEs not to get so much depth to keep Maholmes from escaping the pocket.  Something I literally bitched about THE FIRST DRIVE of the divisional playoffs.

Yep, 8 times out of 10 Mahomes will out run any pursuit directed at him.  It goes against the instinct of a DE to not pursue but it is the correct strategy with KC.  Mix it up so there is periodic pursuit to keep Mahomes honest.  I'm not backing off from White being out an issue but saying there are a few problems and still feel that Frazier is not up to adapting.  As I said before it is time for Terry to fashion a retirement package that all can be happy with.  If Frazier finds a HC job then fine but get ready to write that check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Tre White being out was a factor in our plan with KC.  I am still among those who think that we will draft a coverage DB high in the draft next year.  

That didn't help, but I'm not sure having Tre with the same plan Frazier ran would have made a difference, overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

That didn't help, but I'm not sure having Tre with the same plan Frazier ran would have made a difference, overall.

The only thing I'll say to the contrary is this:  We needed ONE play to win the game.  The thing about White is he's a playmaker, which most of the rest of the DBs (and the defense outside Milano) rarely are.  Having 27 out there may very well have gotten us that ONE play we desperately needed the defense to make.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 2

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

The only thing I'll say to the contrary is this:  We needed ONE play to win the game.  The thing about White is he's a playmaker, which most of the rest of the DBs (and the defense outside Milano) rarely are.  Having 27 out there may very well have gotten us that ONE play we desperately needed the defense to make.

I get that and agree with the sentiment, which others have made, as well.  My contention is that the plan was so bad, being in a softer zone most/all of the game, I'm not sure Tre would have been able to make a play when Mahomes wasn't uncomfortable or pressured through out the game.  Tre is an opportunistic zone CB who is smart at seeing vulnerable routes and passes, where KC just wasn't susceptible to either all game.  Any big play would have had to originate up front, and we were not close to doing so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blessed Believer said:

bb

Rushing three while dropping eight back into coverage is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. The Giants won two Super Bowls at the expense of Tom Brady and the Patriots in large part by doing exactly that. Had the Bills used such a tactic, and had the eight guys in coverage not been in a soft zone, the Bills would have beaten the Chiefs. Convincingly, by double digits.

If I could summarize what I believe Core Four’s position to be, it would be this. There was nothing about Frazier’s game plan which gave the defense good opportunities to generate stops. Nothing. The front four wasn’t going to generate stops because they were playing contain instead of rushing the passer. The back seven wasn’t going to generate stops because they were playing soft zone. 

With the plan you’re describing of rushing three and dropping eight into coverage, the plan is to generate stops by giving the QB nowhere to throw the ball. Even if you use a defender as a spy on Mahomes the plan is still to generate stops by giving him nowhere to throw. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

22 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

If only Frazier had known in advance that Tre would be out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

If only Frazier had known in advance that Tre would be out. 

Big drop off in talent from White down to the others.  At some point you have to have talent to rise above the mediocrity.  By your reasoning you can plug and play any athlete into a given scheme.  If that were possible teams would not be handing out contracts into the 10's of millions of dollars.  Guy looks to get paid so you tell him vet minimum or hit the road because you can get a UDFA or some guy from Podunk U to fill his shoes without missing a beat according to you.  I've been fairly critical of Frazier but the defense is designed to revolve around the number 1 CB.  Do we know that Frazier DID NOT go to McD or Beane about signing a replacement for White?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Big drop off in talent from White down to the others.  At some point you have to have talent to rise above the mediocrity.  By your reasoning you can plug and play any athlete into a given scheme.  If that were possible teams would not be handing out contracts into the 10's of millions of dollars.  Guy looks to get paid so you tell him vet minimum or hit the road because you can get a UDFA or some guy from Podunk U to fill his shoes without missing a beat according to you.  I've been fairly critical of Frazier but the defense is designed to revolve around the number 1 CB.  Do we know that Frazier DID NOT go to McD or Beane about signing a replacement for White?

Tre White was healthy for last year’s AFC Championship game against KC. Frazier chose to employ the same soft zone and the same basic game plan that he used in this year’s KC playoff game. In last year’s playoff game the defense generated one stop the entire game. (Where a stop is defined as a punt or turnover.) In this year’s playoff game it generated two stops. The defense failed last year with White, and it failed again this year without him. 

No matter what defensive scheme you’re using you’d obviously rather have good players than average ones. That said, if White had been healthy, and if Frazier had used him against KC this year the way he’d used him against KC last year, he would not have made much difference. In this year’s divisional round, the Bills needed a good defensive coordinator much, much more than they needed Tre White. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

See the source image

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

See the source image

Do you wear your rubber ducky outside of the house?   As to the rest of your statement that is your opinion.  I feel that while the scheme was not the best missing White could have very well been a problem.  If you are so smart why don't you send an email to Beane about it?  Probably because you know that barring an HC position Frazier is not going any where.  Maybe McD will have a come to Jesus moment about the defense and pass it along to Frazier.  Once again I will point out that I said within hours of the loss that maybe Pegula should write a retirement check to Frazier but it should also be said that a defensive backfield needs to be able to hold up while the front seven runs a scheme.  Honestly, I am getting very tired of the crappy way you present yourself here.  Time to look into ignore for you!

21 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Do you wear your rubber ducky outside of the house?   As to the rest of your statement that is your opinion.  I feel that while the scheme was not the best missing White could have very well been a problem.  If you are so smart why don't you send an email to Beane about it?  Probably because you know that barring an HC position Frazier is not going any where.  Maybe McD will have a come to Jesus moment about the defense and pass it along to Frazier.  Once again I will point out that I said within hours of the loss that maybe Pegula should write a retirement check to Frazier but it should also be said that a defensive backfield needs to be able to hold up while the front seven runs a scheme.  Honestly, I am getting very tired of the crappy way you present yourself here.  Time to look into ignore for you!

I responded directly to a comment you made and you answered by moving the goalposts and going on a rant. Your posts are all over the place. Please, feel free to put me on ignore, it would be a pleasure not to put up with your nonsense.