Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Who do you want to see replace Daboll?

Arm of Harm

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

We are going to find out a lot about Coach McD this offseason.  If he stays true to his word, then his re-evaluation of "everything" the franchise is doing means tearing down the defensive scheme and doing something far more dynamic.

He wasted a championship team playing this &#%$ing retatta scheme.  I may never get over it.

Here is the question I'd like to know the answer to: How much allegiance does McD have to Frazier, and would it preclude him from making necessary changes to the defensive scheme?

From what I've seen, McD can be loyal to a fault, and that is playing out with Frazier.  Also, how does the ending of the game play with Josh, Diggs, and Gabe, who all had great games?  They were on the sidelines watching and saw the meltdown.  It's something that McD also has to consider beside any allegiance he may have.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Cinga said:

Bring Fitzie in as QB coach, I just found out he went to Harvard and is really smart! 

Seriously though, his mental ability always exceeded his limited physical ability and he would be the perfect QB coach I think.

I'm really concerned about the wedding ring thing though.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Our “new OC” thread seems a bit off the rails.

Mea culpa. I was among those who caused that.

Back to Dorsey. Below are some of the things I like:

- He is a relatively young, up-and-coming guy. Not some retread. 
- He is familiar with Daboll’s system

- He is familiar with Josh Allen, with his strengths and weaknesses

- He seems intelligent

- He was a very good QB in college

My hope for Dorsey is that he takes the best parts of Daboll’s system and keeps them. And that he replaces the weaker plays with new plays of his own creation. Daboll was better at designing plays for the passing game than the running game, so maybe that’s something we see Dorsey improve upon. Especially if he’s able to hire a better OL coach than Bobby Johnson. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Hopefully Ken Dorsey is a better play caller than Daboll and strives for a more balanced offense.  If this is the case, I would imagine we'll see a better running game and more run plays called for players not named Josh.  Right now, we don't know Dorsey's play calling tendencies as there is not a body of work to go on.  Supposedly Josh is comfortable with Dorsey, so I guess I'll take it as a good sign.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

We are going to find out a lot about Coach McD this offseason.  If he stays true to his word, then his re-evaluation of "everything" the franchise is doing means tearing down the defensive scheme and doing something far more dynamic.

He wasted a championship team playing this &#%$ing retatta scheme.  I may never get over it.

If KC is really the team we need to beat, it appears that Cincy's 'rush 3, drop 8' plan was most effective. What I don't know is if we have the personnel to do that successfully. I *think* it at least means we need speedier line backers, and there were times Edmunds looked like a punter trying to catch McKenzie on a punt return.

I think that also means Hughes is done.

My hope is that, at the very least, we get faster. We're not going to be able to keep up with Tyreek Hill or Ja'Mar Chase with the current roster.

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

Guess who worked with Joe Burrow in college?

There are people on twitter moaning about this hire and all I can think is, "WTF do you want!?"

• Cheers 4

It's amazing how incestuous these coaches are with their hires.  McD is pretty bad about this, but he's not the only one, other coaches are just as guilty.  No one wants to try and take a chance on an up-and-comer, someone new who will bring a new perspective, and/or someone who they haven't personally worked with but may be better than a retread.  

Blessed Believer
12 minutes ago, Ann said:

wow.jpg.08580ec61a21ecfb554d4e2fb887e7ab.jpg

wow, this surprises me….Joe Brady is now stooping to become a QB coach!  He was a big named hot shot who was being talked about as a Super OC. I know it didn’t work out in Carolina, but I’m sure he did envision Sam Darnold as his QB.  Good catch Bills. Who needs Shea Tierney? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blessed Believer said:

wow, this surprises me….Joe Brady is now stooping to become a QB coach!  He was a big named hot shot who was being talked about as a Super OC. I know it didn’t work out in Carolina, but I’m sure he did envision Sam Darnold as his QB.  Good catch Bills. Who needs Shea Tierney? 

Brady looks to be a really solid hire as QB  coach

has the ability to be much more

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 2

16 minutes ago, Core Four said:

It's amazing how incestuous these coaches are with their hires.  McD is pretty bad about this, but he's not the only one, other coaches are just as guilty.  No one wants to try and take a chance on an up-and-comer, someone new who will bring a new perspective, and/or someone who they haven't personally worked with but may be better than a retread.  

I don't know why you see this as a bad thing. Everywhere I've gone I've intentionally brought my best people with me, if and when possible. As Dennis Miller would say, surround yourself with good, smart people like a hole surrounds itself with a donut.

Rarely do I bring in someone for a key position who I haven't had work experience with in one form or another. If it's entry level, fine. But suggesting someone like Joe Brady may not be the best fit because he's a retread doesn't really carry water.

• Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Blessed Believer said:

7 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Brady looks to be a really solid hire as QB  coach

has the ability to be much more

It could also be that McD and Beane are planning for the future with bringing in Joe Brady, who as mentioned was the Panther's former OC.  They may feel that Ken Dorsey will get a shot at HC in a couple of years and have Joe Brady waiting in the wings to take the Bills' OC spot.

One thing I saw reading about the Dorsey promotion and Joe Brady hire is that these guys don't favor a heavy approach to either run or pass, but tend to balance the offense.  I think Daboll and McD butted heads about this as Daboll favored a very pass heavy approach, like what was run in NE, only he couldn't make it work quite like McDaniels could.  It would seem a lot of that has to do with the OL personnel and blocking scheme, where Daboll may have figured a plug and play approach would work regardless of the guys skillsets he had to work with.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Core Four said:

It could also be that McD and Beane are planning for the future with bringing in Joe Brady, who as mentioned was the Panther's former OC.  They may feel that Ken Dorsey will get a shot at HC in a couple of years and have Joe Brady waiting in the wings to take the Bills' OC spot.

I definitely think this is a long-term plan, but it probably doesn't hurt to have someone near Dorsey who has OC experience, when it comes to day-to-day stuff, much like first-time head coaches bring in former HCs as DC or OC to help them get acclimated to the duties of a HC.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I don't know why you see this as a bad thing. Everywhere I've gone I've intentionally brought my best people with me, if and when possible. As Dennis Miller would say, surround yourself with good, smart people like a hole surrounds itself with a donut.

Rarely do I bring in someone for a key position who I haven't had work experience with in one form or another. If it's entry level, fine. But suggesting someone like Joe Brady may not be the best fit because he's a retread doesn't really carry water.

You bring up a good point which does justify the familiarity hirings.  You have to be sure they really are the best and brightest you know for that position.

My problem is guys like Leslie Frazier and Heath Farwell.  Are those guys really the best and brightest?  Too many problems have come from their respective areas...defense has been talked about a lot, SpT has had multiple blocked punts, poor kick coverage (Tennessee and KC games just this year), and poor communication.

I get it, you find a good person, hold on to them if you can.  But don't just bring someone along with you because you know them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Core Four said:

My problem is guys like Leslie Frazier and Heath Farwell.  Are those guys really the best and brightest?  Too many problems have come from their respective areas...defense has been talked about a lot, SpT has had multiple blocked punts, poor kick coverage (Tennessee and KC games just this year), and poor communication.

To make matters worse, really, you notice that most of the initial bitching about 13 seconds was that Bass didn't get the notice to squib kick. Assuming he did, and the Bills were able to close out the last few seconds, we would have never witnessed what happened next, which is the REAL problem here, not the squib kick.

Though I would add as a footnote that if you're job is kicker, and there are 13 seconds left on the clock, and no one is telling you to squib kick, I would like my kicker to have enough situational awareness to check with the sidelines just to be sure.