Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Who do you want to see replace Daboll?

Arm of Harm

There’s always a risk when hiring someone to do a job they’ve never done before. That said, I’m very excited by this hire. My gut tells me they made a very good choice. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Blessed Believer
1 hour ago, Core Four said:

Cool.  One down (Daboll), one to go (Frazier).

why are so many Bills fans down on Frazier? You can’t judge him completely on his 13 seconds snafu.  We were the #1 rated defense in the NFL and he did lose our best CB, Tre White. We owe it to him to show some forgiveness for those 13 seconds, don’t you agree? 

• Facepalm 1
  • O Rly 1
  • Wow 2
  • Haha 1

No, I don't agree at all.  I don't understand the fans who want to retain Frazier, and it is more than 13 seconds worth of buffoonery, though that is fireable.  This was not a #1 defense as shown by the stats, which are misleading.  A #1 defense wouldn't have put in the type of performance we saw against KC at the end of the game and OT, it wouldn't allow a RB to get 160 yards and 5 TDs, it would be able to force Tenn to put at least once in the second half, it would have stopped Pitt and held a lead.  Tre White may have made a play which could have helped (he is certainly better than Wallace, Jackson, and Johnson), but is not really a difference maker; very good - yes, difference maker - no.

The guy can't stop the run (look at what Jon Taylor did), can't stop a multi dimensional offense (Tenn, KC, even Pitt), and schemes gutless and scared.  His "bend but don't break" defense will never be good enough to get to the SB, for to do so requires beating teams better than the NYJ or Houston Texans.  He never adjusts, at all.  Look at the first game vs Steelers, they completely adjusted their offense at the half, yet Frazier didn't change anything as usual.  The lead the Bills had at half time disappeared in the 3rd quarter; Frazier picked up where he left off last year.

Then there is his scheme, which I would label as "reactive."  He doesn't utilize the DL to attack the QB, instead he plays contain and relies on reacting to the offense by attempting to win with DB coverage, which isn't a winning strategy.  Just look at what the Bengals did against Mahomes.  Go back several years and look at what the NYG teams did vs Brady in the SBs.  I could go on and on with Frazier, but this post is way longer than intended.  Bottom line is Frazier cannot scheme successfully against a good offense today.

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 2

Deranged Rhino
9 minutes ago, Core Four said:

No, I don't agree at all.  I don't understand the fans who want to retain Frazier, and it is more than 13 seconds worth of buffoonery, though that is fireable.  This was not a #1 defense as shown by the stats, which are misleading.  A #1 defense wouldn't have put in the type of performance we saw against KC at the end of the game and OT, it wouldn't allow a RB to get 160 yards and 5 TDs, it would be able to force Tenn to put at least once in the second half, it would have stopped Pitt and held a lead.  Tre White may have made a play which could have helped (he is certainly better than Wallace, Jackson, and Johnson), but is not really a difference maker; very good - yes, difference maker - no.

The guy can't stop the run (look at what Jon Taylor did), can't stop a multi dimensional offense (Tenn, KC, even Pitt), and schemes gutless and scared.  His "bend but don't break" defense will never be good enough to get to the SB, for to do so requires beating teams better than the NYJ or Houston Texans.  He never adjusts, at all.  Look at the first game vs Steelers, they completely adjusted their offense at the half, yet Frazier didn't change anything as usual.  The lead the Bills had at half time disappeared in the 3rd quarter; Frazier picked up where he left off last year.

Then there is his scheme, which I would label as "reactive."  He doesn't utilize the DL to attack the QB, instead he plays contain and relies on reacting to the offense by attempting to win with DB coverage, which isn't a winning strategy.  Just look at what the Bengals did against Mahomes.  Go back several years and look at what the NYG teams did vs Brady in the SBs.  I could go on and on with Frazier, but this post is way longer than intended.  Bottom line is Frazier cannot scheme successfully against a good offense today.

Just focusing on the bolded because I think it's an important question that we, on the outside, can't fully determine from our vantage point. Namely, say the Bills do get rid of LF, does the scheme change since it's Sean's scheme in the first place? 

That's why for me Frazier is less important (to replace/upgrade) since the defense begins and ends with Sean. And, even though I have issues with the scheme as you do, I'm not ready to throw Sean out - which might be the only way the Bills defense truly changes schemes.

51 minutes ago, Blessed Believer said:

why are so many Bills fans down on Frazier? You can’t judge him completely on his 13 seconds snafu.  We were the #1 rated defense in the NFL and he did lose our best CB, Tre White. We owe it to him to show some forgiveness for those 13 seconds, don’t you agree? 

13 seconds plus all the games in the last 2 years is was reported McD had to take the reigns on D to win. 

Edited by Fansince88

17 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Just focusing on the bolded because I think it's an important question that we, on the outside, can't fully determine from our vantage point. Namely, say the Bills do get rid of LF, does the scheme change since it's Sean's scheme in the first place? 

That's why for me Frazier is less important (to replace/upgrade) since the defense begins and ends with Sean. And, even though I have issues with the scheme as you do, I'm not ready to throw Sean out - which might be the only way the Bills defense truly changes schemes.

I do think this is Frazier's defense and scheme, he makes the game plans and calls the defensive plays.  It is a different defense than what McD ran in Carolina - just look at the MLB (Keuchly vs Edmunds), they are vastly different LBs and play the position differently.  The Panthers were more aggressive up front, plus I don't recall them having the DLine rotation that the Bills use, but let me know if I am wrong about that.

McD is not a micromanager and has said in past article interviews that he wants to focus on HC responsibilities (which he should) and not call defensive plays.  McD does have input which he used this past season, but it would seem that is done if something absolutely needs to be changed.  If Frazier is fired, I think the defensive scheme would change.  I don't think McD will be fired, nor does he need to be for the defense to improve.  Getting rid of Frazier would take care of that.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Blessed Believer said:

Against Kansas City the Bills’ defense generated two stops: a punt in the 2nd quarter and another punt in the fourth. Compare that to the Bengals defense, which held the Chiefs to three points in the entire second half, while also generating a stop in overtime. The Kansas City offense cut through the Bills’ defense like a hot knife through butter, while the Bengals’ defense was effective. Is that because the Bengals’ defensive players are that much better than ours? Or is it because they had a better defensive game plan than the Bills had?

Last year in the playoffs the Bills’ defense generated only one stop against the Chiefs for the entire game. The defense’s performance was bad enough that it alone virtually guaranteed a Bills loss, almost regardless of what the offense might do. Given the total failure of the defensive plan and defensive philosophy Frazier had used the last time around, you’d think that this time he’d, you know, maybe try something different? But no. We got more of the same. If we meet the Chiefs in the playoffs next year he’ll do the same again, and the defensive result will be more or less the same. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • FANtastic 2

Bring Fitzie in as QB coach, I just found out he went to Harvard and is really smart! 

Seriously though, his mental ability always exceeded his limited physical ability and he would be the perfect QB coach I think.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Core Four said:

He doesn't utilize the DL to attack the QB, instead he plays contain and relies on reacting to the offense by attempting to win with DB coverage, which isn't a winning strategy. 

Relying on DB coverage to win is especially ineffective when you’re as passive about it as Frazier. You want to see Kelce get bumped at the line. You want to see guys covered nice and tight. You want the defense to make the offense earn all the yards it gets. But that’s not Frazier’s defense. That defense allowed the Chiefs to simply have the underneath stuff, and often the intermediate stuff. The gross incompetence on the part of defensive coaching we saw during 13 seconds was a microcosm of the defensive coaching failure that occurred during the game as a whole, including overtime. 

• Wow 1

12 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Against Kansas City the Bills’ defense generated two stops: a punt in the 2nd quarter and another punt in the fourth. Compare that to the Bengals defense, which held the Chiefs to three points in the entire second half, while also generating a stop in overtime. The Kansas City offense cut through the Bills’ defense like a hot knife through butter, while the Bengals’ defense was effective. Is that because the Bengals’ defensive players are that much better than ours? Or is it because they had a better defensive game plan than the Bills had?

Last year in the playoffs the Bills’ defense generated only one stop against the Chiefs for the entire game. The defense’s performance was bad enough that it alone virtually guaranteed a Bills loss, almost regardless of what the offense might do. Given the total failure of the defensive plan and defensive philosophy Frazier had used the last time around, you’d think that this time he’d, you know, maybe try something different? But no. We got more of the same. If we meet the Chiefs in the playoffs next year he’ll do the same again, and the defensive result will be more or less the same. 

TAILS!!!???

• Applause 1

17 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Relying on DB coverage to win is especially ineffective when you’re as passive about it as Frazier. You want to see Kelce get bumped at the line. You want to see guys covered nice and tight. You want the defense to make the offense earn all the yards it gets. But that’s not Frazier’s defense. That defense allowed the Chiefs to simply have the underneath stuff, and often the intermediate stuff. The gross incompetence on the part of defensive coaching we saw during 13 seconds was a microcosm of the defensive coaching failure that occurred during the game as a whole, including overtime. 

Yep.  In addition, Frazier was playing post on the sidelines when the Chiefs had 2 timeouts left; they didn't need to get out of bounds.  Very poor situational awareness on Frazier's part.  Sean Payton basically referred to the Bills' defense the last 13 seconds as criminal.

When was the last time Frazier had the DBs bump a receiver on the line?  Never to the best of my knowledge.  Who needs to disrupt a WR's timing with the QB, anyway?  Not sure why we didn't at least try to put man coverage on Hill and Kelce, the Bengals did that and it worked.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

TAILS!!!???

During this year's playoffs, Josh Allen had the highest QB rating ever for any QB in a postseason. Against the Chiefs Gabe Davis set an NFL playoff record with 4 TDs and over 200 receiving yards. When your offense is playing like that you should be winning games in regulation, not worrying about coin flips.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 2

1 minute ago, Arm of Harm said:

During this year's playoffs, Josh Allen had the highest QB rating ever for any QB in a postseason. Against the Chiefs Gabe Davis set an NFL playoff record with 4 TDs and over 200 receiving yards. When your offense is playing like that you should be winning games in regulation, not worrying about coin flips.

100% accurate!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

Thanks for saving me the key strokes, dude.

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Bring Fitzie in as QB coach, I just found out he went to Harvard and is really smart! 

Seriously though, his mental ability always exceeded his limited physical ability and he would be the perfect QB coach I think.

I said this in the other thread...but FItzie has admitted he doesn't really know much about playing QB from the "traditional" standpoint.  He stated that when he got to Buffalo it was the first time he'd really been coached at the position and was learning a lot of things for the first time. 

Does that translate into  a good coaching candidate?  Hard to say, since it was a long time ago.  Maybe he's spent a lot of times working on learning mechanics, fundamentals, etc.  But I wouldn't put much money on that.

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

We are going to find out a lot about Coach McD this offseason.  If he stays true to his word, then his re-evaluation of "everything" the franchise is doing means tearing down the defensive scheme and doing something far more dynamic.

He wasted a championship team playing this &#%$ing retatta scheme.  I may never get over it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

We are going to find out a lot about Coach McD this offseason.  If he stays true to his word, then his re-evaluation of "everything" the franchise is doing means tearing down the defensive scheme and doing something far more dynamic.

He wasted a championship team playing this &#%$ing retatta scheme.  I may never get over it.

Against the Chiefs there was the defensive meltdown of pretty much the entire first half. Then, the defensive meltdown of pretty much the entire second half. Then the defensive meltdown of the final thirteen seconds of regulation. Then the defensive meltdown in overtime. But other than all that, the game plan Frazier put together worked brilliantly. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1