Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Who do you want to see replace Daboll?

Arm of Harm

4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

To make matters worse, really, you notice that most of the initial bitching about 13 seconds was that Bass didn't get the notice to squib kick. Assuming he did, and the Bills were able to close out the last few seconds, we would have never witnessed what happened next, which is the REAL problem here, not the squib kick.

Though I would add as a footnote that if you're job is kicker, and there are 13 seconds left on the clock, and no one is telling you to squib kick, I would like my kicker to have enough situational awareness to check with the sidelines just to be sure.

I don't know I could pin this on Bass' situational awareness.  He's a young kicker and will do what his coaches instruct him to do.  Coaching is at fault with the kickoff problem.

Yeah, can't argue with what the real problem is, though as another poster pointed out, the last 13 seconds is a summary of the entire flawed game plan on defense.

Deranged Rhino
1 hour ago, Core Four said:

It's amazing how incestuous these coaches are with their hires.  McD is pretty bad about this, but he's not the only one, other coaches are just as guilty.  No one wants to try and take a chance on an up-and-comer, someone new who will bring a new perspective, and/or someone who they haven't personally worked with but may be better than a retread.  

I can only equate it to my own work, which also gets accused of being incestuous in its hiring practices. But I also understand why and how it happens. When someone is trying to build a writer's room (which isn't apples to apples building a coaching staff but), you're trying to hit such a small target. You need not only competent people who can perform under pressure and hit their deadlines, but you also need personality types that you don't mind being stuck in a small office with for 18 hours a day, seven days a week.

Sometimes someone can nail an interview, only to be revealed as an assclown within the first four hours in the room - then you're stuck with them because the schedule is too tight and daunting to start the hiring process all over again once the season starts. Get burned that way once or twice as the person in charge of hiring and I understand why they start leaning on those people with whom they have history.  

The worst thing that can happen to a room is putting someone in it that can't deliver quality material on time and is a drain on moral in the room due to their personality. I imagine, though I may be wrong, that a coaching staff is built with some of the same principles. So I can't begrudge Sean or the other coaches who just reach for the familiar. There's so much stress and pressure already in their jobs, I'd think they'd want to mitigate as much risk as possible with hires. 

But you're correct that kind of mentality, while understandable and logical, can also breed staleness. 

I don't know what the fix is though short of mandating hiring outside your coaching tree. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like 4
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I can only equate it to my own work, which also gets accused of being incestuous in its hiring practices. But I also understand why and how it happens. When someone is trying to building a writer's room (which isn't apples to apples building a coaching staff but), you're trying to hit such a small target. You need not only competent people who can perform under pressure and hit their deadlines, but you also need personality types that you don't mind being stuck in a small office with for 18 hours a day, seven days a week.

Sometimes someone can nail an interview, only to be revealed as an assclown within the first four hours in the room - then you're stuck with them because the schedule is too tight and daunting to start the hiring process all over again once the season starts. Get burned that way once or twice as the person in charge of hiring and I understand why they start leaning on those people with whom they have history.  

The worst thing that can happen to a room is putting someone in it that can't deliver quality material on time and is a drain on moral in the room due to their personality. I imagine, though I may be wrong, that a coaching staff is built with some of the same principles. So I can't begrudge Sean or the other coaches who just reach for the familiar. There's so much stress and pressure already in their jobs, I'd think they'd want to mitigate as much risk as possible with hires. 

But you're correct that kind of mentality, while understandable and logical, can also breed staleness. 

I don't know what the fix is though short of mandating hiring outside your coaching tree. 

You make a good point which further enforces what IDBillzFan mentioned earlier about surrounding yourself with good people who you trust.  I see the value in that, just make sure those are the type of people who will be successful.  I don't think McD did a good job with Frazier and Farwell, who strike me as incestuous hires.  Maybe he gets it right with Joe Brady who coached Joe Burrow at LSU. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The quick fix is going to be Goodell making teams without head coaches hire a black HC.

If he can get Jerry to draft an underachiever because he's gay, he'll get the black head coaches that he needs.

Who's left? Jaguars? Miami? Vikings? Saints?

Four black head coaches, coming up.

• Haha 1

Just now, Core Four said:

You make a good point which further enforces what IDBillzFan mentioned earlier about surrounding yourself with good people who you trust.  I see the value in that, just make sure those are the type of people who will be successful.  I don't think McD did a good job with Frazier and Farwell, who strike me as incestuous hires.  Maybe he gets it right with Joe Brady who coached Joe Burrow at LSU. 

I think the worst offender here is Bellicheck. Hiring you own kid? You're begging for a shitstorm, especially after the way their season ended.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3
  • FANtastic 1

7 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

The quick fix is going to be Goodell making teams without head coaches hire a black HC.

If he can get Jerry to draft an underachiever because he's gay, he'll get the black head coaches that he needs.

If it means Frazier going away, I'm all for it

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I think the worst offender here is Bellicheck. Hiring you own kid? You're begging for a shitstorm, especially after the way their season ended.

50 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Frazier, Frazier, he's your man! :cheer:

I figure if I keep at it, it'll bibbidi- bobbidi-boo it into happening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Cheers 1

Blessed Believer

Anybody sad about losing Shea Tierney?  I guess with the hiring of Brady, we upgraded here….but leave out the Brady hire if you can.  How did you feel about Tierney?  

7 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I know this is meant for humor but does Miami on their own?

Twitter is so annoying. I refuse to log in and now they won’t let you scroll down very far before they white out your screen and freeze up so you can’t go back to our site directly. I have to quit my browser & relaunch it. 

I wish the NFL would go to a different platform. Twitter sucks. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ann said:

bills-01.jpg.dd94b2f6f479b3942a5d5285d6720298.jpg

0-line.jpg.56664ca3392893374d03f28129e41431.jpg

Any thoughts on whether this guy can work with what the Bills currently have on the OL or are we looking at significant changes.  (Well, significant beyond one of Morse or Williams not being back.)

16 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Twitter is so annoying. I refuse to log in and now they won’t let you scroll down very far before they white out your screen and freeze up so you can’t go back to our site directly. I have to quit my browser & relaunch it. 

I wish the NFL would go to a different platform. Twitter sucks. 

I try and do a snip of the tweet as often as I can. Lately, since twitter started this stupidity, I have tried to go directly to the link if there is one.

Unless the NFL heads over to GAB or Parler, or Twitter dies, we are stuck with twitter, I am afraid.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 2