Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Bills Draft Thread

KD in CA

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-ideal-top-two-picks-for-every-team

Round 1: No. 25 overall -- Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington

Round 2: No. 57 overall -- Joshua Ezeudu, OG, North Carolina

McDuffie is an excellent corner who battles receivers and takes on running backs in the open field. His height (just under 5-foot-11) and length (arms measuring less than 30 inches) are not ideal for the position, but general manager Brandon Beane is smart enough to overlook those perceived shortcomings.

Ezeudu's an underappreciated prospect who gave North Carolina guard-tackle versatility on the left side and could play either spot in the NFL. 

• Like 1

if both these guys are available, what's the preference?

gotta assume if Bills aren't sold on Edmunds, Lloyd is a strong possibility

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2022-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-panthers-pass-on-qb-chiefs-trade-up-for-w

Pick

Florida · CB · Junior

What pick do you give the team that has the fewest holes to fill in the draft? It's not an easy call, but Elam is a quality corner with outstanding football IQ.

Pick

Utah · LB · Senior (RS)

Lloyd could be targeted well before this, but if he's still on the board, he's a better option than what the Titans have currently. He's a Mike Vrabel-level tough guy.

Alaska Darin
12 hours ago, Spartacus said:

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/lists/chris-simms-top-5-running-backs-in-rookie-class-of-2022-nfl-draft-breece-hall-kenneth-walker/

4. James Cook, Georgia, 5-11, 199

The younger brother of Dalvin Cook, James ran a faster 40 (4.42), had a higher vertical jump (33 inches) and longer broad jump (124 inches) than did his older brother who is enjoying a good career with the Minnesota Vikings.

Doesn’t easily go down on contact, his speed is real, and his acceleration is through the roof. Catches the ball out of the backfield well. He is a difference-maker, a game-breaker. Can line up outside and run good routes as well.

Can turn 5 yards into 25 yards in a hurry. Never had more than 12 carries in a game at Georgia, which I view as a positive.  Can make people miss in space.

Expect him to go around 45-55 in the draft

3. Dameon Pierce, Florida, 5-10, 218

This kid is violent, a little ball of muscle. Thick and has power; has thighs and butts for days. Will run for quick, explosive runs, reminding me of Kareem Hunt in his power, balance after contact.

One-on-one defenders often missed him. He could lead the NFL in rushing in two or three years from now. He can redirect really well when the hole closes on him.

Looks really natural catching the ball out of the backfield. Also looks like a mack truck at times running over people.

I really like Pierce - he's a little ball of hate.

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I really like Pierce - he's a little ball of hate.

agree

watched all of the Gator games

his numbers aren't better because they split 3 way committee

Alaska Darin
6 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

agree

watched all of the Gator games

his numbers aren't better because they split 3 way committee

There are a couple of runs in here - man.  He really doesn't screw around when he gets the football.  In some ways he reminds me of young Thurman Thomas but he's faster.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The ATOP thread was probably even better.  Of course, I have no recollection of what I wrote, but as it's usually something dumb maybe we shouldn't look.

This is where being a homer really pays off, as a fan. I was going to cheer for whomever they picked.

Sometimes I wish I was smarter about this, but then I realized if I was, I probably would have wanted to gut the entire buidling at OBD after the EJ Manuel pick, and I don't do self-inflicted misery very well.

So naïve and happy I go.

Joe B Comments on players selected by Bills fans in mock drafts

https://theathletic.com/3246585/2022/04/13/bills-mock-draft-mailbag/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

KAIR ELAM - CB

It begins with the first pick of Elam, which I have some initial hesitation about based on what the Bills value in the position. The two traits they have consistently targeted at the position since coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane arrived are tackling and length. The average arm length is just under 32 inches, but that’s when you include the group’s outlier, Dane Jackson. Jackson’s arm length is 30.375 inches, and without him, the average would easily go over 32 inches.

Elam’s arm length is 30.875 inches. The Bills are willing to overlook that in a lower-investment player like Jackson, a seventh-round pick, as long as the player is a plus-tackler. According to The Athletic draft expert Dane Brugler, Elam has his struggles in that area. Despite being an eager run defender, Elam “throws his shoulder around in the run game, but needs to be a better wrap-up tackler to consistently finish guys to the ground.” With Elam lacking the arm length and still being a work in progress as a tackler, it’s questionable whether the Bills would invest their top draft resource in him.

DYLAN PARHAM - IOL

The Parham fit is excellent with the Bills with his athleticism and how he projects. The Bills could have him redshirt for a year as their top interior reserve before taking over a starting guard spot in 2023 when Rodger Saffold’s deal is up. After playing guard in 2023, Parham could potentially be a long-term center after Mitch Morse leaves the Bills, either via retirement or free agency. Using a Day 2 selection on an interior offensive lineman is most efficient when the player can capably project as a center. The team values the position highly and would likely feel good about the investment.

ANDREW BOOTH - CB

Andrew Booth is an interesting first-round pick because he represents a bit of a compromise between the two cornerback traits we mentioned earlier. Booth doesn’t hit the Bills’ usual arm-length threshold, but he’s pretty close at 31.5 inches. He makes up for it as a tackler and how he sheds blocks, which should endear him to the Bills. I could see them valuing his tenacity, pass break-up skills and run defending to overlook the arm length to take him at No. 25. Based on the realistic options at that selection, Booth is the cornerback I think best suits them. 

SAFETY

Safety in the first round? I like it a lot. Last week I wrote that safety is the position that is not getting enough attention for first-round consideration by the Bills. It makes even more sense now that Poyer, soon to be 31 and a free agent after 2022, has contacted the Bills about wanting a raise and a contract extension. If the two sides aren’t on the same page, the Bills need a long-term answer. I believe they value their two safety positions more than a second cornerback, which should open it up for first-round discussion. Micah Hyde and Poyer have been the engine of the defense for a long time, and the Bills likely don’t want to move forward without having both spots secured.

At No. 25, it really depends on what the Bills are looking for at safety. There is a good chance both Dax Hill and Lewis Cine will be available, and while similar in some respects, their long-range potential is a bit different. Hill is a do-it-all defensive back who can seamlessly line up in the slot and slide between free and strong safety. The Bills love a safety who can play both positions, but Poyer and Hyde each have a standard home.

With how fluid Hill’s hips are, he may even carry some short-term value as a boundary cornerback. But the Bills need to be comfortable moving him around in his first few years. Long term, he probably projects best to Hyde’s free safety spot, but Hyde remains under contract through 2023. If the Bills are OK with Hill playing strong safety in a pairing with Hyde in 2023, there is a lot of logic to the pick. Cine can flip between the two safety roles but is better suited to the Poyer role long term and could have a quicker path to his long-term role than Hill. Either way, I’m a big fan of picking a safety at 25 as long as Poyer remains without a contract extension.

KENYON GREEN / ZION JOHNSON  - IOL

If they view Green as a long-term center, I think the selection would warrant more consideration. But if he’s a guard, they can start Saffold this year and look for a solution again in 2023.

Green also falls below the athletic parameters they’ve invested in with their starting five in 2022. They used legitimate offseason resources on Bates, Morse, Saffold and right tackle Spencer Brown over the last two years. Their average Relative Athletic Score is 9.65, while Green’s is a 5.97. If the Bills are drafting an interior offensive lineman, I think Zion Johnson of Boston College makes more sense than Green. Johnson has received some buzz as a future center and his 9.74 Relative Athletic Score falls right in line with what the Bills have invested in recently.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

These cover 1 guys

clowning

"lets draft four OL"

also them: "Hey! let's draft a punter!"

Edited by Joe
  • Haha 2

Arm of Harm
18 hours ago, Spartacus said:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-draft-10-best-small-school-gems

OT TREVOR PENNING, NORTHERN IOWA 

The Senior Bowl showcased the physical and competitive enigma that is Penning. During his last year at Northern Iowa, the Panther product accumulated a 99.1 run-blocking grade that almost shattered the PFF database. He improved his pass-blocking grade every single season and at a listed 6-foot-7 and 321 pounds, he ran the fourth-fastest 40-yard dash among offensive linemen at the scouting combine (4.89 seconds).

Penning is projected to play right tackle in the NFL; however, his strength and mean-streak as a run-blocker can result in him kicking inside to guard. Wherever he plays upfront, the touted linemen will thrive in the trenches.

“Panther product.” Once McDermott and Beane figure out they can actually draft Panthers, they’ll be all over this! Welcome to Buffalo, Penning! 

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.drafttek.com/2022-NFL-Mock-Draft/2022-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round-1.asp

Here is Drafttek's latest mock.

1) Andrew Booth Jr. Clemson  CB

2) Breece Hall  Iowa State    RB

3) Troy Andersen Montana State ILB

4) Calvin Austin III  Memphis WRS

5) Jeremiah Gemmel North Carolina OLB

6a) Tyquan Thornton   Baylor WR

6b) Jordan Stout  Penn State  P

7)  Matt Henningsen  Wisconsin   DL5T

I'm not a fan.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Damn shame he's not from Green Bay.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Waste of a pick.  Gotta believe we can pick up a holder as an UDFA.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

I'm not a fan.

Nor am I.  Doesn't address our Williams deficit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deranged Rhino
2 hours ago, B-Man said:

https://www.drafttek.com/2022-NFL-Mock-Draft/2022-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round-1.asp

Here is Drafttek's latest mock.

1) Andrew Booth Jr. Clemson  CB

2) Breece Hall  Iowa State    RB

3) Troy Andersen Montana State ILB

4) Calvin Austin III  Memphis WRS

6a) Tyquan Thornton   Baylor WR

7)  Matt Henningsen  Wisconsin   DL5T

I'm not a fan.

I'm not deep enough in my draft research to know much beyond the first three rounds - but if the Bills found a way to make picks 1-4 happen like that, I'd be over the moon. A top CB, two offensive playmakers, and a hedge against losing Edmunds? Win, win, win, win!

• Like 1