Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Bills Draft Thread

KD in CA

Deranged Rhino
36 minutes ago, Joe said:

Right. Like Metcalf then?

😄

Not sure what you mean (I'm slow today)... Does that mean you think Hall is going to be a first rounder? He might well be. Or are you saying he should be the Bills pick in round 1, position be damned, because he's worth it? He might be that too. 

For me, I'm only looking at it from a roster building standpoint specific to the Bills. The first round is about that 5th year option, especially for expensive rosters in the midst of a Super Bowl window. RB's, as a whole, have been devalued. I don't think that will stay that way, the league runs in cycles and sooner or later RBs are going to go back up as defenses continue to get smaller and faster to combat the spread offenses we're seeing - I just don't think we're there quite yet. For this team, having a true CB2 (or WR3) on a cost controlled deal for 5 years does more long term than a RB - simply because (presumably) you can always find a RB rather cheap. With Davis being due soon(ish), White having a few years left on his big deal - high quality depth for cheap at those positions is key to sustaining the team's window.  

I think Hall is a very good prospect who would absolutely help the Bills. And I do see the merit in taking a RB high based on the fact Motor is in his last year and Moss has been up and down. If the Bills pulled the trigger at 25, I wouldn't hate it but it would surprise me. I just think it would be a better investment long term for the Bills to go CB, WR, or even LB earlier than RB. Then again, I trust Beane to know way more than I ever could. 

• Like 5

Alaska Darin

The big thing (to me) about picking a RB in the first is the extra year.  You're basically going to toss the guy aside at the end of 5 years because you're not going to be able to pay him.  So getting one extra year of their prime may be worth the higher pick.

Just food for thought.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

Deranged Rhino
14 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The big thing (to me) about picking a RB in the first is the extra year.  You're basically going to toss the guy aside at the end of 5 years because you're not going to be able to pay him.  So getting one extra year of their prime may be worth the higher pick.

Just food for thought.

There's a lot of merit to that, no question - especially for that position where guys tend to underperform in their second/biggest contracts. 

26 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Not sure what you mean (I'm slow today)... Does that mean you think Hall is going to be a first rounder? He might well be. Or are you saying he should be the Bills pick in round 1, position be damned, because he's worth it? He might be that too. 

For me, I'm only looking at it from a roster building standpoint specific to the Bills. The first round is about that 5th year option, especially for expensive rosters in the midst of a Super Bowl window. RB's, as a whole, have been devalued. I don't think that will stay that way, the league runs in cycles and sooner or later RBs are going to go back up as defenses continue to get smaller and faster to combat the spread offenses we're seeing - I just don't think we're there quite yet. For this team, having a true CB2 (or WR3) on a cost controlled deal for 5 years does more long term than a RB - simply because (presumably) you can always find a RB rather cheap. With Davis being due soon(ish), White having a few years left on his big deal - high quality depth for cheap at those positions is key to sustaining the team's window.  

I think Hall is a very good prospect who would absolutely help the Bills. And I do see the merit in taking a RB high based on the fact Motor is in his last year and Moss has been up and down. If the Bills pulled the trigger at 25, I wouldn't hate it but it would surprise me. I just think it would be a better investment long term for the Bills to go CB, WR, or even LB earlier than RB. Then again, I trust Beane to know way more than I ever could. 

I think this offense has one major weakness: it lacks a dynamic RB, and has two mediocre ones.

Add that key for screens, sweeps, et cetera and it's going to be damned near impossible to stop the offense.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Deranged Rhino
1 minute ago, Joe said:

I think this offense has one major weakness: it lacks a dynamic RB, and has two mediocre ones.

Add that key for screens, sweeps, et cetera and it's going to be damned near impossible to stop the offense.

I'm with you on that :beer: 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Agree.  McD, Kromer, and Dorsey may be thinking that that an improved oline will yield better results in the run game.  Singletary and Moss are mediocre, as you mentioned, but they didn't have much help for 3/4 of the season.

Daboll didn't seem to have much of a screen and short passing game, hopefully that will change with Dorsey.  It's possible that Beane picks up another RB, just depends on where the player falls in BPA.  

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Look at the Pats drafts from 2012 - 2014

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

BB went real heavy on D especially on DBs. 

Wow.  Two observations, going through the Pats' drafts since 2012:

1) They certainly didn't get much out of those drafts.  

2) Chase Winovich is one ugly chick...

WinoCh00_2020.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Wow.  Two observations, going through the Pats' drafts since 2012:

1) They certainly didn't get much out of those drafts.  

2) Chase Winovich is one ugly chick...

WinoCh00_2020.jpg

Oh but, they are claiming BB nailed it last year. 🤣

Alaska Darin
21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Oh but, they are claiming BB nailed it last year. 🤣

Patriots' 2021 draft choices - 47 games

BILLS' 2021 draft choices - 76 games

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, Alaska Darin said:

Patriots' 2021 draft choices - 47 games

BILLS' 2021 draft choices - 76 games

But Mac Jones represents 16 of those 47 games, so that's infinitely better than the Bills' draft.  [/Gian- er, Patriots Fans.]

• Haha 2

Arm of Harm
5 hours ago, Ann said:

RB?

I’m not a fan of a RB in the first. With a RB, you’re basically getting that first 4 - 5 years. Are there exceptions? Yes, but they’re rare. If you sign a RB to a big extension, it’s far more likely he’ll become a drain on your salary cap than live up to his big contract. 

I’d much rather use that first round pick on a player who will be here for ten+ years, than on a guy who’s gone after five. Allen is young, so we need players who will help over the long-term. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

59 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

But Mac Jones represents 16 of those 47 games, so that's infinitely better than the Bills' draft.  [/Gian- er, Patriots Fans.]

Did he miss two games?

51 minutes ago, Ann said:

Stevenson, McKenzie are a start

what they really want is what they signed from the Cobra Commanders

speed to attack from multiple spots