Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Bills Draft Thread

KD in CA

Alaska Darin
17 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

There is no way in hell that the Bills package Diggs for anything other than a new contract. 

This isn't Baker and OBJ, or even Wilson and Metcalf. Or Murry and Hopkins.

This is Fred and Ethyl. Oreos and milk. Hunter and cocaine on a hooker's ass.

These things just don't get split up for anything. At least not this close to a championship.

That's 100% my take on it as well.  This is silly season and the media is trying to create news that just isn't there.  Diggs isn't leaving WNY - he's the most irreplaceable player not named Josh Allen. 

Far too many people look at this stuff like Madden.  These are human beings and I promise you, if the BILLS traded Diggs - regardless of the return - the tremors from the deal would destroy the locker room.  Players look around to see who gets paid.  You can bring in a guy like Miller but not if the cost is getting rid of arguably the most important leader on your team.  These are things Beane and McDermott clearly understand.

Diggs is more than a WR - he's the guy who took the culture to the next level.  He brings a high level of consistent competitiveness that very few football players can match and when he demands accountability, he gets it.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

That's 100% my take on it as well.  This is silly season and the media is trying to create news that just isn't there.  Diggs isn't leaving WNY - he's the most irreplaceable player not named Josh Allen. 

Far too many people look at this stuff like Madden.  These are human beings and I promise you, if the BILLS traded Diggs - regardless of the return - the tremors from the deal would destroy the locker room.  Players look around to see who gets paid.  You can bring in a guy like Miller but you not if the cost is getting rid of arguably the most important leader on your team.  These are things Beane and McDermott clearly understand.

Diggs is more than a WR - he's the guy who took the culture to the next level.  He brings a high level of consistent competitiveness that very few football players can match and when he demands accountability, he gets it.

Note to self. Stop reading too much into Stefon's twitter meanderings. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Crap Throwing Clavin
42 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

There is no way in hell that the Bills package Diggs for anything other than a new contract. 

Kelly and Reed.  Montana and Rice.  Manning and Harrison.  Marino and Clayton.  Tagovailoa and the turf.  

• Haha 4
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

These things just don't get split up for anything. At least not this close to a championship.

they could move him to G and cut his pay

oh wait- that's a different asinine piece of roster building

• Facepalm 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2022 at 3:27 PM, IDBillzFan said:

I think the draft chatter I hear when I'm driving around (and there seems to be a lot of it on Sirius) is that there isn't a 'gotta-have-em' game changer in this draft, which is why I feel like if they'll do anything, they trade down to pick up some extra picks.

On the other hand, I thought there was a chance EJ Manuel would be a good quarterback, so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in my homerism.

These aren’t The Bills of old. 
There are scant few spots for a draftee this year to break into a backup role yet alone a starting one. Why get more picks of lesser quality players when chances are you’re going to cut them. That’s what UFAs are for. Sign them as camp bodies to save the wear and tear on the starters and then put them on the practice squad. 

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Exactly. And I just don't see a lot out there who they could slide into his spot. That might change post June 1st, or even during the Draft, but without that option I can't see them creating a new hole at such a vital spot in their scheme. I can't imagine they think Dodson is ready... (shrug)

But as you said, Beane knows what he's doing so I'll roll with it however it breaks.

They can’t be thinking #40 will replace him. That’s a drunk man’s logic. I refuse to believe they would be thinking along those lines, yet alone actually do it. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LB3 said:

That's good to hear. Thanks.

"Very often its best to let our ears tell the story rather than the pens of others". Fansince88 just now

• Like 2

Arm of Harm
20 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

No doubt. The issue for me is that losing Edmunds now to fill a hole at CB2 creates a new hole at MLB. And I'd argue that hole would be bigger than the CB2 hole is now when you factor in that Edmunds makes the calls, knows the defense et al and how high the front office seemingly is on Jackson. If Kline had stayed around, I might be more willing to entertain this notion (or a comparable vet with experience in the system). Without a contingency in place, I'm not sure I can see Beane moving one defensive piece for another. 

That said, I could be way off on how they feel about Dane Jackson.

For the sake of argument let’s say the Bills replace Edmunds by using their original first round pick to take a LB. At that point you’re bringing in a rookie player unfamiliar with the system. Will the rookie be 100% familiar with the system by opening day? Will he be 100% mistake-free? No. So, you’re getting a bit of a downgrade in terms of making the calls on the field, at least for the start of the season. 

But, that first round LB can learn on the job. By the time the Bills reach the postseason he’ll have had an extra 18 weeks of learning. At that point it’s entirely possible this guy will be playing at a higher level than Edmunds. Meanwhile you’ll also have the 7th overall pick contributing to the football team. The most likely outcome for this trade is a strong benefit for the Bills by this postseason, with even stronger benefits a year from now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Arm of Harm said:

For the sake of argument let’s say the Bills replace Edmunds by using their original first round pick to take a LB. At that point you’re bringing in a rookie player unfamiliar with the system. Will the rookie be 100% familiar with the system by opening day? Will he be 100% mistake-free? No. So, you’re getting a bit of a downgrade in terms of making the calls on the field, at least for the start of the season. 

But, that first round LB can learn on the job. By the time the Bills reach the postseason he’ll have had an extra 18 weeks of learning. At that point it’s entirely possible this guy will be playing at a higher level than Edmunds. Meanwhile you’ll also have the 7th overall pick contributing to the football team. The most likely outcome for this trade is a strong benefit for the Bills by this postseason, with even stronger benefits a year from now. 

If they're trading up to 7 it's to get Sauce, not a linebacker.  Trading Edmunds gives Beane $12M+ to fill the hole and there will be options, especially after the draft/June 1st when teams will start cutting more expensive veterans in favor of cheaper draftees.

This isn't the old days - the BILLS will be able to choose who they want to be on the roster and players will line up to be a part of a Championship caliber team and money won't be as big a factor.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Arm of Harm said:

I don't see the Bills using a first round pick on a LB, especially not trading up to 7 for a LB.  I could see a 3rd or 4th for a MLB as that position doesn't have the value it used to.

I could potentially see Milano setting the calls and making the dline shifts, at least initially.

Thinking about the trade up to 7, Edmunds would make a lot of sense as a vet to include in a trade package, along with Poyer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I don't see the Bills using a first round pick on a LB, especially not trading up to 7 for a LB.  I could see a 3rd or 4th for a MLB as that position doesn't have the value it used to.

I could potentially see Milano setting the calls and making the dline shifts, at least initially.

Thinking about the trade up to 7, Edmunds would make a lot of sense as a vet to include in a trade package, along with Poyer.

Poyer needs to stay

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

No doubt. The issue for me is that losing Edmunds now to fill a hole at CB2 creates a new hole at MLB. And I'd argue that hole would be bigger than the CB2 hole is now when you factor in that Edmunds makes the calls, knows the defense et al and how high the front office seemingly is on Jackson. If Kline had stayed around, I might be more willing to entertain this notion (or a comparable vet with experience in the system). Without a contingency in place, I'm not sure I can see Beane moving one defensive piece for another. 

That said, I could be way off on how they feel about Dane Jackson.

Couldn't one of the safeties make the calls until a new MLB gets up to speed?

• Like 2

Deranged Rhino
1 hour ago, snafu said:

Couldn't one of the safeties make the calls until a new MLB gets up to speed?

Good call. I'm sure they could, it would just be an adjustment (as I doubt either of them have ever done that before outside of maybe HS).  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Good call. I'm sure they could, it would just be an adjustment (as I doubt either of them have ever done that before outside of maybe HS).  

True, but at least they’ve been in this particular defense for years by now.

They could probably call the defense in their sleep.

I’ve been an Edmunds supporter for too long.  He doesn’t fit the scheme and the coaches don’t seem willing to adjust his role. He might be absolutely great on another team.  If the Bills could save money and get a better result, and if he’s involved in a trade, then I wouldn’t make keeping him a priority.

• Like 3

Alaska Darin
3 minutes ago, snafu said:

I’ve been an Edmunds supporter for too long.  He doesn’t fit the scheme and the coaches don’t seem willing to adjust his role. He might be absolutely great on another team.  If the Bills could save money and get a better result, and if he’s involved in a trade, then I wouldn’t make keeping him a priority.

The big issue we haven't talked about is what Edmunds' next contract looks like.  Let's say he goes to the Pro Bowl yet again - he could easily get between $15M-$20M.  That means something has to give and choices have to be made.

Do you give Edmunds money to Diggs and/or Knox?  There's no way I'm losing one of those guys to keep 49.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ann said:

Poyer needs to stay

I'm just saying from a cap perspective, he can be traded with no dead cap for 2022.  IMO, Hyde is more valuable than Poyer.  If he stays, I'm fine with that.  If he is traded, I can understand that.

3 hours ago, Ann said:

Poyer needs to stay

Breaking up Hyde and Poyer would be a high risk move.  Plus, trading Poyer removes my excuse for following his wife on Instagram.

• Like 1
  • O Rly 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

The big issue we haven't talked about is what Edmunds' next contract looks like.  Let's say he goes to the Pro Bowl yet again - he could easily get between $15M-$20M.  That means something has to give and choices have to be made.

Do you give Edmunds money to Diggs and/or Knox?  There's no way I'm losing one of those guys to keep 49.

+1.  There’s no way you can pay that much to a non-game changer guy.  The time to trade him is right now.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

scary if you guys were in charge

lost heartbreaker on last play of game to KC

#1 defense in league

exciting high-scoring offense with league's most dynamic player

The Super Bowl window is NOW

1. so let's ditch Edmunds who makes the calls for that #1 defense because he offends most fans (but curiously not the team and most NFl; execs) and replace him with a rookie or some other unknown

2. let's ditch Poyer, 1/2 half of the best safety combo in the league (highly admired ion the locker room),  so we can draft another unknown,  untested rookie

3. let's revamp our offense to add a high cost, bell cow RB to dominate touches and take the ball away from said super star QB

4. let's ditch Diggs, the player treated like a brother by Josh Allen, to chase another unknown, untested rookie

5. let's move our Pro Bowl LT to G and cut his salary so we infuriate the locker-room, then replace him with a low 1st round rookie - primarily so we can run the ball better (because the pass blocking will surely be much worse)

Oh - yeah - did I mention that the Bills SuperBowl window is now

sounds like the proponents of these plans deserved the 20 years of hell the football gods imposed on you

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

scary if you guys were in charge

lost heartbreaker on last play of game to KC

#1 defense in league

exciting high-scoring offense with league's most dynamic player

The Super Bowl window is NOW

1. so let's ditch Edmunds who makes the calls for that #1 defense because he offends most fans (but curiously not the team and most NFl; execs) and replace him with a rookie or some other unknown

2. let's ditch Poyer, 1/2 half of the best safety combo in the league (highly admired ion the locker room),  so we can draft another unknown,  untested rookie

3. let's revamp our offense to add a high cost, bell cow RB to dominate touches and take the ball away from said super star QB

4. let's ditch Diggs, the player treated like a brother by Josh Allen, to chase another unknown, untested rookie

5. let's move our Pro Bowl LT to G and cut his salary so we infuriate the locker-room, then replace him with a low 1st round rookie - primarily so we can run the ball better (because the pass blocking will surely be much worse)

Oh - yeah - did I mention that the Bills SuperBowl window is now

sounds like the proponents of these plans deserved the 20 years of hell the football gods imposed on you

I'm so glad you're not Brandon Beane.