Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Bills Draft Thread

KD in CA

6 hours ago, snafu said:

Couldn't one of the safeties make the calls until a new MLB gets up to speed?

I'm not sure that would work.  The Mike shifts the dline based on his gap reads.  Don't know how a safety is going to do that.

29 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I'm so glad you're not Brandon Beane.

why?

most likely he keeps the status quo on all the points listed

Crap Throwing Clavin
53 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I'm so glad you're not Brandon Beane.

Not half as glad as Beane is.

• Haha 2

Arm of Harm
10 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

If they're trading up to 7 it's to get Sauce, not a linebacker.  Trading Edmunds gives Beane $12M+ to fill the hole and there will be options, especially after the draft/June 1st when teams will start cutting more expensive veterans in favor of cheaper draftees.

This isn't the old days - the BILLS will be able to choose who they want to be on the roster and players will line up to be a part of a Championship caliber team and money won't be as big a factor.

Obviously you don’t use the 7th overall pick on a LB, unless you have him graded at or near a Hall of Fame level. What I meant with my earlier post is that the Bills could use the 7th round pick they’d be acquiring on a non-LB, then use their original first round pick on a replacement for Edmunds. Even a LB picked in the 20s should be an upgrade over Edmunds, at least if he lives up to his draft position. 

Under this scenario, which player should the Bills pick at 7th overall? Some options which come to mind are these: LT (Dawkins moves to guard). Pass rusher. WR. CB. I’d be perfectly happy to see them take a special player at any of those four positions.

Arm of Harm

Just to throw this into the discussion: I looked up NFL offensive tackle ratings. https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-offensive-linemen-rankings

At least according to that article, Dawkins is not a top 20 OT in the NFL. The Bills can go into the season with the OL they have and be okay. Or, they can draft an upgrade to Dawkins at LT. Then move Dawkins to OG where he’ll hopefully be an upgrade over Bates. By upgrading two positions on the OL, you’re causing it to potentially take a big step up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Just to throw this into the discussion: I looked up NFL offensive tackle ratings. https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-offensive-linemen-rankings

At least according to that article, Dawkins is not a top 20 OT in the NFL. The Bills can go into the season with the OL they have and be okay. Or, they can draft an upgrade to Dawkins at LT. Then move Dawkins to OG where he’ll hopefully be an upgrade over Bates. By upgrading two positions on the OL, you’re causing it to potentially take a big step up. 

It could also depend on where Tommy Doyle is in his development.  I think Spencer Brown is the backup LT and Doyle is the backup RT.  Also, the Bills appear to be giving Bates a 4 year/$17M contract; not sure they'll be comfortable paying Bates $4.25M to sit this year.  And they just got Saffold, who they're paying $6M.

If, for example, Beane lands an OT in the first or second round, then Dawkins getting traded becomes possible.  If a designated post 6/1 trade happens, Bills would incur a 2022 dead cap of $4M and 2023 dead cap of almost $7.2M, which is better than paying him $12.7M to play G where he would be making twice what Roger Saffold is making and put Dawkins in the top 10 paid offensive guards.  i think Dawkins would be a better G than T, but top 10 may be a bit optimistic.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

If they're trading up to 7 it's to get Sauce, not a linebacker.  Trading Edmunds gives Beane $12M+ to fill the hole and there will be options, especially after the draft/June 1st when teams will start cutting more expensive veterans in favor of cheaper draftees.

This isn't the old days - the BILLS will be able to choose who they want to be on the roster and players will line up to be a part of a Championship caliber team and money won't be as big a factor.

19 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

The big issue we haven't talked about is what Edmunds' next contract looks like.  Let's say he goes to the Pro Bowl yet again - he could easily get between $15M-$20M.  That means something has to give and choices have to be made.

Do you give Edmunds money to Diggs and/or Knox?  There's no way I'm losing one of those guys to keep 49.

Good points all the way around.

I hadn't considered Edmunds but if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Are the Bills completely sold on Terrell? While he does a lot of nondescript things that do help with the scheme we run, I don't think all those many Bills fans who question his abilities in our defense are all that wrong. It would seem that Edmunds has not developed far from his rookie season, in that his play has remained pretty constant.

If we do not trade him this year (and more likely this off-season, before the draft), there is a fair chance he walks and the only compensation we could potentially be looking at would be in the form of a compensatory pick. Though the cap will surely go up next year, I don't know that we would want to pay him the amount you mention above.

Destinations? Pittsburgh (Devon Bush has not done well), the G-Men? Could Milano move to the Mike? Could Anthony Barr take Milano's place?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

how many of those top 20 LTs are rookies?

yeah-

pure fantasy land to think a rookie from late in the 1st round or later is going to perform better in 2022 than Dawkins- even in his covid plagued 2021

you also poo-poo the locker room impact of cutting his pay and moving him to G

but - you keep playing Madden, ignoring all of the intangibles that go into roster and team building

• Wow 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

This is interesting and have not seen this insight on the CB depth.  It does lend credibility that the Bills could move up to 7 for a CB if Beane feels that the draft is deep in CBs but quality is uncertain after the top two CBs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Core Four said:

This is interesting and have not seen this insight on the CB depth.  It does lend credibility that the Bills could move up to 7 for a CB if Beane feels that the draft is deep in CBs but quality is uncertain after the top two CBs.

if the Bills trade with the Giants- it will more likely be for Bradberry

Edited by Spartacus

Deranged Rhino
11 hours ago, Joe said:

Breece Hall. Let's do it

I'd love that pick at 33-57, not at 25. I've been studying him a bit this week while taking breaks from work - he's got all the right tools imo and would be a beast here. But still, a first rounder seems high. I think he'll slide to the top 3 picks of day 2, in which case the Bills will have to move up to grab him. 

27 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I'd love that pick at 33-57, not at 25. I've been studying him a bit this week while taking breaks from work - he's got all the right tools imo and would be a beast here. But still, a first rounder seems high. I think he'll slide to the top 3 picks of day 2, in which case the Bills will have to move up to grab him. 

or not

RB is not a position  Beane will spend precious draft capital to move up for

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Deranged Rhino
1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

or not

RB is not a position  Beane will spend precious draft capital to move up for

His track record certainly suggests that it won’t happen, no argument. 

If it does, I won’t hate it, is all I was saying. This roster only has room for 4 rookies at most (barring injury) so I think draft capital is less valuable while in this window. But I could be wrong about that, which is why I’ll trust Beane to do what’s best. 

• Like 1