Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills 2022 Draft Pick: Round 6, Pick #180: P - Matt Araiza - San Diego State [released]

Bills Fans

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

There are literally people on social media complaining this punt went into the EZ.

All I know is he will get more time to practice it than do it. He will only improve each time we see it. Wouldn't the deadly plays be the hangtime in the short field kicks? From the 40yd line?

• Love 1

Matt Araiza: “That Was Awesome”

Bills Punter Matt Araiza addresses the media following the Bills 27-24 Preseason Win over the Indianapolis Colts. Topics include: how it felt to boom an 80+ yard punt for his first punt in NFL action, what went through his mind as he had to hold the snap for Kicker Tyler Bass on multiple occasions today, If he felt any nerves punting and holding during the game, and how he was able to maintain composure to hold the snap for a game winning field goal.

• Love 2

Would love for him to make a punt from our 10 yard line that went 100 feet into the air and came down with the laces ripped and the ball totally deflated, landing on the one foot line. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Assuming Araiza wins the job, let's hope he learns to handle snaps (punt and place kick) in cold/win/rain/snow.  At that position you can destroy a lot of good performances with a mistake or two.  Bojorquez had some of these issues. 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

One of the Bills social media talking heads made a good point this weekend that the Araiza punts look awesome when it soars over the head of the returner, but when the returner ultimately positions himself for an Araiza punt where he KNOWS he's going to land, the returner will have 20 yards in front of him before a Bills player makes it down field.

No idea if that would actually be the case, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

• O Rly 1

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

By far.  It would be almost as far ahead of the worst in the league as the spread between the worst in the league & the best.

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

One of the Bills social media talking heads made a good point this weekend that the Araiza punts look awesome when it soars over the head of the returner, but when the returner ultimately positions himself for an Araiza punt where he KNOWS he's going to land, the returner will have 20 yards in front of him before a Bills player makes it down field.

No idea if that would actually be the case, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

In which case Azaria can go for hangtime and put it only 50 yards in the air.  Now the returner is approaching the ball as the coverage is also getting there.  Hellllooooooo muffed punt.  😉

• Cheers 2
  • Love 1

Alaska Darin
7 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

He can then directionally line-drive it and have it roll 25 yards.  The alternative there is putting 2 guys back - that's how the game is played.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

He can then directionally line-drive it and have it roll 25 yards.  The alternative there is putting 2 guys back - that's how the game is played.

I miss the coffin kick. It felt last year like we are starting to see it  make a comeback. If this dude could coffin kick it 60 yards, in my eyes, it would be a true game changer.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Yeah thats my concern…outkicking the coverage. If the PR is lined up 20 yards deeper than he normally would, it brings up different strategical advantages though. Either way, Araiza is a weapon…hopefully we figure out how to use him to our advantage.

#puntsdontkillpeoplepuntersdo

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

I miss the coffin kick. It felt last year like we are starting to see it  make a comeback. If this dude could coffin kick it 60 yards, in my eyes, it would be a true game changer.

QB that can throw a hail mary from his own 20, and a punter that can coffin kick from his own 20,

now thats what I'm talking about...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • FANtastic 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Figster said:

QB that can throw a hail mary from his own 20, and a punter that can coffin kick from his own 20,

now thats what I'm talking about...

I think I said somewhere above...between Araiza, Allen, and Bass, I want to see this team put on a charity "Punt, Pass, and Kick" competition with the three of them.

• FANtastic 3
  • Love 1

On 8/15/2022 at 2:27 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I think I said somewhere above...between Araiza, Allen, and Bass, I want to see this team put on a charity "Punt, Pass, and Kick" competition with the three of them.

And make sure you invite 13-year-old Andy Reid to participate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1