Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills 2022 Draft Pick: Round 6, Pick #180: P - Matt Araiza - San Diego State [released]

Bills Fans

1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

And now that the civil case has been filed, any criminal case will be tainted by the publicity the civil case brings.

Welcome to why I don't like civil cases in these situations.  I mean...I get it.  Still don't like it.

Definitely.

But this also gets back to truly not understanding why these sort of things end up in the university's purview anyhow.  It was off-campus, she was a high schooler.  Get why SDSU would want to know what's going on, but it should be up to the police to investigate.

I think where speculation on this story is concerned, we all agree on one thing: the most important voice on this topic must be Tim Graham.

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

In fairness, when you hear that the university tried to hide it since they were having a good season, would that surprise you?

Let me save you the trouble. The answer is no.

I dont care if the University is trying to hide it. Its a crime and I push it up the legal system until someone arrests those involved. What I am saying is WHY! When someone does this you make them pay properly. I have a cousin that was drug raped by her boyfriend. When he wasnt arrested immediately they went to the emergency room and arrested him there. People dont just say oh well, they wont do anything.  How anyone that was offended in this way doesnt charge into this full bore is beyond me. This stuff ticks me off to no end

• Like 1

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

I think where speculation on this story is concerned, we all agree on one thing: the most important voice on this topic must be Tim Graham.

Is he part of the "cut him! Cut him now!!!" crowd? And also, Beane must go because he obviously ignored this...

Reminder, too: Sept 8, Bills AT Los Angeles.

Could be worse.

Could be at the Chargers.

Wait. They're not in San Diego anymore.

Nevermind.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ann said:

Is he part of the "cut him! Cut him now!!!" crowd? And also, Beane must go because he obviously ignored this...

I haven't seen a Tim Graham comment in months, so in truth, I don't know.

But in truth, we know.

Holier than thou doesn't get any holier than Tim Graham.

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

It may have been to force the police to file charges? But why only three men being sued if it was supposedly five? And if she was that out of it, how can she possibly know who was there, and who to sue? 

This. And if she had the rape test etc I would think DNA would be pretty substantial evidence. 

(Also, how did she know it was Matt that spiked her drink, allegedly)

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Ann said:

It may have been to force the police to file charges?

It very well may have.  Like I said...I don't like it, but I get it.

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

But why only three men being sued if it was supposedly five? 

Only three they could credibly file a case against, I'd guess.

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

And if she was that out of it, how can she possibly know who was there, and who to sue? 

I don't know.  But apparently, it was widely known in the football program that this happened, and who did it, and the alert that SDSU sent out to the campus about the rape named the perpetrator.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

This. And if she had the rape test etc I would think DNA would be pretty substantial evidence. 

(Also, how did she know it was Matt that spiked her drink, allegedly)

Was it his apartment? 

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

I dont care if the University is trying to hide it. Its a crime and I push it up the legal system until someone arrests those involved. What I am saying is WHY! When someone does this you make them pay properly. I have a cousin that was drug raped by her boyfriend. When he wasnt arrested immediately they went to the emergency room and arrested him there. People dont just say oh well, they wont do anything.  How anyone that was offended in this way doesnt charge into this full bore is beyond me. This stuff ticks me off to no end

Apparently, the university wasn't trying to hide it.  They wanted to investigate (under their Title IX requirements), the SD Police claimed jurisdiction, since it happened of campus, and asked the university not to investigate, so as not to interfere with their criminal investigation.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/teen-accusing-san-diego-state-football-players-of-rape-speaks/509-02de68ba-2cf8-43d5-b41e-dae06a48be2f

There's a lot of earlier stories floating around out there about this.

• Like 2
  • O Rly 1

Apparently, the university wasn't trying to hide it.  They wanted to investigate (under their Title IX requirements), the SD Police claimed jurisdiction, since it happened of campus, and asked the university not to investigate, so as not to interfere with their criminal investigation.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/teen-accusing-san-diego-state-football-players-of-rape-speaks/509-02de68ba-2cf8-43d5-b41e-dae06a48be2f

There's a lot of earlier stories floating around out there about this.

That makes more sense then the University covered it up. So what of the criminal investigation? Hmmm???

Crap Throwing Clavin
9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Definitely.

But this also gets back to truly not understanding why these sort of things end up in the university's purview anyhow.  It was off-campus, she was a high schooler.  Get why SDSU would want to know what's going on, but it should be up to the police to investigate.

It basically was up to the police...except the current interpretation of Title IX requires universities investigate rape as a civil rights violation or lose federal funding.

And what's more, investigate it under the presumption of guilt, because the federal Title IX guidance dictates the "safety of the student community" take precedence.  It's a very screwed-up application of Title IX.  If you got to ATOP, you can probably find where I've been complaining about it for years.

• Cheers 1

What is a wobbler offense?

</snip>

What Is the Age of Consent in California?

California is one of 11 states where the age of consent is 18 years old. It is illegal for individuals aged 18 years or older to engage in sexual behavior with anyone under 18 years of age. Engaging in sexual intercourse or any other sexual behavior with someone who is under the age of consent can lead to serious criminal consequences.

Statutory Rape in California

Statutory rape is the most common charge for engaging in sexual behavior with a minor. Even if the intercourse was not violent and forceful in nature, the age difference and the participant being a minor can result in rape charges.

Statutory rape is a wobbler offense in California. This means that depending on the circumstances of the offense, it may be a misdemeanor or a felony charge.

Typically, statutory rape becomes a felony when the defendant is over 21 and the victim is under 16 years old.

</snip>

1 minute ago, Ann said:

What is a wobbler offense?

</snip>

What Is the Age of Consent in California?

California is one of 11 states where the age of consent is 18 years old. It is illegal for individuals aged 18 years or older to engage in sexual behavior with anyone under 18 years of age. Engaging in sexual intercourse or any other sexual behavior with someone who is under the age of consent can lead to serious criminal consequences.

Statutory Rape in California

Statutory rape is the most common charge for engaging in sexual behavior with a minor. Even if the intercourse was not violent and forceful in nature, the age difference and the participant being a minor can result in rape charges.

Statutory rape is a wobbler offense in California. This means that depending on the circumstances of the offense, it may be a misdemeanor or a felony charge.

Typically, statutory rape becomes a felony when the defendant is over 21 and the victim is under 16 years old.

</snip>

I think that means the victim was a little on the chubby side.

(I'm sorry. It was just sitting there.)

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I think that means the victim was a little on the chubby side.

(I'm sorry. It was just sitting there.)

I was gonna go with something like "It's when a Weeble falls down."  But I just couldn't get it to work well enough...

I was gonna go with something like "It's when a Weeble falls down."  But I just couldn't get it to work well enough...

Well, that would never work well because Weebles wobble but they won't fall down.