Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Josh Allen ..................The Book of Josh.

B-Man

Alaska Darin
21 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

In my opinion most natural righties should play hockey left handed, and vice versa since the top hand on the stick is primarily responsible for control while the bottom hand mostly just stabilizes. When we were starting out my dad made me and my brother play with straight blade sticks and play on whichever side was most comfortable. I’m a lefty and ended up a right shot, while my brother is a righty and ended up a left shot. Nowadays it’s hard to find straight sticks even in the youngest youth models, and I think as a result a lot of kids start out playing wrong handed because their parents figure they’re right handed so they buy them a right shot stick. 

That's an interesting theory.  I was ok playing right shot but I shoot the puck much harder/more accurately lefty.  Never really thought about the top-hand dominance factor.

I still eat mostly left-handed but I worked pretty hard to be able to play sports right-handed.

Chandemonium
14 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

That's an interesting theory.  I was ok playing right shot but I shoot the puck much harder/more accurately lefty.  Never really thought about the top-hand dominance factor.

I still eat mostly left-handed but I worked pretty hard to be able to play sports right-handed.

I write left handed, but I’ve always thrown right handed and I’m right hand dominant for stick sports. Growing up I shot guns and bows right handed mostly as a function of equipment availability, but within the past couple years I’ve switched to shooting long guns and bows left handed since I’m also left eye dominant. I’m still more comfortable carrying a pistol on my right side though. 

I'm a righty but played hockey left handed in my youth. It was the same way I held a shovel and just felt natural to me.

I had my first (right) shoulder operation when I was 15. I’m a righty. I was in a sling for six weeks. I “learned” how to do a special something with my left hand. :classic_rolleyes: :classic_ohmy::classic_ninja:

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

5 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

In my opinion most natural righties should play hockey left handed, and vice versa since the top hand on the stick is primarily responsible for control while the bottom hand mostly just stabilizes. When we were starting out my dad made me and my brother play with straight blade sticks and play on whichever side was most comfortable. I’m a lefty and ended up a right shot, while my brother is a righty and ended up a left shot. Nowadays it’s hard to find straight sticks even in the youngest youth models, and I think as a result a lot of kids start out playing wrong handed because their parents figure they’re right handed so they buy them a right shot stick. 

Actually, a right handed person shooting left will have significantly more power to his shot that shooting the other way because the torque is being created by their dominant hand.  But, if you are right handed & shoot right you will typically have more control when starting out as their dominant hand will be controlling the follow through.

It seems Canadians go for the "power" more often while Americans seem to go w/ a more even split or even actually have more rightness shooting right.

Being right handed, can hit a puck significantly harder shooting left, but with absolutely no control having shot right since being a young child.  Won many a bet back in the day hitting a particular target at least 10 times in a row. 

• Like 1

Chandemonium
41 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Actually, a right handed person shooting left will have significantly more power to his shot that shooting the other way because the torque is being created by their dominant hand.  But, if you are right handed & shoot right you will typically have more control when starting out as their dominant hand will be controlling the follow through.

It seems Canadians go for the "power" more often while Americans seem to go w/ a more even split or even actually have more rightness shooting right.

Being right handed, can hit a puck significantly harder shooting left, but with absolutely no control having shot right since being a young child.  Won many a bet back in the day hitting a particular target at least 10 times in a row. 

When I said the top hand is responsible for control I was referring to the wrist movements in the top hand when stick handling, catching passes, passing, and shooting wristers. I wasn’t thinking of  the follow through when blasting clappers. 

2 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

When I said the top hand is responsible for control I was referring to the wrist movements in the top hand when stick handling, catching passes, passing, and shooting wristers. I wasn’t thinking of  the follow through when blasting clappers. 

That top hand is NOT where the control comes from.  That comes from the lower hand which is closer to the blade.  The power comes from the top hand.

Think how little that top hand moves relative to your lower hand when you make an "inside out" move or even when stickhandling in tight spaces.

Chandemonium
4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That top hand is NOT where the control comes from.  That comes from the lower hand which is closer to the blade.  The power comes from the top hand.

Think how little that top hand moves relative to your lower hand when you make an "inside out" move or even when stickhandling in tight spaces.

Of course since it’s closer the top hand moves less relative to your body and the bottom hand, but because of how each hand is on the stick the wrist of the top hand is able to move more and in more directions without coming off the stick than the wrist of the bottom hand, and that’s the control I’m referring to. If the top hand wasn’t controlling the stick, when skating with one hand on the stick guys would drop the top hand and hold the stick in the bottom, but no one does it that way. 

11 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

Of course since it’s closer the top hand moves less relative to your body and the bottom hand, but because of how each hand is on the stick the wrist of the top hand is able to move more and in more directions without coming off the stick than the wrist of the bottom hand, and that’s the control I’m referring to. If the top hand wasn’t controlling the stick, when skating with one hand on the stick guys would drop the top hand and hold the stick in the bottom, but no one does it that way. 

Of course no one does it the other way.  You are trying to create space (either through speed or distance) when you drop to one hand on the stick.  You gain neither by crouching yourself over with a hand midway up the stick.

The reason guys on a breakaway drop one hand off the stick is you can skate significantly faster when holding the stick w/ 1 hand.  If you pay attention to that play, you will notice that guys AREN'T stickhandling 1 handed, they're actually pushing the puck ahead of themselves.

When going 1 handed with a defender draped on the puck carrier, the player isn't stickhandling there either, he's sweeping the puck wide and typically keeping the puck pinned under the back of the blade as he arcs through hoping to have created space to be able to get the other hand back onto the stick for a quality shot.

Edit: Further, when players shoot or pass, they typically drop their lower hand even lower on the stick.  If the control came from the other hand, wouldn't they do the opposite to gain extra control when the puck is about to be propelled a greater distance?

Sig1Hunter
15 hours ago, Nanker said:

I had my first (right) shoulder operation when I was 15. I’m a righty. I was in a sling for six weeks. I “learned” how to do a special something with my left hand. :classic_rolleyes: :classic_ohmy::classic_ninja:

Non dominant nose picking is a skill honed in difficult times for sure. Thats what you are referring to, right?

3 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Non dominant nose picking is a skill honed in difficult times for sure. Thats what you are referring to, right?

Of course. 

IDBillzFan
21 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

What I found interesting is Brady was hitting left handed.  I was ambidextrous as a kid but basically made myself right-handed because that's how the world works.  The only thing I still do completely left-handed is play hockey.  It's just too natural by comparison.

No idea why, but I literally do everything right-handed except shoot a rifle. It just doesn't feel natural shooting right handed. It never mattered until I went to buy a bolt-action rifle.

IDBillzFan
16 hours ago, Nanker said:

That's what we used to call "The Stranger."

• Haha 4

Crap Throwing Clavin
23 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

That's what we used to call "The Stranger."

That just gave me a completely new and weird interpretation of the Billy Joel song.

• Haha 2

IDBillzFan

Here's a new article on NFL.com rating the top 10 deep passers from last year, and once again we have a complicated, ridiculous mathematical equation to rank passers. 

Two NGS (or Next Gen Stats for the non-nerdy) break it down like this...

• xComp (Expected Completion Percentage): A quarterback's average "completion probability," which represents the aggregate level of difficulty of a set of pass attempts.
    • CPOE (Completion Percentage Above Expectation): The difference between a quarterback's actual completion percentage and expected completion percentage, controlling for the level of difficulty of each pass.

This is the dumbest effin' thing I've seen in all my....

Wait. Wait a minute.

It turns out Josh Allen was the #1 deep passer in 2021.

Suck it, Mahomes! We're number 1!!!

• Haha 4

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Here's a new article on NFL.com rating the top 10 deep passers from last year, and once again we have a complicated, ridiculous mathematical equation to rank passers. 

Two NGS (or Next Gen Stats for the non-nerdy) break it down like this...

•  

This is the dumbest effin' thing I've seen in all my....

Wait. Wait a minute.

It turns out Josh Allen was the #1 deep passer in 2021.

Suck it, Mahomes! We're number 1!!!

They're wrong.  According to my Official BillsFans' DAB POMA rankings, Josh Allen is solidly ranked #2 in BXCPOA behind Aaron Rodgers.   

(Edit: if anyone's wondering:

BXCPOA = Bayesian Expected Completion Percentage Over Average.

DAB = Dumb-ass Bitches, credit to IDBillzFan

POMA = Pulled Outta My Ass.)

Edited by Crap Throwing Monkey
  • Angry 1
  • O Rly 1
  • Haha 6

Alaska Darin

Just in case anyone was wondering how the media's campaign to make everything about race is going:

• Facepalm 3
  • Doh! 1