Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Climate policy

snafu

Hurricane Ian could be 'something that we haven't seen in our lifetime,' Tampa forecaster says (msn.com)

While projection models show a wide range of possible paths, one fear is evident: Tampa, on western side of Florida, could get its first direct hit from a hurricane since 1921.

And that could be devastating.

“The last major hurricane that actually made a direct hit was 100 years ago,” said meteorologist Rick Davis of the National Weather Service’s Tampa office. “So there’s a lot of people that have been brushed by hurricanes in the last five or 10 years in Florida.”

Hurricane Ian rapidly intensified Monday as it barreled toward Florida, threatening dangerous storm surges in places not used to getting hit directly by a hurricane.

these barrier island dwellers deserve reparations for the property damage suffered.

they built at sea level before Greta told them about the certainty of ocean /gulf waters ands waves  damaging property in a storm. 

who knew.

I guess they need to take a spot in the que behind all of those clowns re-building in flood plains behind 40' dikes along the MIssissippi and on ground below sea level in Cajun country.

Ian shows the risks and costs of living on barrier islands (msn.com)

Many homeowners bought their properties before people were fully aware of climate change and the risks of sea-level rise, Shirreffs said.

• Facepalm 2
  • Doh! 1

so should THEY (meaning YOU-taxpayer) rebuild the roads and infrastructure on these barrier islands to allow the residents to chase insurance money to rebuild? 

should there be consequences for building at sea level in a hurricane zone?

Small barrier islands ravaged by Ian feeling forgotten in Florida (msn.com)

Doug and Melissa Hoover's home on Matlacha is gone, like it was never even there to begin with.

"We thought at least if the house was hurt, we'd still have our seawall. We'd still have the pool. We could rebuild. We weren't expecting most of our land to be gone too," Melissa Hoover said.

The small island community is home to about 800 people, many of whom are now homeless with much of the island demolished or still underwater.

"Hopefully they'll be able to rebuild. I mean you're hearing all these kinds of stories they might condemn it, but hopefully they'll be able to build it up to this quaint, adorable community it was," Kalbacher said.

But the rebuilding will certainly be tough. Some people on Matlacha and neighboring Pine Island, Bokeelia and St. James City feel they've been forgotten after the hurricane. They said right now, they want the demolished road to be repaired so they can start to clean up and hopefully restore their island communities.

Edited by Spartacus

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

so should THEY (meaning YOU-taxpayer) rebuild the roads and infrastructure on these barrier islands to allow the residents to chase insurance month to rebuild? 

Doug and Melissa Hoover's home on Matlacha is gone, like it was never even there to begin with.

"We thought at least if the house was hurt, we'd still have our seawall. We'd still have the pool. We could rebuild. We weren't expecting most of our land to be gone too," Melissa Hoover said.

The small island community is home to about 800 people, many of whom are now homeless with much of the island demolished or still underwater.

"Hopefully they'll be able to rebuild. I mean you're hearing all these kinds of stories they might condemn it, but hopefully they'll be able to build it up to this quaint, adorable community it was," Kalbacher said.

But the rebuilding will certainly be tough. Some people on Matlacha and neighboring Pine Island, Bokeelia and St. James City feel they've been forgotten after the hurricane. They said right now, they want the demolished road to be repaired so they can start to clean up and hopefully restore their island communities.

I marvel at people who build on barrier islands not understanding what a BARRIER island is.  :facepalm:

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I marvel at people who build on barrier islands not understanding what a BARRIER island is.  :facepalm:

Is it say......a barrier in Island form? Of course my wife and I love the OBX in the Carolinas

Edited by Fansince88

7 hours ago, Spartacus said:

so should THEY (meaning YOU-taxpayer) rebuild the roads and infrastructure on these barrier islands to allow the residents to chase insurance money to rebuild? 

I get where this is coming from, but insurance companies don't provide flood insurance, the government does through the NFIP. Ironically, the program was meant to limit people building in obvious flood areas but to also provide relief to those that had to for whatever reason, like a business for instance. 

But you know the routine, since this program is regulated by Congress, money talks and people that can afford property on barrier islands, or other frequently flooded areas have plenty of it. 

That said, IMHO no... We shouldn't be providing coverage beyond the original intent of the program. An example would be a farmer flooded out due to a river overflowing or a home damaged because a dam up river didn't hold. Or a home inland from the coast, flooded out due to rain, not an incoming storm surge. Besides, if you can afford that home in the first place, I betcha you can afford to rebuild it. 

Sort of like people college debt, you signed up, you pay for it. This bullshit of shared debt to buy votes and shun personal responsibility has got to stop

• Applause 1

On 10/1/2022 at 11:26 AM, Spartacus said:

these barrier island dwellers deserve reparations for the property damage suffered.

they built at sea level before Greta told them about the certainty of ocean /gulf waters ands waves  damaging property in a storm. 

who knew.

I guess they need to take a spot in the que behind all of those clowns re-building in flood plains behind 40' dikes along the MIssissippi and on ground below sea level in Cajun country.

Ian shows the risks and costs of living on barrier islands (msn.com)

Many homeowners bought their properties before people were fully aware of climate change and the risks of sea-level rise, Shirreffs said.

Who knew sea level rise could happen so suddenly.....in the middle of a hurricane.  :classic_dry:

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Who knew sea level rise could happen so suddenly.....in the middle of a hurricane.  :classic_dry:

well, the water level rose due to the ice caps melting

the hurricane was a distraction to get insurance money

Opinions | The historical development of Southwest Florida made Hurricane Ian worse (msn.com)

But another factor played into the havoc wreaked by Ian: the unique development of Southwest Florida over the past century, which was driven by the idea that humans could control nature through brute force of engineering, wetland reclamation and private property development. This belief has left people and property more vulnerable, with fewer natural buffers to help reduce hurricanes’ impacts.

The area of Cape Coral, also in Lee County — one of the places hardest hit by Ian — was initially coastal marshland and wetland.

we know this,  because the local weather stations have been preaching it incessantly, so it must be true

After Hurricane Ian, a low-lying Florida city starts to rebuild. Should it? (msn.com)

The question — for experts, at least — is whether Cape Coral and other low-lying cities should rebuild in an era of more intense hurricanes, heavier rainfall and rising seas.

We know that Category 4 and 5 hurricanes are going to increase and storms are going to be more intense. We know the atmosphere is becoming more moist and storms are going to drop more rain,” said Benjamin Kirtman, professor of atmospheric sciences at the University of Miami. “Communities do need to think very carefully about the possibility of relocating to higher ground.”

• Cheers 2

how many protestors would need to be shot before they stopped infringing on other's rights?

'Move before I pull my gun out': DC drivers irate after climate protesters block rush hour traffic (msn.com)

Declare Emergency organized the protest to publicly demand that President Biden declare a "climate emergency."

Another driver said the activists were blocking her from getting to her mom. She then threatened violence against the group.

"Move before I pull my gun out," she said.

Billsandhorns
4 minutes ago, Koko said:

What the &#%$ does a priceless painting have to do with their idiotic oil crusade? I do love how they were trying to superglue their hands to the wall before security got there. Personally, I hope the police ripped their skin off the wall the hard way.

Why wasn't the painting protected from shit like this?

27 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Why wasn't the painting protected from shit like this?

I read it has some sort of coating, so it isn’t destroyed. The frame was messed up. Hopefully, that is true.

Billsandhorns
52 minutes ago, Ann said:

I read it has some sort of coating, so it isn’t destroyed. The frame was messed up. Hopefully, that is true.

I read that as well, just odd that a priceless painting wouldn't have more protection 

8 hours ago, Koko said:

What the &#%$ does a priceless painting have to do with their idiotic oil crusade? I do love how they were trying to superglue their hands to the wall before security got there. Personally, I hope the police ripped their skin off the wall the hard way.

Was it an oil painting?