Climate policy

snafu

2 hours ago, Hedge said:

How long before we go from:

You should eat bugs

Your pets should eat bugs

to

You should eat your pets

You don't mess with people's children or pets. This will end badly for the climate change people. 

• Cheers 3

California wildfires cancel out nearly two decades of emissions reductions

Fires burned more than 4 million acres, emitting twice as much greenhouse gas the state’s total reductions over 18 years.

https://justthenews.com/nation/states/center-square/california-wildfires-cancel-out-nearly-two-decades-emissions-reductions

California’s record-breaking wildfire season in 2020 essentially nullified nearly two decades’ worth of greenhouse gas emission reductions, according to a new study.

The record-breaking wildfire season, which resulted in more than 4 million acres burned, emitted twice as much greenhouse gas into the atmosphere as the state’s total reductions over 18 years, a new study published in the journal of Environmental Pollution.

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1

hey - for 30 years top hucksters have looked at data for the last 100 yrs (almost as long as the earth has been around)

to determine that it must be man generating carbon dioxide, because

1. we get the most money with that answer

2. the Sun doesn't seem to change the earth's temperature, based on #1 above

3. based on #1 above, it is extremely unlikely the Sun caused the earth to warm

Climate Questions: How do we know humans triggered warming? (msn.com)

For more than 30 years top scientists from across the globe have worked together every several years to draft a report on climate change and what causes it and with each report — and increases in global temperatures — they have become more and more certain that climate change is caused by human activities. In the latest version of their report they said: “It is unequivocal that human influence has warmed the atmosphere, ocean and land.”

The first and most frequent natural suspect is the sun. The sun is what warms Earth in general providing about 1,361 watts per meter squared of heat, year in year out. That’s the baseline, the delicate balance that makes Earth livable. Changes in energy coming from the sun have been minimal, about one-tenth of a watt per meter squared, scientists calculate.

The sun’s 11-year cycle goes through regular but small ups and downs, but that doesn’t seem to change Earth’s temperature. And if anything the ever so slight changes in 11-year-average solar irradiance have been shifting downward, according to NASA calculations, with the space agency concluding “it is therefore extremely unlikely that the Sun has caused the observed global temperature warming trend over the past century.”

On 10/23/2022 at 3:26 AM, Hedge said:

How long before we go from:

You should eat bugs

Your pets should eat bugs

to

You should eat your pets

Dont screw with my dog! I will harm you!!

Best John Wick GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Yup, this makes me want to run right out and buy a new EV....

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/community-family/hummer-electric-vehicle-tail-light-costs-4-000

The owner of a Hummer electric truck was shocked to learn replacing his tail lights is a rather expensive venture.

“Had a shocker today,” the owner wrote in a Hummer EV Facebook group. “A new passenger side rear light for the Hummer EV; $4,040 just to buy it.”

Car review website the Drive confirmed General Motor’s list price for one tail light is $3,045. Without factoring in labor, the list price for a set of tail lights runs for nearly $6,100, a cost equaling more than 5% of the Hummer EV’s MSRP.

“The taillights in the Hummer EV have small microcontrollers installed within them. These chips control unique lighting functions in their respective lights,” the Drive suggested as a reason for the high price. “Additionally, the Hummer EV is a fairly limited-run vehicle thus far, meaning parts are generally more expensive until economies of scale kick in.”

Maintenance expenses, in addition to software mishaps that have left EV drivers stranded , have drawn criticism in relation to the United States’s push toward electric vehicles.

Last week, President Joe Biden announced the awarding of $2.8 billion in new Department of Energy grants for projects meant to boost the transition to electric vehicles.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Cinga said:

That's less an EV problem that it is a "unique lighting functions" problem.

Whatever that means.  I mean, they're lights.  It's not like they double as waffle makers or something.  

Nouseforaname
1 hour ago, Cinga said:

A friend of mine is a mechanic. A client came in with a navigator with a faulty transmission sensor IIRC.  The piece wasn’t sold separately.  Had to replace the transmission.

Modern cars are expensive to fix.

6 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

That's less an EV problem that it is a "unique lighting functions" problem.

Whatever that means.  I mean, they're lights.  It's not like they double as waffle makers or something.  

Heck, for that price it had better be able to make my waffles and clean up afterwards too

6 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

A friend of mine is a mechanic. A client came in with a navigator with a faulty transmission sensor IIRC.  The piece wasn’t sold separately.  Had to replace the transmission.

Modern cars are expensive to fix.

Yeah, we have tools now the switches and motors are connected and sealed to keep dust and debris out if. But what that means is if a switch goes bad you now have to replace the entire assembly instead of just an inexpensive switch.

Like your transmission it adds to the idea we are becoming more and more a disposable society. While I have an electric Hoover, the vac used most is a stand up rechargeable since it is just as powerful, and much lighter. But when the battery gives up in a few years, you can't change it, you just throw it away and replace it. Switching over to EVs, does anyone think in even 50 years you might have "classic" EVs out there? Of course not, all of them will simply be disposed of at EOL because new technologies will make batteries, motor/generators, etc obsolete and they will be designed with this in mind, making them disposable. 

In my lifetime, I'm in my 60s; we've gone from "if it breaks, fix it" usually yourself. To a society that now if it breaks, throw it away and get a new one. Heck, I knew how to rebuild an engine before I could get a license but with cars now it's hard to even give them a tune-up yourself, usually involves removing intake manifold at least on most cars

Nouseforaname
1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Yeah, we have tools now the switches and motors are connected and sealed to keep dust and debris out if. But what that means is if a switch goes bad you now have to replace the entire assembly instead of just an inexpensive switch.

Like your transmission it adds to the idea we are becoming more and more a disposable society. While I have an electric Hoover, the vac used most is a stand up rechargeable since it is just as powerful, and much lighter. But when the battery gives up in a few years, you can't change it, you just throw it away and replace it. Switching over to EVs, does anyone think in even 50 years you might have "classic" EVs out there? Of course not, all of them will simply be disposed of at EOL because new technologies will make batteries, motor/generators, etc obsolete and they will be designed with this in mind, making them disposable. 

In my lifetime, I'm in my 60s; we've gone from "if it breaks, fix it" usually yourself. To a society that now if it breaks, throw it away and get a new one. Heck, I knew how to rebuild an engine before I could get a license but with cars now it's hard to even give them a tune-up yourself, usually involves removing intake manifold at least on most cars

We have entered an era where « owning » a vehicle will eventually mean that it will have a shorter shelf life but I’ll argue that this happened long before EV’s.

3 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

We have entered an era where « owning » a vehicle will eventually mean that it will have a shorter shelf life but I’ll argue that this happened long before EV’s.

Further proof that technological advances have made us dumber.

• Cheers 1

I know this may sound strange coming from me as I have never been one of those environmentalist types.  But I just wanted to share with everyone a reuse/recycling habit that I was recently introduced to.

You know those single use K cup coffee pods?  Use them once and throw them away? Seems wasteful

But they can be repurposed

As range targets

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
20 minutes ago, devnull said:

I know this may sound strange coming from me as I have never been one of those environmentalist types.  But I just wanted to share with everyone a reuse/recycling habit that I was recently introduced to.

You know those single use K cup coffee pods?  Use them once and throw them away? Seems wasteful

But they can be repurposed

As range targets

So can squirrels.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761165d77596ef934884af

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2022 at 6:32 AM, Cinga said:

Yup. My 2004 Quest we had was going to be 690$ just in labor.  8 hour job by the book. Took me 6.5 and I never did it. That van was a pile. Rebuilt the front suspension 4 times.  2000lb suspension under a 3800 lb car will get you that.

• Cheers 2

Greta Thunberg says stupid shit.

This is what I found most fascinating:

Asked to comment on recent protest actions by Just Stop Oil activists which saw them throw soup at Vincent van Gogh's 'Sunflowers' at London's National Gallery, Thunberg said, "People are trying to find new methods because we realize that what we have been doing up until now has not done the trick. It's only reasonable to expect these kinds of different actions."

@$$h@l&s trying to destroy priceless works of art and glue themselves to walls is "reasonable"?

• Cheers 1