Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2023 NFL Quarterback Carousel

B-Man

On 8/6/2023 at 4:59 PM, Ann said:

Looks like he is done

Nice bit of marketing.  It shows that he is willing to start for sh*tty teams or back up for contenders

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ann said:

Yeah

I suspect Hurts ranking is based on him getting to the SB, but Burrow and Allen not getting there last year.

Then again I'd be more interested in his take on Tyreek being ranked higher than Allen. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

I suspect Hurts ranking is based on him getting to the SB, but Burrow and Allen not getting there last year.

Then again I'd be more interested in his take on Tyreek being ranked higher than Allen. 

Was just watching some of Hurts' 2022 highlights to get a sense of "why," and noticed he had three long (30+) yard TD throws against the Steelers.  Which, of course, got me thinking of Gabe Davis' insane game against them, and got me wondering...

Did the Steelers' secondary just slurp ass, or what?

• Wow 1

Alaska Darin
3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Was just watching some of Hurts' 2022 highlights to get a sense of "why," and noticed he had three long (30+) yard TD throws against the Steelers.  Which, of course, got me thinking of Gabe Davis' insane game against them, and got me wondering...

Did the Steelers' secondary just slurp ass, or what?

Steelers defense with TJ Watt:  Above average.

Steelers defense without TJ Watt:  Very below average

He may have fallen down the Top 100 rankings but he's easily one of the 10 most important players in the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

CarpetCrawler
1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

Looks like it fixed his posture! 

It gives him just the right amount of lift and separation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

NFL Quarterback Council 2023: Ranking top 10 QBs by trait

For a third straight year, we asked ESPN's NFL analysts -- Matt Bowen, Tim Hasselbeck, Matt Miller, Dan Orlovsky, Jason Reid, Jordan Reid, Mike Tannenbaum, Seth Walder and Field Yates -- to rank their personal top 10 NFL quarterbacks entering the 2023 season in 10 distinct categories, from arm strength to pocket presence. We combined those lists with a points-based system to generate final rankings in each area, all 10 of which are below.

Our analysts then reacted to each list, explaining why the quarterbacks at or near the top of each group belong there and discussing what surprised them most about the final top-10s. We also gave a big stat to know, spun it forward with a young rising QB to watch for each trait and pointed out snubs who probably should have cracked each ranking. Let's start with the best downfield throwers in the league, but you can jump to each category to see how the top quarterbacks rank in the other nine skills.

Arm strength

1. Josh Allen, Bills
2. Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs
3. Justin Herbert, Chargers
4. Aaron Rodgers, Jets
5. Trevor Lawrence, Jaguars
6. Anthony Richardson, Colts
7. Jalen Hurts, Eagles
8. Matthew Stafford, Rams
9. Lamar Jackson, Ravens
10. Kyler Murray, Cardinals

Best of the best: Allen's arm strength became a big talking point after his pro day back in 2018, and he certainly has the power and velocity to air it out. But what makes that arm strength even more impressive is how he pairs it with exceptional accuracy down the field. No offense likes to find itself playing behind the sticks, but Allen's powerful right arm leaves a defense feeling vulnerable on any down, including third-and-long situations. -- Yates

Field vision

1. Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs
2. Joe Burrow, Bengals
3. Aaron Rodgers, Jets
4. Josh Allen, Bills
5. Justin Herbert, Chargers
6. Jalen Hurts, Eagles
7. Trevor Lawrence, Jaguars
8. Tua Tagovailoa, Dolphins
9. Dak Prescott, Cowboys
10. Matthew Stafford, Rams

Decision-making with the football

2. Joe Burrow, Bengals
3. Aaron Rodgers, Jets
4. Jalen Hurts, Eagles
6. Jared Goff, Lions
7. Geno Smith, Seahawks
8. Kirk Cousins, Vikings
9. Josh Allen, Bills
10. Tua Tagovailoa, Dolphins

Mechanics

1. Joe Burrow, Bengals
2. Aaron Rodgers, Jets
3. Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs
4. Justin Herbert, Chargers
T-5. Dak Prescott, Cowboys
T-5. Trevor Lawrence, Jaguars
T-7. Josh Allen, Bills
T-7. Kirk Cousins, Vikings
9. Tua Tagovailoa, Dolphins
T-10. Matthew Stafford, Rams
T-10. Jared Goff, Lions

Compete level and toughness

2. Josh Allen, Bills
3. Joe Burrow, Bengals
4. Jalen Hurts, Eagles
6. Matthew Stafford, Rams
7. Dak Prescott, Cowboys
8. Aaron Rodgers, Jets
9. Justin Fields, Bears
T-10. Lamar Jackson, Ravens
T-10. Trevor Lawrence, Jaguars

Pocket presence

T-2. Joe Burrow, Bengals
T-2. Aaron Rodgers, Jets
4. Justin Herbert, Chargers
5. Josh Allen, Bills
6. Jalen Hurts, Eagles
7. Dak Prescott, Cowboys
8. Tua Tagovailoa, Dolphins
T-9. Trevor Lawrence, Jaguars
T-9. Lamar Jackson, Ravens

Rushing ability

1. Lamar Jackson, Ravens
2. Jalen Hurts, Eagles
3. Justin Fields, Bears
4. Josh Allen, Bills
5. Kyler Murray, Cardinals
6. Anthony Richardson, Colts
7. Daniel Jones, Giants
8. Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs
9. Justin Herbert, Chargers
10. Trevor Lawrence, Jaguars

Second-reaction ability

2. Josh Allen, Bills
3. Aaron Rodgers, Jets
4. Lamar Jackson, Ravens
T-5. Justin Herbert, Chargers
T-5. Joe Burrow, Bengals
7. Jalen Hurts, Eagles
8. Kyler Murray, Cardinals
9. Trevor Lawrence, Jaguars
10. Justin Fields, Bears

What parts Allen did not make:

Accuracy

Biggest surprise: I'm pretty shocked that Josh Allen isn't on this list. You don't throw the ball with success as much as he does without accuracy. I would have guessed there would be more appreciation for how hard it is to be an accurate passer -- which he is at this stage of his career -- when you run the ball as much as he does (100-plus carries in four straight seasons). He now has three straight seasons with 35 or more TD throws, and he was only off target on 14.7% of his throws in 2022. -- Hasselbeck

Touch

Snubbed: I was shocked to see Matthew Stafford missing here. Yes, he can throw absolute lasers, but let's not forgot about his ability to deliver the ball with both touch and pace. It allows Stafford to layer throws over the second level of the defense or drop the ball into a bucket downfield. Other notable omissions that stood out were Josh Allen and Russell Wilson. -- Bowen

Crap Throwing Clavin
31 minutes ago, Ann said:

[...]

Arm strength

1. Josh Allen, Bills

Best of the best: Allen's arm strength became a big talking point after his pro day back in 2018, and he certainly has the power and velocity to air it out. But what makes that arm strength even more impressive is how he pairs it with exceptional accuracy down the field. No offense likes to find itself playing behind the sticks, but Allen's powerful right arm leaves a defense feeling vulnerable on any down, including third-and-long situations. -- Yates

[...]

What parts Allen did not make:

Accuracy

Yeah, I'm taking these shitbiscuits seriously.  :classic_laugh:

• Like 2