Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 9/12/2021 at 12:04 PM, KD in CA said:

I'd like to think they still beat the piss out these guys when they get them back under the stands, but that probably doesn't happen any more.

Not without checking his voter registration first.

It wouldn't be the Mets if they didn't hire some inexperienced, unqualified, bland puppet to manage the team.

Oh, but his father was a famous ballplayer so I'm sure he'll be a great manager!

At least we have Once Upon A Time in Queens to watch.   And really, how did it take 30 for 30 this long to get around to the '86 Mets?

'That was just so classy': How Mookie Betts helped Reds rookie TJ Friedl retrieve first home run ball
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2021/09/20/mookie-betts-home-run-ball-tj-friedl-trade/841677600

In the end the kid in the Betts jersey winds up with a photo op with the bat...nice.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Why are the Red Sox wearing bright yellow unis w/ powder blue caps?

That's just weird.

It was some Nike MLB thing.  I think it was meant to make them look like a beer league team. All they needed was a sponsor’s name on the back.

They kept wearing them because they went on a winning streak. I’ll take the loss last night just to see those rags retired.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, snafu said:

It was some Nike MLB thing.  I think it was meant to make them look like a beer league team. All they needed was a sponsor’s name on the back.

They kept wearing them because they went on a winning streak. I’ll take the loss last night just to see those rags retired.

So is this you? 😁 :cheers:

red sox unis.PNG

• FANtastic 1

On 9/25/2021 at 3:24 PM, snafu said:

I heard somewhere the colors are related to the Marathon bombing and it was commemorative, but I’m not sure about that.  They’re awful.  The Giants have a weird one they wear too but it is not nearly as bad.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/25/2021 at 12:24 PM, snafu said:

Of course.  Because that Wal-Mart sized store with the Red Sox gear across from Fenway doesn't have enough merchandise to sell.

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 9/27/2021 at 10:36 AM, 4merper4mer said:

I heard somewhere the colors are related to the Marathon bombing and it was commemorative, but I’m not sure about that.  They’re awful.  The Giants have a weird one they wear too but it is not nearly as bad.

Not to that other horrific Boston terror attack?

mooninite-globe-archive-768x432.jpeg?wid

1/31/07.  Never forget.

Not a baseball fan, but I'm certainly aware of what a great batter Gary Sheffield was.

I just read an article by Gary Sheffield, Jr. who, in his bio, wrote he was son of "should-be Hall of Famer Gary Sheffield."

I just assumed that a big bat like Sheffield was in the HOF. Anyone know why he is not? Did he bang Bud Selig's daughter?

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Not a baseball fan, but I'm certainly aware of what a great batter Gary Sheffield was.

I just read an article by Gary Sheffield, Jr. who, in his bio, wrote he was son of "should-be Hall of Famer Gary Sheffield."

I just assumed that a big bat like Sheffield was in the HOF. Anyone know why he is not? Did he bang Bud Selig's daughter?

I assume it's directly related to his inclusion in the 'roids investigations in the '00s, but also worth a closer look.

His career numbers are pretty solid for the HOF;  .290, 500HR;  1600+ RBI.  A bunch of all star games, etc.  There's no doubt he was a fearsome hitter for most of his career.  But you have to ding him for playing in the juiced era, and he doesn't really stand out as a dominant player of his era.  Also, he was a journeyman, playing for a bunch of teams, indicating he wasn't very well liked.  On balance, I suppose he should be in based on who else has been admitted, but I don't think it's a no-brainer.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like 3

Terrific game with Yankees and Rays.

1 - 0 NY

Judge knocks in the only run in the bottom of the 9th.

1st base was open, but I think that the Rays were trying to make a point.

They didn't.