Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

Blast from the past here. I played against him a long time ago.
I wish I could find the article. He said my pitch looked like a watermelon coming in.
I guess it was Merry Christmas early for him that year.
$%$!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 12:56 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I have to admit...I'd love to see the strike zone called by non-humans.  Let's see what happens when it's called according to the rules.

Do the robots have laser beam eyes like the Geico commercial?  Experiment on Dodgers that argue.

• Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 1/21/2022 at 12:56 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I have to admit...I'd love to see the strike zone called by non-humans.  Let's see what happens when it's called according to the rules.

Can't wait to see them hacked.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Big Papi voted into HOF.

’Roid boys get shut out again.  On to the Veterans’ Committee.  Good luck there!

I saw Barry Bonds getting dressed in the locker room before a baseball clinic. One of the strongest guys I had seen in my youth, he was built like a brick sh*thouse,
I hope Bobby stays in "roid prison with no parole.

JANUARY 26, 2022 — PAUL MIRENGOFF

HALL OF FAME EXCLUDES CURT SCHILLING DUE TO HIS POLITICS

Featured image

Yesterday, a group of sportswriters voted David Ortiz into the Hall of Fame. They did this even though Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003, around the time he transformed himself from a below average hitter to a star.

In other Hall of Fame news, Curt Schilling fell well short of the number of votes required for admission because woke sportswriters with ballots don’t like his politics. Here is what I wrote on the subject when Schilling — or rather the voters — fell short last year.

Schilling should view his exclusion as a badge of honor, and there is reason to believe he might. After last year’s vote, he asked that his name be withdrawn from this year’s ballot — the last one he is eligible to appear on.

Baseball’s Hall of Fame has become a joke. It’s a waste of time to discuss it.

However, this is a good time to celebrate Curt Schilling’s accomplishments. His career WAR (wins above replacement player) is 80.5. That’s just behind Bob Gibson and just ahead of Tom Glavine and Carl Hubbell. All three are generally considered upper tier Hall of Famers.

Like Gibson, Schilling boasts an exquisite post-season record. He went 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA and a 0.97 WHIP (walks plus hits over innings pitched) in 19 starts and 133.3 career playoff innings. Schilling won three World Series rings, was named MVP of the 1993 NLCS, and co-MVP of the 2001 World Series (with Randy Johnson).

Schilling engaged in no baseball-related misconduct that could justify his exclusion. He didn’t throw games like Shoeless Joe Jackson. He didn’t bet on games like Pete Rose. There is no hint that he used performance enhancing drugs, as there is with Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and newly-elected Hall of Famer David Ortiz.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 7:15 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Can't wait to see them hacked.

Congratulations to the Patriots on your first World Series championship.

I guess letting David Roidtiz into the HOF is a message to the rest of the ROIDers that they "should've been nicer to the writers."

I like Big Papi.  Great player.  But let's not pretend he wasn't juiced.  I mean, tons of guys put up 100% of their best seasons after age 28 and lead MLB in Slugging, Doubles, RBIs, and OPS at age 40. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I guess letting David Roidtiz into the HOF is a message to the rest of the ROIDers that they "should've been nicer to the writers."

I like Big Papi.  Great player.  But let's not pretend he wasn't juiced.  I mean, tons of guys put up 100% of their best seasons after age 28 and lead MLB in Slugging, Doubles, RBIs, and OPS at age 40. 

Nobody loves Big Papi more than Big Papi.

I was glad when he finally hung em up.  Can’t watch him on MLB. He turned into an obnoxious tool a long time ago.

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

@Crap Throwing Monkey, any truth to this meme?

if it is, we have an example of actual military intelligence.  😉

Probably - almost certainly - not.  I can't completely discount it, I've heard it for at least 40 years...but I've never seen any evidence for it.

WWII grenades were the classic "pineapple" grenade, weren't round, and weighed about 4 times more than a baseball with about an inch greater diameter.  The grenade shown in that image is a more modern grenade (the Mk 67, I think), and while it weighs less than the Mk 2, it's still about three times the weight of a baseball (but closer in diameter, about a quarter-inch smaller).  And you don't really throw grenades like a baseball.  The danger radius of a grenade is larger than the distance it can be thrown, so soldiers are usually trained to lob them from cover or the prone position, not throw them overhand.

And the US wasn't unique in producing that style grenade, either.  Most countries produced some sort of egg-shaped  or can-shaped grenade (e.g. the British Mills Bomb - which only last year was retired from service, after more than 100 years.  The Japanese Type 97 and 4.  The German M39.)

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2