Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Grew up a Yankees'/BILLS/Sabres fan.

Never met a Pats' fan who wasn't a delusional Red Sox fan who think the average Yankees' fan somehow cares about the Red Sox.  The ONLY Yankees fans who give a flying shit about Boston baseball were born in the last 30 years.  The Red Sox never won an important game against the Yankees until I was nearly 40.

The media made it a rivalry.  The Red Sox sure as hell didn't.  I've been to multiple games at Fenway.  It is not an impressive fan base in any way (no different than the average Yankee fan in my experience).

It was a "one-way rivalry" for some 80+ years.  In that time:

Red Sox fans: "Yankees are our arch-enemy!"

Yankees fans: "Hold on, there's something stuck to the bottom of my shoe."

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Alaska Darin
5 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

What's probably the strongest pillar of my marriage is that we both hate the Dolphins and Tom Brady.

My wife never watched sports until we got together.  I didn't give her much of a choice because was either be into this stuff, be alone quite a bit, or move on with your life.  I spent a lot of time explaining the nuances of baseball, hockey, and football.  That helped a lot.

We started dating in the early 1990s, so the BILLS were great, the Yankees were starting to put it together, and the Sabres were consistently good.  She really got into hockey in 1994 when the Rangers won the Cup because Brian Leetch (because he's an American) and Mark Messier are two of my all-time favorite players.  When she finally got to see the Rangers in person, she cried as they took the ice.

Now she gets mad when they don't televise enough of the paralympics.

16 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Rangers won the Cup because Brian Leetch

Say no more.

I’ve never seen a more deserving Conn Smythe performance than that year. Messier had his game 6 vs NJ, but Leetch was great in every game. 

2 hours ago, snafu said:

Say no more.

I’ve never seen a more deserving Conn Smythe performance than that year. Messier had his game 6 vs NJ, but Leetch was great in every game. 

The night of my rehearsal dinner w/ my first wife.  By the time it reached 2OT, we were at the after party in the hotel bar and she was furious that everyone was only concerned about the game.  I should have known right then.....ok, I did know, but was too young and gutless to call things off at the last minute!  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Alaska Darin
55 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The night of my rehearsal dinner w/ my first wife.  By the time it reached 2OT, we were at the after party in the hotel bar and she was furious that everyone was only concerned about the game.  I should have known right then.....ok, I did know, but was too young and gutless to call things off at the last minute!  

Scheduling anything during the Stanley Cup playoffs is an automatic relationship ender.

Alaska Darin

Sanchez desperately needed a change of scenery.  I think he's just another one of those guys with unbelievable natural talent who isn't really a hard worker.  I'm curious to see if he's had an epiphany now that he's been traded.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, B-Man said:

More early season craziness.

I disagree with the Rangers announcers, he slid past the bag into the fielder.

Terrible call.  He slid before and over the bag, never got more than about six inches from second.  The over-officiating of baseball continues to ruin the game.

• Cheers 1

Alaska Darin
3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Terrible call.  He slid before and over the bag, never got more than about six inches from second.  The over-officiating of baseball continues to ruin the game.

I don't even know the rules anymore.  It used to be you had to be able to make contact with the base - if that's still the rule then it's a really bad call.

That was NOT one of the slides they were trying to eliminate from the game, regardless.

Baseball will always be my favorite sport, but they are making it hard nowadays.

Yes, I am aware of the pitch count argument, but I do not agree.

• Angry 2
  • Boo 1

12 hours ago, Ann said:

Never heard the term "down the dick."
Heard the term "cock shot" a lot. Basically a c$$k high fastball that would usually end up in the bleachers.

17 hours ago, Ann said:

Is it a dead ball (no pun intended) once it hit him? Otherwise they could have pulled a real dick move by tagging when he was down on the ground off the bag. 

On 4/13/2022 at 4:53 PM, B-Man said:

Baseball will always be my favorite sport, but they are making it hard nowadays.

Idiotic.  HOF caliber guys in their 30s who have pitched thousands of innings don't need to be 'protected' with a junior high school level pitch count.  I'm pretty sure Kershaw knows when it's time to come out.

Baseball would literally be a better sport if they eliminated managers.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Cheers 1

4merper4mer
On 4/13/2022 at 7:53 PM, B-Man said:

It’s April and the douche bag Dodgers are trying to buy another WS.  I hate them with every fiber of my being until someone brings up the fish and the hate has to focus but I get what they did there.

4merper4mer
On 4/12/2022 at 5:45 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I don't even know the rules anymore.  It used to be you had to be able to make contact with the base - if that's still the rule then it's a really bad call.

That was NOT one of the slides they were trying to eliminate from the game, regardless.

Horrible call times 1000.  The announcers lauded Bud Black for giving it a shot.  I was thinking the opposite.  Hasn’t baseball given Bud enough in his life that he might want to show it a little more respect?