Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

On 10/15/2021 at 10:42 AM, B-Man said:

Funny, that is exactly my thinking.

I hate the Dodgers, Astros and the Red Sox, 

So I am pushing for the Astros to win the A.L. and then get swept by the Braves in the Series.

C'mon Braves.

So far so good.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, B-Man said:

C'mon Braves.

So far so good.

As a Braves fan for years, I support this sentiment! Wondering who they will bring up to replace Charlie, could we see Toussaint? Looks like the Astros have problems with harder throwing pitcher and he fits the bill

36 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Karma is having a hell of a week.

Karma.jpg

My sentiments exactly. First time in forever that I did not watch the all-star game, because of the political b.s..

I hope Hank is smiling.

• Cheers 1

On 10/27/2021 at 12:43 PM, Uncle Joe said:

My sentiments exactly. First time in forever that I did not watch the all-star game, because of the political b.s..

I hope Hank is smiling.

I stopped watching it when they decided the stupid home run derby was a bigger deal than the actual ASG.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

I wish they'd have clinched it in Atlanta so Braves' fans could lustily boo the commissioner for as long as they wanted.

I hate the Astros.

• FANtastic 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Hot Stove time of year!

Go luck with the Angels Thor.  One of my favorite Mets of recent years....cryin' shame he hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Of course, nothing can make you feel worse as a Mets fan than reading yet another solid piece from the NY Post's Joel Sherman pointing out their usual disfunction as an organization.  Even though I'm pretty sure he's a Yankees fan, he remains the best baseball writer around.  

https://nypost.com/2021/11/17/mets-ghosted-noah-syndergaard-opened-door-for-angels-pursuit/

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Welcome to the Hot Stove time of year!

Go luck with the Angels Thor.  One of my favorite Mets of recent years....cryin' shame he hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Of course, nothing can make you feel worse as a Mets fan than reading yet another solid piece from the NY Post's Joel Sherman pointing out their usual disfunction as an organization.  Even though I'm pretty sure he's a Yankees fan, he remains the best baseball writer around.  

https://nypost.com/2021/11/17/mets-ghosted-noah-syndergaard-opened-door-for-angels-pursuit/

Yes, Mets fans finally got their wish when Wilpon left. Now Cohen’s ownership doesn’t appear to be any better at this point. They can’t even get GM candidates to agree to interview. I think they’ve been turned down by 8 or 9 people. 

6 hours ago, snafu said:

Yes, Mets fans finally got their wish when Wilpon left. Now Cohen’s ownership doesn’t appear to be any better at this point. They can’t even get GM candidates to agree to interview. I think they’ve been turned down by 8 or 9 people. 

Still too early to panic, and they were shooting pretty high trying to get guys like Epstein and Beane who were unlikely to come no matter what, but certainly not if Cohen still has Alderson as his security blanket.   Let's see how it goes now that they appear to have locked down Billy Eppler for GM and have a short list of manager candidates.

There's plenty of money to fix the roster, though they miscalculated by signing Lindor early when they could have waited and decided if they wanted one of the current SS FAs instead.

52 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Still too early to panic, and they were shooting pretty high trying to get guys like Epstein and Beane who were unlikely to come no matter what, but certainly not if Cohen still has Alderson as his security blanket.   Let's see how it goes now that they appear to have locked down Billy Eppler for GM and have a short list of manager candidates.

There's plenty of money to fix the roster, though they miscalculated by signing Lindor early when they could have waited and decided if they wanted one of the current SS FAs instead.

I actually think Lindor may settle in and come around.

3 hours ago, snafu said:

I actually think Lindor may settle in and come around.

I still have high hopes, but given the huge SS FA class out there right now, seems like they could have waited.

If they get a few pieces right, it could turn around in a hurry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Six legendary names have been inducted to the National Baseball Hall of Fame, as per the results of Sunday’s special selection committee meetings. Bud FowlerGil HodgesJim KaatMinnie MinosoTony Oliva, and Buck O’Neil have all been elected to Cooperstown and will be officially inducted on July 24 along with any players voted in by the regular writers’ ballot.

Often referred to as “veterans committee” selections, the Baseball Hall of Fame now organizes an annual committee with a differing membership that focuses on a rotation of different eras in the sport’s history.  The Early Baseball (covering candidates from 1871-1949) committee meets once per decade, the Golden Days (1950-1969) committee once every five years, and the Modern Baseball (1970-1987) and Today’s Game (1988-present) committees meet twice each during every five-year period.

Last year’s vote was postponed due to the pandemic, so this winter saw both the Early Baseball and Golden Days committees each meet, resulting in 20 possible candidates for Cooperstown. Each committee was comprised of 16 members, and each member can list as many as four names on their voting ballot. Candidates must receive at least 12 votes to receive induction into the Hall of Fame.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/bud_fowler_gil_hodges_jim_kaat_minnie_minoso_tony_oliva_buck_oneil_elected_to_baseball_hall_of_fame/s1_13237_36639470?fbclid=IwAR2q6LZsZUmCemvWkBWRgq8cwpBYzuooWpj2FD85MjOp_EdeuU4EJSWh0Ds

• FANtastic 2

On 12/6/2021 at 10:03 AM, B-Man said:

Six legendary names have been inducted to the National Baseball Hall of Fame, as per the results of Sunday’s special selection committee meetings. Bud FowlerGil HodgesJim KaatMinnie MinosoTony Oliva, and Buck O’Neil have all been elected to Cooperstown and will be officially inducted on July 24 along with any players voted in by the regular writers’ ballot.

Often referred to as “veterans committee” selections, the Baseball Hall of Fame now organizes an annual committee with a differing membership that focuses on a rotation of different eras in the sport’s history.  The Early Baseball (covering candidates from 1871-1949) committee meets once per decade, the Golden Days (1950-1969) committee once every five years, and the Modern Baseball (1970-1987) and Today’s Game (1988-present) committees meet twice each during every five-year period.

Last year’s vote was postponed due to the pandemic, so this winter saw both the Early Baseball and Golden Days committees each meet, resulting in 20 possible candidates for Cooperstown. Each committee was comprised of 16 members, and each member can list as many as four names on their voting ballot. Candidates must receive at least 12 votes to receive induction into the Hall of Fame.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/bud_fowler_gil_hodges_jim_kaat_minnie_minoso_tony_oliva_buck_oneil_elected_to_baseball_hall_of_fame/s1_13237_36639470?fbclid=IwAR2q6LZsZUmCemvWkBWRgq8cwpBYzuooWpj2FD85MjOp_EdeuU4EJSWh0Ds

I like the Oliva choice and am shocked to hear O’Neil wasn’t already in.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 3:47 PM, 4merper4mer said:

I like the Olivia choice and am shocked to hear O’Neil wasn’t already in.

When you sit back and look at ANY HoF, there are omissions that have to be some kind of vendetta...because otherwise they're just impossible to explain.

THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY, AN INFAMOUS TRADE

Featured image
In the old days, baseball winters were warmed by big trades, not free agent signings which didn’t yet exist. Several huge trades heated up the winter of 1971-72. One of them — the most infamous — was consummated on this day in baseball history. On December 10, 1971, the New York Mets dealt Nolan Ryan to the California Angels for Jim Fregosi.

• Haha 1