Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

9 hours ago, B-Man said:

1990’s Atlanta Braves pitching staff. Left to right, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, and Steve Avery.

273243941_1716955088506461_2136565570397

That simply wasn't fair.  

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 7:16 PM, KD in CA said:

That simply wasn't fair.  

Neither was the strike zone they gave Glavine.

These guys were pretty good also:
Retro Baltimore: The Orioles once had four 20-game winners in one season.  No one has repeated the feat since. - Baltimore Sun

• Like 2

On 2/6/2022 at 9:16 PM, KD in CA said:

That simply wasn't fair.  

They were probably the best team in baseball 10 times during that run.

The Babe
Sportsman’s Park, St. Louis, October 6, 1926

2_baberuthjpg.webp

Bettmann/Getty Images

Babe Ruth didn’t break a mold so much as create one. He began his career at the end of a Dead Ball era, when managers emphasized baserunning and defense, and the sacrifice bunt was a significant offensive weapon. But rules changes—including the banning of the spitball in 1920 and enforcement of regulations against other doctored pitches—set the stage for a new kind of offensive star, and Ruth showed baseball the power of swinging for the fences.

He began his career in 1914 as a mighty lefthanded pitcher with the Red Sox, going 67–34 with a 2.07 ERA over his first four seasons. But Ruth soon saw that he would be better off concentrating his energies at the plate. In ’19 he hit 29 home runs, then a single-season record. That offseason Boston sold his contract to the Yankees for $100,000. In the first year in his new home Ruth hit an astonishing 54 home runs, more than the totals of every other team in the league but one. The original “Ruthian” blasts elevated this former Baltimore street urchin with the moon-shaped face into the biggest star sports had ever known—given to feats such as hitting three home runs in a single World Series game, which he is in the process of doing in the photo at right. Ruth was a hot-dog eating, whiskey-drinking, showgirl-dating, orphan-aiding, shot-calling, management-sassing, big-money-earning Sultan of Swat. And in the years following the 1919 Black Sox scandal, when many baseball fans were disillusioned or disenchanted, Ruth was a player to enchant and to believe in. He set home run records for a single season (60 in ’27) and a career (714) that stood for decades, and to this day he holds the career mark in slugging percentage and OPS.

Ruth was the best.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/11/06/story-baseball-100-photographs-sports-illustrated-book

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Shouldn't be playing regular season games in March anyhow.

AMEN !

from a devote baseball fan.

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Shouldn't be playing regular season games in March anyhow.

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

AMEN !

from a devote baseball fan.

But, but March Spring Training in Arizona with 70 degree weather will be missed.

I hear that MLB is going to ban the infield shift.

How about making the game more entertaining by training batters to, uh, hit the ball the opposite way?

Analytics has absolutely ruined this game.

MLB also wants to institute a pitch clock.  That's fine, but I hope they also ban batters from leaving the box between pitches.

The game is nearly unwatchable anymore. And it is the league's fault.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, snafu said:

I hear that MLB is going to ban the infield shift.

How about making the game more entertaining by training batters to, uh, hit the ball the opposite way?

Analytics has absolutely ruined this game.

MLB also wants to institute a pitch clock.  That's fine, but I hope they also ban batters from leaving the box between pitches.

The game is nearly unwatchable anymore. And it is the league's fault.

I agree, but even if they institute those changes I wouldn't care .......IF

They get rid of that horrible designated 2nd base runner in the 10th inning,   and

The seven inning game SHIT Baseball is nine innings !!

• Cheers 2
  • FANtastic 1

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I agree, but even if they institute those changes I wouldn't care .......IF

They get rid of that horrible designated 2nd base runner in the 10th inning,   and

The seven inning game SHIT Baseball is nine innings !!

And now that Posey is retired, they can go back to home plate collisions?

That extra inning rule is the worst.

The relief pitching rules (while trying to speed up the game) are pretty bad, too.

This isn't the same sport from even ten years ago -- and it isn't better.

Old Man Yells At Cloud' - DevOps.com

Edited by snafu
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, snafu said:

And now that Posey is retired, they can go back to home plate collisions?

Time flies. March 11, 2014 Spring Training photo. I just had this feeling Posey was going to go hit a home run on the next pitch.
Caption: Buster Posey admiring his yard work.

And yes, the game has changed for the worse.

Posey.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 3/8/2022 at 1:10 PM, snafu said:

This.  Watching some asshat going through a 30 second OCD routine after every pitch is one of the worst things in sports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

This.  Watching some asshat going through a 30 second OCD routine after every pitch is one of the worst things in sports.

But watching Mookie Wilson look like he was battling cerebral palsy like Josh Blue was somewhat fun.