Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

59 minutes ago, Foxx said:

As much as I am anti-replay, I don't see any downside to computer balls/strikes calls. 

Every person who has ever played whiffle ball has figured out a better solution to calling balls and strikes than MLB.  Hell, let's just do that....set up a lawn chair behind home plate and if you hit the frame or inside, it's a strike.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

...set up a lawn chair behind home plate and if you hit the frame or inside, it's a strike.

This alone would be a 100% improvement over what currently exists.

23 hours ago, KD in CA said:

As much as I am anti-replay, I don't see any downside to computer balls/strikes calls. 

Every person who has ever played whiffle ball has figured out a better solution to calling balls and strikes than MLB.  Hell, let's just do that....set up a lawn chair behind home plate and if you hit the frame or inside, it's a strike.

I had an opinion from the mound for years. Then I got behind the plate and catcher for a year and that opinion changed.

As to the thread, I had given up an opposite field homer on a breaking ball low and away. So the next pitch I rear back with all I had and threw a cock shot fastball to the cleanup hitter (middle, middle) and the ump called it ball. So the catcher and I agreed to show the umpire what a ball looked like on the next pitch. The ump's hand was shaking when he came out to the mound and hand me a new ball along with the lecture. He knew he screwed up.

• Haha 1

"It’s nuts. It’s something so simple. It’s the standard, in my eyes, and it’s gone everywhere."

Said a high school boy named Eric Fila, quoted in "High school catcher baffled by attention for his ‘simple’ act of sportsmanship" (WaPo).

Video of a walk-off single in the 10th inning of a Virginia state quarterfinal baseball game went viral last week

— not because of the clutch hit but for the reaction of the losing team’s catcher in the wake of a season-ending defeat.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

"It’s nuts. It’s something so simple. It’s the standard, in my eyes, and it’s gone everywhere."

Said a high school boy named Eric Fila, quoted in "High school catcher baffled by attention for his ‘simple’ act of sportsmanship" (WaPo).

Video of a walk-off single in the 10th inning of a Virginia state quarterfinal baseball game went viral last week

— not because of the clutch hit but for the reaction of the losing team’s catcher in the wake of a season-ending defeat.

Kinda sad it's newsworthy that someone raised their kid properly.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Alaska Darin

I don't know why every team in baseball isn't honoring Albert (like they did with Mariano) but he was clearly the best player in baseball for over a decade and one of the best hitters of all time.  Bravo to the chowds.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin

I didn't really know what to think of the Yankees' roster when this season started and I'm still pretty weirded out by how much time Hicks and Gallo are actually playing but my gosh this team is good.  The starting pitching/bullpen are off the charts.  Taillon has cleary found his way back after TJ and Clay Holmes just broke Mo's record for consecutive scoreless innings. 

49 wins in 65 games is insane.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Alaska Darin
12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Given how the Yankees were hitting, that was the most exciting thing going on for the better part of two games.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Admittedly, I don't watch baseball because I don't have any problems trying to fall asleep, but if we can incorporate more plays like this, I might start watching.

• Like 1

4merper4mer

I’ve had Luis Garcia of the Astros…..there are 3 Luis Garcia’s…..I’m talking about the Astros one.  Periodically I’ve thought he looks like someone and could never figure out who.  Watching him pitch tonight it dawned on me…….Marshawn Lynch.