Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

• 2 weeks later...

Remember a couple months ago when everyone was ready to call for a subway World Series with both holding double digit leads in their divisions? 

Now the Brave have taken the lead in the NL East, the Rays and Blue Jays are nipping at the Yankees heals, and the best team in baseball might be far away from the subways on the opposite coast in the Dodgers and the best team in the AL East of the near future might be the Orioles.  Baseball is a long season and it doesn't matter who is best in May or June, it's who is best come Sep and Oct.. 

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Remember a couple months ago when everyone was ready to call for a subway World Series with both holding double digit leads in their divisions? 

Now the Brave have taken the lead in the NL East, the Rays and Blue Jays are nipping at the Yankees heals, and the best team in baseball might be far away from the subways on the opposite coast in the Dodgers and the best team in the AL East of the near future might be the Orioles.  Baseball is a long season and it doesn't matter who is best in May or June, it's who is best come Sep and Oct.. 

So true.

However, in the Mets case, they’ve been caught by the WS Champs who’ve been playing .719 since June 1st (41-16).  Even if the Mets won 2 of 3 in each series, they’d have lost ground to the Braves.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

The Mets have had a disappointing week, but they haven't collapsed.  It's just that the Braves have been ridiculously good, especially against inferior opponents.  It took them two months to get over their WS hangover, but since June 1 have been the best team in baseball.  They've swept five series since the All-Star break.  When Atlanta is playing bottom feeding teams, I don't even check their score anymore b/c they never lose those games.

Anyone can get hot in the playoffs and the Mets have played well against Atlanta and LA, but right now they aren't playing well consistently enough to run the NL playoff gauntlet.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The Mets have had a disappointing week, but they haven't collapsed.  It's just that the Braves have been ridiculously good, especially against inferior opponents.  It took them two months to get over their WS hangover, but since June 1 have been the best team in baseball.  They've swept five series since the All-Star break.  When Atlanta is playing bottom feeding teams, I don't even check their score anymore b/c they never lose those games.

Anyone can get hot in the playoffs and the Mets have played well against Atlanta and LA, but right now they aren't playing well consistently enough to run the NL playoff gauntlet.

And it is a pretty big deal between winning the East and finishing second. 
The winner gets a bye. Loser hosts a 3 game series for the right to play the Dodgers (at this point). 

I like the new format. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, snafu said:

So true.

However, in the Mets case, they’ve been caught by the WS Champs who’ve been playing .719 since June 1st (41-16).  Even if the Mets won 2 of 3 in each series, they’d have lost ground to the Braves.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

As a Braves fan, I approve of this message. Scary part is, they might get even better this month as Albies gets ready to rejoin the team. Not sure what they'll do with Grissom awesome bat since he came up since Albies is an All Star 2nd baseman. Maybe try Grissom in left instead of the platoon of Rosario, Grossman/Ocuna. 

But the story of the fall could finally be the return of the Canadian Maddux in Mike Soroka. If he continues his rehab in the minors like he has, even of he doesn't start for us, he would at least be an amazing add to the bullpen for the stretch run and playoffs. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, snafu said:

And it is a pretty big deal between winning the East and finishing second. 
The winner gets a bye. Loser hosts a 3 game series for the right to play the Dodgers (at this point). 

I like the new format. 

I think 3 WCs is too many.  I was ok with 2 and the play in game because it created a real distinction between division winners and wild cards.  And I don’t like byes for only 2 division winners.

16 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I think 3 WCs is too many.  I was ok with 2 and the play in game because it created a real distinction between division winners and wild cards.  And I don’t like byes for only 2 division winners.

I hated the play-in game. 
It screwed up pitching rotations at the end of the season, and one “hot” or “cold” game didn’t necessarily determine which team was better.

And I like the fact that the higher WC seeds get all the home games, which saves travel days and is a benefit to the team with the better record. 

As for next years’ new anti-shift rules; those suck. And they’re making the bases bigger, so you’ll see fewer double plays and more stolen bases. None of that is going to make the games end in less than 3+ hours (which is supposedly the main reason for the new rules).

1 hour ago, snafu said:

I hated the play-in game. 
It screwed up pitching rotations at the end of the season, and one “hot” or “cold” game didn’t necessarily determine which team was better.

And I like the fact that the higher WC seeds get all the home games, which saves travel days and is a benefit to the team with the better record. 

As for next years’ new anti-shift rules; those suck. And they’re making the bases bigger, so you’ll see fewer double plays and more stolen bases. None of that is going to make the games end in less than 3+ hours (which is supposedly the main reason for the new rules).

Agreed on the travel aspect of the new system, but 12 is just way too many teams after having 162 games to sort out who's the best team.  As it stands now, 3d place teams in 5-team division are going to the playoffs.  That's ridiculous.

Back to the Mets/Yankees -- their respective division races should be thrilling, down to the wire, every game is critical races.  Instead, September is basically meaningless because we already know who's in the playoffs.  MLB would rather have an extra playoff series than an exciting division race. 

Agreed the new rule changes are all nonsense.  But of course, what's really nonsense is major leaguer hitters are considered decent or even good players while hitting .220.  Banning the shift simply rewards these shitty players instead of forcing teams to develop guys who can actually hit. 

The only change that can save baseball (and would speed up the game) is moving every outfield fence back 50 feet.

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 9/8/2022 at 1:33 AM, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

A6E927D7-2FBA-4BBA-A775-F70BF8476B88.jpeg

Angels are American League, right?

And Ohtani is a starting pticher, right?

So do they just declare Ohtani as his own designated hitter on days he starts?

Genuine question.  Don't know why they couldn't...but it's just interesting to me.

5 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Angels are American League, right?

And Ohtani is a starting pticher, right?

So do they just declare Ohtani as his own designated hitter on days he starts?

Genuine question.  Don't know why they couldn't...but it's just interesting to me.

Both leagues have the DH now.

Baseball put in a rule this season that allows a pitcher who bats for himself to stay in the game as the DH...yes, for Ohtani.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

Well, that's lame.  I always preferred the detailed game management that went with having a pitcher hit, and having managers worry about more than just pulling them on pitch count.

But clearly, I'm not that much of a baseball follower, for not knowing that.

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
52 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Baseball put in a rule this season that allows a pitcher who bats for himself to stay in the game as the DH...yes, for Ohtani.

49 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Well, that's lame.  I always preferred the detailed game management that went with having a pitcher hit, and having managers worry about more than just pulling them on pitch count.

This was always going to happen.

The MLBPA has wanted universal DH for longer than I can remember. The DH extends the careers of the leagues best hitters, and players in that slot make a lot more money than a (mostly) fungible utility guy whom they replace on the roster. The MLBPA represents the interests of the leagues upper earners far more so than it does the fringe roster guys.

From the owners perspective, the league has, for some time now, been creeping towards being run by the analytics crowd. The analytics crowd is vehemently opposed to the use of small ball strategies.

The whole thing is a damn shame, because the current custodians are destroying the game.

• Applause 2

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

It's so much better now that every team can have a .220 hitter at DH.  There just weren't enough guys in the lineup before swinging for home runs every at bat.  :classic_dry:

• Applause 3

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

It's so much better now that every team can have a .220 hitter at DH.  There just weren't enough guys in the lineup before swinging for home runs every at bat.  :classic_dry:

The strikeout numbers are unconscionable.