Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

Billsandhorns
4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I've never understood the continued vendetta against Rose.  He didn't cheat, his numbers are legit (and incredible). In the end, his private demons did not damage baseball. No one ever showed that he bet against his team. 

So yeah, I get the original punishment, but to still hold the grudge 30 years later when it comes to the HOF is ridiculous.  Some day we'll look back on this like we do now with Joe Jackson.

Didn't he agree to never be eligible for the hall?

• ? 1

I was cruising around Twitter and read a baseball stat tonight.  Between 1992 and 1995 Tony Gwynn scored more runs than he had…….swings and misses.  

I think it’s legitimately true but WTF?

On 2/1/2023 at 7:52 PM, Billsandhorns said:

Didn't he agree to never be eligible for the hall?

I don’t recall that he had much choice but to ‘agree’ to whatever MLB said. At this point it’s just pettiness. Especially given how deeply MLB and other sports are now in business with the gambling industry.

• Like 2

Billsandhorns
10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I don’t recall that he had much choice but to ‘agree’ to whatever MLB said. At this point it’s just pettiness. Especially given how deeply MLB and other sports are now in business with the gambling industry.

No argument from me on that 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 5:50 PM, KD in CA said:

I've never understood the continued vendetta against Rose.  He didn't cheat, his numbers are legit (and incredible). In the end, his private demons did not damage baseball. No one ever showed that he bet against his team. 

So yeah, I get the original punishment, but to still hold the grudge 30 years later when it comes to the HOF is ridiculous.  Some day we'll look back on this like we do now with Joe Jackson.

If you want to get more deeply into it...the days he didn't bet on his team he was telling his bookie that he didn't think they'd win.  Pete was my favorite player growing up and he did something that's unforgivable. 

Society is spiraling down at an unbelievable rate.  Sports betting isn't helping one bit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

If you want to get more deeply into it...the days he didn't bet on his team he was telling his bookie that he didn't think they'd win.  Pete was my favorite player growing up and he did something that's unforgivable. 

Society is spiraling down at an unbelievable rate.  Sports betting isn't helping one bit.

I was just reading an article this morning about the dramatic rise in in-game prop and parlay betting, which are stacked wildly in favor of the house.  It sounds like there’s a whole generation of people watching sports with their betting app open.  Ugh.

• Like 1

McCarver was hands down the best baseball analyst I ever heard.  Loved listening to him as the main Mets analyst back in the day.  In later years a lot of people thought he developed a case of Collinsworthitis, but his understanding of the game was second to none.

RIP

His call on Luis Gonzalez's WS winning hit in 2001 was remarkable.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Who’s pumped for another season of strikeouts, walks and homers?

I am growing to hate the game.   Whoever came up with launch angle hitting should be drawn and quartered.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I am growing to hate the game.   Whoever came up with launch angle hitting should be drawn and quartered.

I’m hopeful the pendulum will swing but worried it won’t.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m hopeful the pendulum will swing but worried it won’t.

As long as the owners will pay huge money to guys who're hitting 30+ bombs without regard to the 150+ wasted ABs they have each season, it's going to keep flying down this road.

The only way I see it changing is if one of the "never rans" puts together a team with a buncha guys who hit for higher average/OBP and that team does serious post season damage.  I don't like the odds of it happening.

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

As long as the owners will pay huge money to guys who're hitting 30+ bombs without regard to the 150+ wasted ABs they have each season, it's going to keep flying down this road.

The only way I see it changing is if one of the "never rans" puts together a team with a buncha guys who hit for higher average/OBP and that team does serious post season damage.  I don't like the odds of it happening.

The Royals won it in the early 2000s with a bunch of young guys and speed so it can happen.  Even the Astros started that way.  What I worry about is it carries on too long and there are literally no Luis Arraez’s being developed anywhere.  The good news is that it’s pretty global.  The rule changes this year should help.  I wonder how many Tony Gwynn’s and Greg Maddux’s have already been passed over.

• Applause 2
  • Cheers 1

Alaska Darin
19 hours ago, B-Man said:

330517501_3519528088283244_8080634390503

My dark sense of humor immediately said "at least when he misses a  call there's an excuse."