Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

On 2/14/2021 at 9:47 AM, Just Joshin said:

Duke is history and many fans will commit on line suicide.

Over ATOP, perhaps. But those people are cray-cray.

The Athletic (paid and worth the money, IMO)

Can the Bills afford to give Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley raises? Should they?

</snip>

Part of keeping a team together, though, is keeping the best players happy. Diggs and Beasley are in different situations. Diggs is 27 years old and has three seasons left on his deal. Beasley soon turns 32 and has two seasons left on his contract. What the two share is they are underpaid. In terms of total cash due in 2021, Diggs ranks 13th among receivers. Beasley ranks 30th.

Diggs and Beasley contracts
Stefon Diggs $12.2 million (2021 cash) $13 million (2022 cash) $12.1 million (2023 cash)
Cole Beasley $5.8 million (2021 cash) $6.1 million (2023 cash) Contract expires (2023)

Diggs signed his contract extension with the Vikings in 2018. Since then, Amari Cooper, DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones and other top receivers have all reset the market at the position. Diggs has only played two seasons of the contract he signed in 2018. The Bills also gave him a $3 million raise in 2020 after acquiring him in a trade. The way to make his contract work would be to add years to the existing deal to lower the cap hit but get Diggs more money up front. The Bills want Diggs around for the long haul, and he has plenty of prime years left in his career. He’ll get rewarded again eventually. It’s only a matter of time.

The same contract mechanism could work for Beasley, who signed on to be the Bills’ No. 3 receiver in 2019 but has since performed like a No. 2 receiver. He plays in the slot, but the Bills used three or more receivers on more than 85 percent of their offensive snaps, the most in the NFL. Slot receivers are starters in most offenses. That’s why Beasley received a vote for second-team All Pro last season. He was arguably the best slot receiver in the NFL in 2020.

</snip>

• Like 2

Bills rookie Gabriel Davis proud to represent Sanford, strives to reach Super Bowl

Gabriel Davis didn’t watch the Super Bowl. It hurt too much. Davis and the Buffalo Bills fell one victory shy of making it to the big game, and he preferred to ignore Marsha winning his seventh Super Bowl ring.

“I couldn’t watch it because it made my stomach hurt,” Davis said, “I feel like we should have been there.”

</snip>

Davis is a pro now and helped the Bills reach the AFC championship game.

“It was a great experience. A lot of the guys on the team said that I don’t know how blessed I am to go as far as we did,” Davis said. “But I feel like I do know how blessed I am. I had a great group of guys and a lot of people aren’t blessed with the opportunity I had, so it was great.”

The missed chance to play in the Super Bowl will irritate him until he finally gets there.

“That’s our standard, obviously, now. We set the standard and we’re playing to be above that standard every single year,” Davis said. “So our guys are going to get back to work and we’re going to be ready to go, and hopefully we get a big one next year.”

</snip>

“It was such a great room,” Davis said. “That room was the tightest, I feel, in the whole NFL. I learned a lot of things from the guys in front of me. … These guys are different when it comes to playing receiver and I just tried to pick up everything that I could.”

</snip>

He was also blessed to work with quarterback Josh Allen.

“Josh Allen is great. One of the best leaders I have ever been around … a straight dawg, a fighter. He’s a winner, and I’m so happy to have him as my quarterback,” Davis said.

Bills fans were happy to have Davis’ sure hands on the roster. His social-media following ballooned and his jerseys started selling at a pace behind only Allen and Diggs among Bills players. Davis got a first-hand taste of what the Bills Mafia is all about.

“Buffalo is great. The fans are great and they’re behind you 100%,” Davis said. “We came back home from [that AFC title-game loss at] Kansas City and all the fans were out there at the airport showing their support, and we just want to do it for them.”

</snip>

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 3:26 PM, GG1 said:

Friggin Lonnie was his coach?

I wonder if he tells them to "always keep your head on a swivel...be fully aware of your surroundings"?

• Haha 1

2021 NFL offseason: All 32 teams' WR situations ahead of free agency, draft

</snip>

Top three WRs in 2020: Stefon Diggs (127-1,535-8), Cole Beasley (82-967-4), Gabriel Davis (35-599-7)

A lot of people grade trades right when they happen. I do it, too -- but then I also look back to see both how the trade worked out and how my grade held up. As much as I liked the Bills' acquisition of Diggs at the time that it happened, my models actually underestimated how much of a return on investment Diggs would provide. Ahead of last season, it seemed like DeAndre Hopkins to the Cardinals would have a much bigger impact, but my math shows that Diggs finished 2020 with a slightly higher share of wins added (1.485) than Hopkins (1.482). This is even more impressive when you consider the Cardinals secured Hopkins from the Texans for dirt cheap; Diggs managed to overperform the high expectations set by the trade terms with the Vikings (four draft picks, including a first-rounder). Diggs led the NFL in receptions with 127 and receiving yards with 1,535. As a position group, Bills receivers recorded 28 deep receptions, the most in the NFL (NGS). They also had a reception percentage that was 7.7 percent above expectation (65.4 expected, 73.1 actual). 

</snip>

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

Stefon Diggs appreciates bonds built with Josh Allen and Bills in championship run, hungers for more
Coming off a massive 2020, Stefon Diggs feels even better times are ahead.

When the AFC Championship Game was over and the Chiefs were celebrating a trip to Super Bowl LIV with a 38-24 victory over the Bills in Kansas City, there was something that stood out. Buffalo receiver Stefon Diggs stayed on the field to watch the festivities. He wanted to see what he was missing.

Diggs said in an interview on CBS Sports HQ that for him it "was a moment of sorrow" but also a learning experience.

"It was a hell of a season that we had," said Diggs, who had six catches for 77 yards on 11 targets against Kansas City. "Just going into that new chapter for me with my new team. So many good things happened. To come up short in that moment I felt like I let my team down from my point of view. I felt like I could have done more. I wanted to remember that moment, I wanted to embrace it in its totality and have an appreciation of it and grow from it. I needed to go through that and see it because I know I'm a champion, and one day I will be."

</snip>

• Like 1

Bleacher Report put out a top 7 list of WRs.

Ranking the NFL's Top 7 Wide Receivers Heading into 2021 Offseason

4. Stefon Diggs, Buffalo Bills

It's kind of awesome that the Vikings essentially traded Stefon Diggs to the Buffalo Bills for Jefferson [who they ranked #7], because both were top-five receivers in 2020.

While Jefferson exploded at a cheaper rate in Minnesota, Diggs led the league with 127 catches and 1,535 yards while scoring eight touchdowns as the centerpiece of Buffalo's high-powered offense. As a result, a 27-year-old with six 700-yard seasons became a first-team All-Pro for the first time.

Arguably the league's crispest route-runner, Diggs did drop eight passes. But he made up for that by catching 15 of the 17 balls thrown his way in the fourth quarter of one-score games for a team that was in the Super Bowl conversation thanks mainly to a passing attack starring him and young franchise quarterback Josh Allen.

His chemistry with Allen is obvious. And although he might not have the same ceiling as Jefferson or Metcalf, his track record, talent and age indicate that several more extremely productive seasons likely lie ahead for the overachieving 2015 fifth-round pick.

</snip>

• Like 1