Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

4 hours ago, Robs House said:

Do we think Sanders over Brown is a good move?

I tend to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt because they know more about these guys and how they want to use them, but I would have thought Brown was a more valuable asset at this point in their careers.

It's a fair question. I'm not a salary cap guy, but on the surface, it looks like we saved almost $2M by releasing Brown and signing Sanders. There seemed to be a disconnect at the end of the season, with Brown seemingly healthy, but not playing much, if at all. I got the feeling something else was going on. I like Brown, and love what he did for us (esp. in 2019). But I love what an 11-year vet with some past star power could offer Josh.

Edited by Mahoney
  • Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
4 hours ago, Robs House said:

Do we think Sanders over Brown is a good move?

I tend to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt because they know more about these guys and how they want to use them, but I would have thought Brown was a more valuable asset at this point in their careers.

I speculate that Beane went to Brown’s agent and offered him a restructure similar to Sanders’ contract, and that Brown’s people turned it down. That would have been such a large haircut that his people may have flat out rejected it without ever even mentioning it to Brown. Or, if they did mention it to him, that he drastically overestimated his market, and now is stuck in Vegas on a 1 year deal worth 3.5m, a 500k signing bonus, worth up to 5.5m in incentives.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

I speculate that Beane went to Brown’s agent and offered him a restructure similar to Sanders’ contract, and that Brown’s people turned it down. That would have been such a large haircut that his people may have flat out rejected it without ever even mentioning it to Brown. Or, if they did mention it to him, that he drastically overestimated his market, and now is stuck in Vegas on a 1 year deal worth 3.5m, a 500k signing bonus, worth up to 5.5m in incentives.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.  Brown didn't "compete" in the playoffs at a high level - when you need him most.  He seemed to shrink in the moment.  I liked his ability to blow the top off defenses when he was healthy but it's really hard to pay money to a guy on the wrong side of 30, coming off a season where he missed significant time, with a shoddy AFC Championship game performance fresh in your mind.

Sanders is a far more physical player and Beane has had him on the radar for awhile.  I'm not at all surprised this happened, though I suspect it was Plan B.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

This is why I'd make a crummy GM. In a world where Nelson Agholor can demand $13m/yr, I'd have paid Brown ~ $10m and thought I was pretty slick.

I still think the Raiders got a bargain though.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Robs House said:

This is why I'd make a crummy GM. In a world where Nelson Agholor can demand $13m/yr, I'd have paid Brown ~ $10m and thought I was pretty slick.

And in the same world Miami paid Foster thinking Tua is going to get the ball to him.
It's nice to have Josh,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Wow. He can just about do it all. How many passes was he just wide open as all hell and with a better placed ball, he would have been off to the races.

I mean, we all knew he was good, but this good? Wow. We got a steal.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, B-Man said:

BIG NEWS !

I wonder if he will also see more action as a punt/kickoff return man, now that Andre Roberts has signed elsewhere.

• Like 5
  • Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
53 minutes ago, Hedge said:

I wonder if he will also see more action as a punt/kickoff return man, now that Andre Roberts has signed elsewhere.

I would just about guarantee it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hedge said:

I'm guessing that's where he will be making his money next season.

• Like 2